Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Bought an S80 project (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/bought-s80-project-70795/)

Disco2 05-05-2013 10:11 PM

Bought an S80 project

4 Attachment(s)
Currently an s40 owner and decided to buy this '99 S80 as a project. (got a good deal on it) Previous owner says a radiator hose broke and it overheated. Found out it was the hose to the heater core that burst. (see pic.) The spark plug pictured is from cylinder #4. There's a lot of stop leak in the system... and I do mean a lot! Enough to plug the heater core. My guess is that's what led to the hose bursting. I pulled all the plugs and checked compression and here's what I got: 120~40~40~20~30~100 (on a cold engine that had been sitting for a month) On a chance, I put in a bit of oil in each cylinder and all new spark plugs and fired her up. Had to crank it a few times but it turned over a little faster each time and eventually started. :D Ran it a couple minutes to make sure the oil light wouldn't come on and it wasn't knocking. No sense in going any further if it was. All good until I put coolant in and that killed it. Shooting out of the expansion tank like ol faithful. Took the plugs out and cranked it and coolant is shooting out of 3,4,5. (4 is the worst)
So I'm starting to take it apart. I know the head gasket is shot and will have the head checked. Someone has torn into this engine before.... a couple nuts and bolts are missing, new VVT, new timing belt, and a re-man alternator. One thing I like about this is that there's no turbo! Gives me some "extra" room to work. :p No hurry on this project, especially since the weather isn't cooperating.

akabond 05-06-2013 08:55 AM

congrats on the car..looks like lot of work needed eh.

Disco2 05-06-2013 11:02 AM

Only one way to find out. I know it will probably need a heater core, unless I can unplug it. If the head is cracked, then I'll have to add up the cost of replacing it and the fun of trying to get the cams timed. If I find the cylinders are destroyed then I'll just scrap it. It isn't worth it to replace the engine.

Disco2 05-12-2013 11:13 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Finally got the head pulled. HG is shot. Head is warped (.006) so I'm taking it to the machine shop tomorrow. Also noticed oil behind the lower part of the timing cover. It appears to be coming from the tensioner. (oil is dripping of of it and the cams are clean so doubt it's the cam seals) Oh well, it's all apart and is getting a new timing kit with water pump and thermostat. easier to get at the water pump with the head off.

gsbeliever 05-19-2013 10:47 AM

Got a 2003 S80 w/ 90k miles, excellent running condition, front end damage, looking to sell. Located in upstate NY near Finger Lakes.
Scott

Disco2 06-02-2013 06:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Picking up the head tomorrow. Machine shop milled it .010 and replaced the valve seals. No cracks. :) Got all the parts except they sent the wrong head gasket! Installed the water pump today and was also able to unplug the heater core. Since the CV boot was ripped, I removed it. When I went to order a new one, it says with or without viscous clutch. :confused: :confused: How do I tell? The one I pulled is the original. It says Volvo, has 3 barcodes with numbers below each and a date of manufacture of Nov 25, 1998. I did a google search on the numbers but no luck. The car has STC so I'm assuming I need the viscous clutch.

Disco2 06-22-2013 08:00 PM

FINALLY got everything together and it runs! The good news is it's not leaking coolant and no smoke coming out the exhaust. However I have a MAJOR issue! Oil is spraying out badly behind the intake pulley!! Is the cam seal supposed to be replaced when the cam is removed? No leaks from the rear of both cams and no leak from the exhaust pulley, just the intake pulley. I didn't remove the pulley when I had the head off and it wasn't leaking before I did this so I'm wondering if the seal came loose or just went bad. Everything lined up when I put the cam shafts back on the head and the cam cover so trying to figure where I screwed up. Suggestions?? :confused: