Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   blow off valve help (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/blow-off-valve-help-17583/)

volvo22t6 02-15-2008 01:00 PM

blow off valve help

I bought a blow off valve a while ago before i realized that the 2001 s80 t6(twinturbo)has a mass air flow sensor. i think if i mounted it at the normal spot for a blow off valve, that every time i let off the gas, it would probably throw the system off. does anyone know any way of like mounting before the mass air flow sensor and would it still be effective? Also how would i hook it up and where would the hose go? also could there be a way to bypass the mass air flow sensor? i appreciate any help i can get. thanks.

S70driver 02-15-2008 01:05 PM

RE: blow off valve help

1. Do not disconnect the Mass Air Flow sensor. Do not bypass it in any way.

2. I had a BOV on my s70. It was fine.

3. Aren't the s80's turbo pipes all plastic? If so how are you going to mount it? Your only other option would be to use a T-adapter and put it with the intercooler rubber turbo hoses. Like the top intercooler rubber hose. You would have to cut the hose in half, insert the T-adapter and clamps each side. Attach the BOV to the adapter and then run your vaccum line to the BOV from a vaccum source on the car.

4. It may make you run rich for that split second it went off.

volvo22t6 02-15-2008 01:18 PM

do you know where a vaccuum source is located and where would i get the t-adapter and other things that i woul need to do the job. how will I place the hose?

S70driver 02-15-2008 01:27 PM

ORIGINAL: volvo22t6

do you know where a vaccuum source is located and where would i get the t-adapter and other things that i woul need to do the job. how will I place the hose?
Not familiar with the s80's, so someone else will have to tell you where to tap into a vaccum source on your car.

1. What BOV do you have? That will help me figure out if you can in fact use a T-adapter or not.

2. I can answer your other questions after you have answered question one.

volvo22t6 02-15-2008 01:35 PM

i think it is a greddy type rs blow off valve

S70driver 02-15-2008 01:36 PM

ORIGINAL: volvo22t6

i think it is a greddy type rs blow off valve
Real or fake?

http://i4.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/ae/e1/62b2_1_sbl.JPG
In the picture, the lower right of it. Do you see the grey pipe with the top piece that looks like the bottom of the actual BOV? That is what is called a T-adapter.

What you do to attach it is cut your intercooler hose. The on on top of the intercooler, the top hose. Cut it in half and insert both ends of the T-adapter and clamp them down with hose clamps or better yet T-bolt clamps. Then you attach the BOV to the top of the T-adapter and bolt it down to it and then run a vaccum line to a vaccum source, you may have to T off from an exisiting course if there isn't any vaccum ports open or if there isn't any vaccum ports period.

volvo22t6 02-15-2008 01:39 PM

what do you mean by that?

volvo22t6 02-15-2008 01:40 PM

and if its fake how would you tell. it was like 170 dollars.

S70driver 02-15-2008 01:41 PM

Probably not fake if it was that much.

What I mean is that on EBAY you can buy real BOV's from the real manufactueres or you can buy cheap knock offs.

volvo22t6 02-15-2008 01:47 PM

where do you get one of those t adapters? i missed it if you already told me.

S70driver 02-15-2008 01:53 PM

EBAY...

Type in like BOV Adapter or Type RS Adapter for a more specific find.

volvo22t6 02-15-2008 02:00 PM

thanks a lot for your help. i appreciate it

tech 02-15-2008 06:23 PM

The S80T6 is a totally different breed in a way it might be easier to install on the S80.

There was a post about one being installed on a T6 See if you can find the post about it if not let me know and I will try to find it.

galgu 02-23-2009 06:09 PM

Did anyone managed to install BOV without going rich?

thx, Gal.

JTapper 02-23-2009 09:12 PM

You ca, but it won't do you any good. You need to dump the BOV into the intake AFTER the MAF, otherwise you'll have trouble. Usually folks only install a BOV to hear the WHOOSH! when they dump. Since you have to dump back into the intake to avoid throwing a code you will miss out on this sound anyways, and see little to no gains. When you let up after WOT you'll likely stall out since the ECU sees that air passing by the MAF and assumes it is entering the intake when in fact it's dumping to atmosphere. Some have rigged one up to work correctly but I don't think they gained anything by it. I'm way tired so this may not even make any sense...

galgu 02-24-2009 01:34 PM

Well, as you wrote, I am looking to get the WOOSH sound, so I must throw the air to the atmosphere.

I was thinking (and tell me if I got it totally wrong) that if I'll be able to send the "proper" voltage to the MAF sensor once the BOV opens, I'll bypass the problem. the thing is: am I able to know when BOV opens (electrical signal)?

Can this be done?

P.S.
I was looking in the Volvo VADIS and did find the voltage specifications for the MAF sensor.

JTapper 02-24-2009 04:26 PM

They are pretty sensitive to electrical changes so it may not be something you want to venture into. You would be sending voltage to the ECU, and not the MAF. It would take some major work, and I don't think that the ECU would react fast enough anyways, meaning if you actually sent the correct signal to the ECU regarding the drop in intake pressure, you'd likely still stall out from running to rich. Search Swedespeed and Volvospeed and you'll find that on the P2 cars you'll likely stall out if you dump to atmosphere.

Don't take it the wrong way, but the sound of a BOV will get old fast, and you will put more into making it work than will be worth it. Pulling away from someone at a light will put a bigger smile on your face than a worthless whoosh of a BOV. Save your money for some mods that will positively affect your performance like a downpipe, intake, or even tuning your wastegate a little.

galgu 02-25-2009 02:33 AM

you sure got a point :)
I guess I have to let go... ggrrrr