Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Brake Fluid Change (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/brake-fluid-change-80117/)

Sherry007 09-14-2014 01:08 PM

Brake Fluid Change

Hi,

I want to change my Brake Fluid since its never changed.

Volv0 s80 1999 2.9 Non Turbo. 183000 KM

Though I do not feel any problem while braking or any other issue but I do wonder it might at least requires a change after so many years.

Please share any link or instructions how to change it as well which brand or type is recommended. Will surly appreciate.

Thanks

ES6T 09-14-2014 01:57 PM

It should certainly be changed. The recommended interval is every two years or 37,500 miles.

Brand doesn't really matter, as long as it is DOT 4 fluid.

Replacement is just like any other brake bleeding procedure you can find.

Sherry007 09-14-2014 05:07 PM

Thanks ES6T. Another important Q, after all these years when I changed my transmission oil I lost the transmission, how about in this case, everything is working fine as of now but do I have to cautious before making decision?

Could you please guide any exact link or specify the instructions how to change it? how much I need etc. Will surly be thankful.

oragex 09-14-2014 05:23 PM

If the transmission works fine, at this high miles I won't touch to the oil. It will probably work fort he next 50000km without issues.

For the brakes, the only problem will be to release the bleeding nipples. They are all more or less seized, penetrating oil days or weeks in advance help quite a bit. Rear wheel bleeders are smaller in size and if you force them it will shear.

Sherry007 09-14-2014 06:05 PM

Oragex, after searching tons of information, I am still confused about 1999 S80, now they say there is a specific order to bleed LF,RR etc then I do know how to start bleeding the fluid and how long? Will surly appreciate step by step info.

Note: By the way now I know, on few occasions I had to brake suddenly and car did not response as it should "I ignored",normal braking is fine but sudden is not very responsive, maybe due to old fluid.

ES6T 09-15-2014 08:31 AM

One quart of fluid should be plenty. I always flush RR, LR, RF, LF. I think Volvo actually says to do the opposite. It doesn't really matter.

Sherry007 09-15-2014 09:28 AM

Thanks ES6T. How about the steps?
like how long I have to bleed each line?
do I have to keep open the cap of oil tank?
any other caution?

please advise.

oragex 09-15-2014 12:01 PM

Just like ES6T says, with one quarter you shoud be fine, even less if you don't manage to loosen the rear bleeders. Btw, the bleeder doesn't need to be completely removed, just released enough to see the fluid starts to flow. I to don't believe order is really important, start with front wheels, those are the most important. After opening the bleeder, try 'pushing' the caliper with your hands (eventually remove the retaining clip before). This way you will fully empty the old fluid that's inside the caliper piston. If you bleed 1/4 of the bottle at each wheel it should be fine. Oil reservoir without the cap and continuously checking so the level doesn't drop behind the min (important). Preferably don't depress the brake pedal, even if the fluid will be very slow to leak.

A good tip, once a bleeder is loosen, 'twist' it a couple of times until you feel it's easy to turn - this will remove all rust around the threads. No need to over tighten the bleeder.

Sherry007 09-15-2014 01:42 PM

Thanks oragex for valuable info.

What exactly do you mean "Don't depress the brake pedal" ???

and what if do not want to push the calipers as I know it is kind a hard to taking them off.

finally, can I change the fluid one by one like...if I change LF today and will change FR after few days ??? Is there any issue?

kalali 09-20-2014 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by ES6T (Post 396196)
One quart of fluid should be plenty. I always flush RR, LR, RF, LF. I think Volvo actually says to do the opposite. It doesn't really matter.

The idea is to start with the caliper furthest from the reservoir and work you way to the front, the last usually being the driver side front.

ES6T 09-20-2014 12:05 PM

I understand the idea behind it. But Volvos procedure actually states the opposite.

majorcode 09-21-2014 12:53 PM

I am also going to change brake fluid soon, but will only do front ones. Will start from Right. Hope things will go better.