Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   A/C Noise (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/c-noise-71212/)

carlsson 05-27-2013 03:07 PM

A/C Noise

So after my alternator was replaced by a indy mechanic, and after the new Volvo alternator that he put in, failed again, I took it to Volvo. Volvo replaced the part under warranty including labour. Now when the A/C is on there is a metallic sound on take off, but not really anytime else. The compressor is making some noise but not loud.

Taking suggestions - I hope its not the compressor.

torontos80t62000 05-27-2013 03:40 PM

I have see this same problem. My shop works on volvos sometimes ;)..it was a s60 non turbo...his problem was a\c compressor . You could have worn out barrings inside the assembly clutch or pulley ....that's maybe what the metallic noise could be.IF ITS not on its way out those might be signs that it is coming.. I would check the ac for loose worn part or just start with replacing smaller parts first. Its not easy to get @ but doable . With new unit its 350$ plus new freon..75$. no way! $$$$$$$$$..so i would start with the A\C COMPONENTS if the start up noise is not bothering YOU TOO MUCH!!!!!! (around 150$new assembly)......... Hope it helps..ps if it runs cold your freon should be fine in my opinion... (i would get it used whole unit.....

Toronto Canada s80 T6 2000 196,000 and counting polar arctic metallic tinted

carlsson 05-27-2013 06:29 PM

Thank you,

Blows icey cold - it bothers me just incase its something really wrong. I read that the thermo check valve may need an adjustment? On 2010-2011 models there is a TSB for it.

torontos80t62000 05-27-2013 06:38 PM

100% of volvos parts in my experiences have not downright failed for me even.....But ... before they go they have always given me a clear sign.or some rattle, something was not right.........Your gravy for now ...i guess....but we can both agree something is not right!!.....

With my v70 that I drove to the ground .just to see how far it would go...and boy i had 4-5 inches of play in the front end before i blow a tire on the hi-way. Then the cv joint separated BECAUSE THE BALL JOINT popped out at a traffic light out of no where(I WONDER) my v70 was done.she spilled oil on the street like a stuc pig ....live fast and almost die young 7years ago!.volvos are not cheep their parts are 3x better than average quality in the metal department .SAFETY FIRST EVERY ONE

Respect carlsson

s80 BI-TURBO 2000

carlsson 05-27-2013 07:14 PM

Yeah something isn't right, I wasn't disagreeing with you.

If I offended you I am sorry, I didn't mean to be. I am just trying to figure out if I can wait for a week or two or its now and about how much it will cost. I read some spots that its the valve or low on freon but the icey cold means good on freon, and I am surprised that it came along after my alt. was replaced.

torontos80t62000 05-27-2013 07:16 PM

NO NOT AL ALL BROTHER.....I JUST BEING COMICAL ...your a volvo owner ......your a friend of mine...thats why i said your gravy....in my opinion !!!!...I don't use gravy with anybody .......BI-TURBO is my wife ... ......I mean .........my life..

sorry honey! baby doll..i love youuuuuuuu

carlsson 05-27-2013 08:04 PM

Thank you!:D

torontos80t62000 05-27-2013 09:13 PM

Respect

ES6T 05-28-2013 01:49 PM

What is an A/C assembly?

torontos80t62000 05-28-2013 02:33 PM

GOOGLE IT...... REALLY YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE A WILD GUESS ? wow you still on my case... im glad i am inside your head..but you need to start helping other people i know your in love with me but i am sorry i don't have time for you right now...I am in a committed relationship and not interested..............ps my advice STOP poking the sleeping dragon....

AC ASSEMBLY =HOSE, CLAMPS, CLUTCH ; ES6T your on the attack i am sorry but this is not going to work out for me ...

POST EDIT- THE WORD (CLUTCH) SHOULD READ CLUTCH SPACER....

ES6T 05-28-2013 03:13 PM

I am not attacking you, just trying to help future forum searchers figure out what the hell you are talking about. Grow up.

There is no such part as the A/C assembly. You just listed three different parts. There are many parts to the A/C system and they have names.

torontos80t62000 05-28-2013 04:33 PM

My best guess is worn barrings and once it gets going the force spreads internal balls outward because insides may be broken, and hes fine.but i could be wrong! .im just trying to help him figure out to the T what his options are..BRUDA p.s.here is my proof end of story.

POST EDIT; I MEANT TO SAY CLUTCH SPACER

carlsson 05-28-2013 07:51 PM

ES6 any suggestions? I see your a Master Volvo Tech.

ES6T 05-28-2013 09:06 PM

So you are talking about the compressor? Or the compressor clutch?

There is no part called "A/C assembly" and I'm done arguing with you about it.

carlsson- It could be the A/C compressor or the clutch. I'm not sure if that is what my buddy here was referring to. I have seen a few come apart on the new inline 6. If you look around the clutch area, you might see excessive rust colored dust, which may be an indication it is pretty badly worn.

carlsson 05-29-2013 05:06 PM

Thanks-

I don't see anything- so I am assuming compressor? Seems early-

I already read it could be a valve adjustment on the A/C?

gabyman97596 05-29-2013 09:57 PM

Never heard of A/C assembly either. Just by its components. I think you are overreacting. #justsaying

torontos80t62000 05-29-2013 10:22 PM

most common ac components that fail around here in Toronto our weather is much different in last few years , are the ac components or the parts that assemble around the ac....that's what he called it
Its just a small package of parts they offer that's all.....hose some clamps and A clutch SPACER.....that's what we call it i have no idea what other people may refer them to 35thousand mils away.......bye bye now.....

POST EDIT; THE PARTS I MENTIONED HERE, THERE WAS SOME CONFUSION THE WORD (CLUTCH) SHOULD HAVE SAID (CLUTCH SPACER)....

ES6T 05-30-2013 11:41 AM

No, I didn't call the Volvo guys because I am a Volvo guy. There is no single part called the A/C assembly. If you refer to the A/C assembly, that would sound like the whole system- high and low pressure hoses, condenser, evapor... Wait, why am I wasting my time with you?

migbro 05-30-2013 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by torontos80t62000 (Post 354353)
ps my advice STOP poking the sleeping dragon....

Poke.

Aaaaaaargh!

LOL.

Kiss4aFrog 06-04-2013 03:13 PM

We're here to help Carlsson try to figure out a problem noise and maybe asking him to post a clip of the noise would be the most helpful.
If you aren't here to help Carlsson find a solution but just trying to be the funny guy like you say you are to your friends, you're missing the point of this forum and you need to go be funny with them.