Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   A/C - Starts Perfectly, Then Dies Off (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/c-starts-perfectly-then-dies-off-6404/)

ATL_S80 06-21-2006 11:48 PM

A/C - Starts Perfectly, Then Dies Off

I just bought an 2001 S80 2.9 Non-Turbo a week ago. I love the car - everything with it is perfect except the air conditioner.

When I start up the car, the A/C is extremely cold and seems to work perfectly. However, after running for 15 - 20 minutes the A/C quits blowing cold air. The fan continues to blow at this point, but even though the A/C is still turned on, cold air will not blow.

The catch is that if I turn the A/C off for five minutes or so and then turn it back on, the A/C seems to work great again. Although it will then only blow cold air for 5 - 10 minutes until I have to repeat the turn off / turn on cycle to get any cold air.

Now I don't know a thing about A/C's, but it seems to me that I am probably not short of refrigerant as the A/C does blow cold air. This leads me to the conclusion that some sort of valve must be "broken" or "stuck" based on overheating.

Anybody experience a similar problem or have any thoughts on this? I'd be curious to know what parts you think are involved and how much I should be expecting the Volvo guy up the street to quote me.

Thanks

tech 06-22-2006 12:56 AM

RE: A/C - Starts Perfectly, Then Dies Off

Next time it happens try to pull over and quick open the hood and look at the pipes by the body at the bottom of the windsheild. They are black. See if they are Iced or frozen.
If so then you have a bad Evap temp sensor. You could probably replace it your self if you can use tools.

It is not that hard to do. The worse part of the job is finding it. Which is still pretty easy.

Not sure hoe much the sensor is.

EnzoRacing 08-05-2006 09:21 PM

I'm having the same exact problem... Did you ever figure out what was wrong with yours?

I'm noticing that the a/c compressor is shutting off. This is why were not getting cold air.

Question now is why. The a/c lines on my car aren't freezing up.

tech 08-08-2006 12:56 AM

When the compressor shuts off check for power at the compressor you might have a bad clutch.
If you have power and the compressor is off the clutch is bad.

gmc1 09-08-2006 11:02 PM

The Volvo S80 has climate control.Unlike North American cars that will pump cold air continuosly the Volvo S80 will only cool to the set temperature, then shuts itself off until the temperature rises above the set temperature.

JPizano23 09-12-2006 12:40 PM

Mine used to do the same thing, if I kept trying to use it while I drove the temp gauge would go up. Ended up that when the car started to over heat, the A/C would shut itself off, I guess to keep the temp down. The car had a recall on the fan, have you taken it in for that?

EnzoRacing 06-26-2007 04:59 PM

ORIGINAL: gmc1

The Volvo S80 has climate control.Unlike North American cars that will pump cold air continuosly the Volvo S80 will only cool to the set temperature, then shuts itself off until the temperature rises above the set temperature.
Yeah but the problem is i have it set to the coldest setting and it will stop blowing cold air.
And i know the temp has not reach the set temperature as i'll be sweating big time in the car...

kibby22 05-23-2008 09:41 AM

ok i am having this same problem....seems to be common. i just went outside to check to see if i could hear the clutch turn off when the air gets warm......however of course when i check it ....it stays blowing cold air. I will check it better when the hubby gets home cause he has the tool that i need to check to see if i have power to the clutch. I saw the lines that you are talking about .... ya know freerzing up......well i did notice that there was a lot of condensation accumulating on tha hose with an occasional drip....but no ice. But then again i am in texas and it takes alot to freeze here and it is humid as hell.[sm=smiley18.gif]

but i do have a question about what you said with the power to the clutch........

Ok well with mine when the ac starts gettin warm i just turn off the ac and sweat it out for a few then it is back to normal....... if power was the problem wouldn't that be an all the time problem and not click back on after being turned off?

tech 05-23-2008 06:07 PM

When the clutch shuts off the wire will most likely still have power. Which means the clutch should still be activated but because the gap is to big the magnet can't hold it when it gets hot.

kibby22 05-24-2008 11:57 AM

i am guessin that you can't just buy the clutch to replace it.....

i am about 90% sure this is what is wrong withmy a/c cause it tends to get worse when it is hot outside.......and after it shuts off doesn't take a long to click back on, when it is cooler (mornings)

am i gunna need any special tools to fix the clutch..... and do you know the gap that it is supposed to be?

and are you just putting washers in there?

tech 05-24-2008 12:32 PM

You might need a puller. Thats what I use.
You remove one shim.
In the 850 section I made a post about shimming them.