Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Brembo or Zimmerman rotors? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/brembo-zimmerman-rotors-34219/)

PieceKeeper 09-10-2009 02:39 PM

Brembo or Zimmerman rotors?

I'm needing to buy replacement front rotors for my '01 S80 (2.9), I'm looking at eEuroparts.com. The price between Brembo and Zimmerman is the same. What makes one better than the other? Cross drilled rotors are $25 more, what type of driving conditions would make these preferred over standard (non-X drilled)?
________
Tsd sports powered non blowback airsoft

jks2 09-10-2009 03:06 PM

I bought my rotors, Brembo OEM from FCP Groton. Cross drilled will allow for quicker cooling of the rotor surface. Unless you drive like Mario Andretti the standard rotor will do fine. It just wont look as cool as the cross drilled ones. :)

drabina 09-11-2009 07:24 AM

I also bought Brembo rotors (and Akebono Euro pads) from FCP Groton. So far (about 100 miles) and braking is great and quiet. Unfortunately, I never tried Zimmerman but I think brembo is OEM.

PieceKeeper 09-11-2009 08:52 AM

Have either of you done much mountain driving with the Brembos? I've made the mistake of using non OEM rotors before and they warped under the demands of driving down mountains.
________
Lamborghini Jarama

jks2 09-11-2009 10:49 AM

I live in Central Kentucky so mountains aren't part of my daily driving. However, as drabina said, the Brembo rotor is the OEM part for the Volvos. Based on your concerns, I would probably just go back with the OEM Brembo's. Like drabina I also purchased my rotors and the Akebono Euro pads from FCP Groton. I've been completely satisfied, especially the fact that with the ceramic pads I have NO BRAKE DUST! YEEEEEHAAAAAH!

PieceKeeper 09-11-2009 03:03 PM

Thanks for info! I see that FCP Groton has the Brembos for $55 ea.
I share your joy in not having to deal with brake dust! What a mess.
________
Volcano vaporizer

nicolaselias 09-11-2009 09:17 PM

I actually think the zimmermann was OEM as well (just not the drilled zimms)

I think they would be of equal quality and performance all things considered...
That said, I have had good experience with brembo on my other cars.. so I would probably go that route when it is time for a change..

75ohm 09-12-2009 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by drabina (Post 180574)
I also bought Brembo rotors (and Akebono Euro pads) from FCP Groton. So far (about 100 miles) and braking is great and quiet. Unfortunately, I never tried Zimmerman but I think brembo is OEM.

Same here and they are perfect... however, I recommend painting the hats.

iceracer46 09-12-2009 09:00 AM

"however, I recommend painting the hats" Agreed!

I just bought brembos. I cleaned them with brake cleaner, acetone and lacquer thinner prior to coating them with tremclad clear (I covered the braking surfaces). I like the look of the machined metal, I'll post the durability results in a few months.

The run out on the brembos, next to nil, nice.

tech 09-12-2009 09:05 AM

If anyone thinks about the Zimmermans with the I believe Zink coating on them I would stay away from them. I have had alot of problems with them. Seems like when they machine the inner part where it is close to the backing plate they do not machine it enough. I have had to adjust the backing plate on many cars to stop it from rubbing on the rotor.

mkc70 09-12-2009 09:23 AM

The Volvo OEM's have the hats already painted black and were about 74$.

PieceKeeper 09-14-2009 09:07 PM

Good comments guys. Thanks. I'll place my order for the Brembos tomorrow.
________
Two And A Half Men Dicussion