Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Brake lights not working (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/brake-lights-not-working-45543/)

99TT 09-13-2010 05:55 PM

Brake lights not working

Hi,

I have a 99 S80 and all the brake lights have stopped working, except the
one above the rear windshield.
I changed the brake bulbs(1156 GE) but still same problem.
However, I see there are 2 more bulbs right on the same panel (one for signal, one for something else (no. 1057) but they look OK. Is there a fuse that controls this? I checked but cant find any that operates rear brakes.
Thanks for any help.

mustang 09-14-2010 07:36 AM

most likely its a small relay in the trunk. I'll look for a post that shows how to fix this, stay tuned...

mustang 09-14-2010 07:39 AM

Assuming it's a bad relay....

You can find this relay in the trunk compartment (remove a panel on the left side of the trunk side. A large electrical panel with a bunch of relays is inside. I found my thread on another volvo forum
http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index...1#entry1663029
- Links ot where you can buy the part
- How to replace
- Picture of what to look for

While waiting for my relay to ship, i just swapped the reverse light relay with the brake ligh one--seems safer to have brake lights.

Hope this helps

Kris

99TT 09-14-2010 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by mustang (Post 235871)
Assuming it's a bad relay....

You can find this relay in the trunk compartment (remove a panel on the left side of the trunk side. A large electrical panel with a bunch of relays is inside. I found my thread on another volvo forum
http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/index...1#entry1663029
- Links ot where you can buy the part
- How to replace
- Picture of what to look for

While waiting for my relay to ship, i just swapped the reverse light relay with the brake ligh one--seems safer to have brake lights.

Hope this helps

Kris

Many thanks for the help, Bro.
I switched the relays and it solved the problem.
However before I read your reply, I created another problem here..I bought a tester and I tested it to see if it works by touching one of the parking lights (2 on each side) socket. I saw a small spark and now only one light is working on either side. There is no power coming in from the one wire on each side. I wonder if the Parking lights relay is gone now.
I will try switching it. Many thanks again.

Frank

mustang 09-15-2010 08:11 AM

a spark? Double check the fuses as well, but a blown relay could be it as well.

99TT 09-16-2010 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by mustang (Post 235987)

I checked the fuses, they are ok.
Where is the relay for this? thanks.

99TT 09-16-2010 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by mustang (Post 235987)

Thanks; do you know where is the relay for this is located?

T95 09-16-2010 03:55 PM

No Brake Lights Either!!!!

So, I am having the exact same problem. I checked/ changed the bulbs & fuses, looked for loose wires and assumed it might be a bad relay. Interesting were both going through the same thing, I believe you posted today as well. Oh well hope to find the location of the relay so I can replace or exchange.
Gary

mustang 09-16-2010 08:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
On the rear left side of your trunk, fold down the panel and you will see the REM (rear electronic module) It has a few fuses and several relays.

the picture shows the general layout. the circled relay is probably the dead one. It could be different depending on the dead light side

The relay looks like this and you can order the part here
http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/PartD...spx?id=9441161

99TT 09-17-2010 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by T95 (Post 236184)
So, I am having the exact same problem. I checked/ changed the bulbs & fuses, looked for loose wires and assumed it might be a bad relay. Interesting were both going through the same thing, I believe you posted today as well. Oh well hope to find the location of the relay so I can replace or exchange.
Gary

Yeah, what a coincidence.
However, check that relay in the trunk and you can just switch it with the back up relay for now; that one is located just above the one that Mustang circled on the diagram.
I did the same and it worked; I will have to buy another relay soon/
Cheers.

Stockholm 09-19-2010 03:48 PM

This is kind of funny, I am also having the same problem. The whole same situation, break lights on the tail lights don't work but the one on the back window does. My story is a bit different though but same general idea.

Me and a friend of mine were trying to sort out the problem after changing the bulbs failed to work. We could hear a clicking noise from the rear fuse panel, so we tried to figure out where it was coming from and he figured the relay. So I got him to step on the break as I listened closely to hear the exact spot the noise was coming from, it was from the relay that was stated above in this thread, three in a row in the same spot still didn't know which one exactly though. So I got him to put his fingers on the three relays as I stepped on the break to see which one felt like it was clicking. The odd thing that happened though was when pressure was applied to the relay, the break light would work again.

So I figured it was dirt or something in the relay socket so we took them out, used the air compressor and dusted the panel off with it, put the relays back in and we were good to go again, all the lights worked like a charm.

I had noticed one of the rear fog light bulbs were missing though. So I went to Canadian Tire, picked up a bulb, put it in and now I am back to square one. So I took the new fog bulb out and I did the same thing with the relays, pulled them out, used computer duster to clear the sockets and now I am getting a 'bulb failure position light' message.

Was my beliefs false and I just swapped a bad relay into a different socket and didn't notice it was effecting something else? But why would applying pressure make the lights work, does the relay pop out of its socket when it fails?

I'll buy three new relays and just switch all of them to be safe, but before they show up would anyone have a clue to why my problem might be a unique situation? Would a multi-meter be able to tell me if they relay is pooched?

Thank you in advance :)