Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Bulb Light Position Failure (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/bulb-light-position-failure-4525/)

dcb07 02-13-2006 09:39 PM

Bulb Light Position Failure

I have a 2000. Everytime i drive the "bulb light position failure" message comes up. The mechanics said they fixed it and said that it means nothin that its coming up all the time. Has anyone had this problem and know what to do to make this annoying message go away for good?

tech 02-13-2006 09:41 PM

RE: Bulb Light Position Failure

That message means there is a taillight bulb out. Or someone mixed brands and it is staying on.
Are all your lights working?

eNPHANATe 12-31-2008 02:07 PM

im pretty sure, i mean, i had my mom stand outside and check all my lights when the message first popped up..

im seeing you've answered this question madd times lol

so it's a taillight issue?

tech 12-31-2008 02:18 PM

It is usually a bulb issue.

philnort 01-01-2009 01:10 PM

I've had the same problem for 4 mos...(it was the license plate bulbs). However, I had taken BOTH bulbs out, used bulb grease and replaced them with two"equivalent" bulbs from AutoZone. I have no bulbs out, however, I'm STILL getting the message. Tech, is it possible the 'error' remains in the computer and can only be permanently cleared with the Volvo scanner ??

tech 01-01-2009 02:12 PM

No the tags lights are also not in the system. But the system measures resistance for the bulbs so if you have 2 different brands in there that can mess it up.
Also make sure you have 4 lights that light up total in the tail lights 2 per side.

philnort 01-01-2009 02:21 PM

Nope...the two license plate bulbs are identical....same brand/same package. I'll triple check the TAIL LIGHT scenario. Again, sometimes, the message won't come on at startup. Other times, the message will appear, then go out...along with the warning triangle....within 10 minutes.

ALso, it was the license tag lights that started this whole thing 4 mos ago...one original bulb had indeed burned out.

??????

gordon368 01-01-2009 04:08 PM

its so tricky to find the right one lol... too bad they dont tell which side is out heh..

I think for the license plate lights, there is no indicator or error message for them. I could be wrong tho.

Crito 01-01-2009 04:31 PM

You could also be right.

tech 01-01-2009 04:42 PM

Like I had stated above the tag lights are not in the warning system.

So it has to be a bulb problem with the parking lights.

Magnum PI 03-11-2010 01:41 AM

Tech is sooooo right, there are 2 tail light bulbs per side. I thought after I changed the burnt out license plate light I would be done.
But I had 2 tail light bulbs out, 1 on each side.
So even though I would look and see the tail lights on, I didn't realize each had 1 burnt out. Must be duplicate for safety reasons...darn those Volvo engineers. Hey, with no fog lamps, my fog lamp bulb is just there to complete the circuit, right?