Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Camshaft Position Actuator A - Bank 1 Timing Over-Advan. (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/camshaft-position-actuator-bank-1-timing-over-advan-2804/)

EmailBenn 09-21-2005 02:07 PM

Camshaft Position Actuator A - Bank 1 Timing Over-Advan.

Help, I have a wonderfully annoying 1999 Volvo S80 2.9 that has a check engine light on, the code is a P0011 which is a Camshaft Position Actuator A - Bank 1 Timing Over-Advan. Volvo said I do not have a camshaft position actuator so I just replaced the camshaft position sensor. I pulled the 5 amp fuse to the ECU to reset the light and it went out until 2nd time I started my car and it came back on. The car runs fine although every once in a while it is hard to start. Does anybody have any idea how I can correct this?
Thanks
Benn[:@]

tech 09-21-2005 10:06 PM

RE: Camshaft Position Actuator A - Bank 1 Timing Over-Advan.

If the Cam position sensor is bad then it is mounted on the back of the head.By the left side of the car.
Try replacing the sensor.

EmailBenn 09-22-2005 01:11 AM

I changed that, it is located about 6 inches away from the oil cap and is held in place with one bolt. It took less than 10 minutes to change but I still have the light on. I was using an Actron code scanner, it is possible that it can't read what is really wrong with the car? The scanner said it was an actuator, Autozone said it was the sensor. Since I was told I do not have an actuator I changed the sensor, but no luck on getting a working car.
Thanks
Benn

tech 09-22-2005 09:57 PM

The Cam position sensor is located on the back of the head by the brakes master cylinder.

I think you replace the CVVT valve.

EmailBenn 09-23-2005 12:14 AM

I replaced this sensor, ( the one with the yellow line pointed at it) you can see the old one hanging next to it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2115/B1456D19CDC3420AB125EA3D9858A282.jpg[/IMG]

tech 09-23-2005 08:29 PM

Did you have the timing belt replaced lately?

EmailBenn 09-23-2005 10:08 PM

No it is on my To Do list because I do not know if the last owner had it changed.

tech 09-24-2005 12:42 PM

Just wondering because if they did and it is off a tooth it will set that code as well.

EmailBenn 09-24-2005 09:26 PM

I owned the car for over a year and 15,000 miles before check engine light came on. Sometimes it is a little hard to start but I had been driving it for 6 months before I changed the sensor. Right now I would have to assume the timing belt is in the right spot since it runs fine. I only had the one code in it, 0011, but I will take it back to Autozone and see if a second code has appeared since I changed the sensor.

EmailBenn 09-26-2005 09:14 PM

OK I had the code pulled again and I still have the same problem, a check engine and emission service required light with a P0011 code. I think I have run out of options on what is wrong with my car. I talked to my parts guy and he said it is extremely unlikely that I got a bad part; it was not an aftermarket part but a genuine Volvo camshaft position sensor.
Help!

tech 09-27-2005 08:44 PM

Let me see if I can find anything out tomorrow.

EmailBenn 09-27-2005 10:44 PM

Can you make sure there is no such thing as a camshaft position actuator on the car? My closest dealer told me there was not but they also told me it would cost $800.00 to replace a water pump even if I had them do it while changing the timing belt, which was a bargin at 479.00.
Thanks

tech 09-28-2005 01:20 AM

I will check tomorrow.

EmailBenn 10-02-2005 11:16 PM

Any luck finding out why my car has this mystery problem?
Thanks

tech 10-03-2005 12:35 AM

Still gathering info.My computer at work is an aftermarket setup checking on there and waiting to hear from a buddy at the dealer.

EmailBenn 11-17-2005 02:43 PM

I have been forced to take this to a dealer and see what they say about my check engine light. My new list of problems include a passenger door lock that unlocks for no appearent reason (but the alarm goes off if you open the door) and the big red brake failure pull over now light. This should be fun, maybe they can tell me why my remote does not work more than 10 feet away even after I put new batteries in it.

tech 11-17-2005 09:54 PM

Sorry but I couldn't find out to much more. I kind of wish I was still at the dealer and I could do it myself.
The door lock poping back up is a bad door latch assembly.

The brake light might be the ABS module bad.

EmailBenn 12-16-2005 02:52 PM

OK I bought a new Camshaft Variable Valve Timing (CVVT) solenoid and changed it. That was the easy part since it is on top of the head and right next to the timing belt, it took about 30 minutes. I pulled the fuse to the ECU to reset the codes but guess what, the check engine light is still on. I have also acquired a few new codes since then, P1618 which has something to do with my transmission and P0722 which I think might be a bad abs computer. In Delaware you can not renew your registration with a check engine light on so it looks like I am screwed.

Oh yeah in the beginning when I asked the dealer for a camshaft position actuator they said I did not have one and sold me a $150.00 sensor instead. When that did not work they tech said I should change the solenoid, apparently they do not know that a solenoid and an actuator are the same thing, especially since I had to explain it to them 4 times, because they almost put another sensor in my car.

tech 12-16-2005 09:37 PM

But did the same code for the actuator come back?

EmailBenn 12-17-2005 03:55 AM

Oh yes it did, plus 3 new codes. As I type my car de-evolves into a dead goat carcass....

I have done everything except to pay the dealer to fix the problem and then blame them when it does not go away.