Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Camshaft Seals / Water Pump / Oil Pump / Timing belt change (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/camshaft-seals-water-pump-oil-pump-timing-belt-change-74624/)

majorcode 11-03-2013 12:12 AM

Camshaft Seals / Water Pump / Oil Pump / Timing belt change

Recently I see a massive oil leak from the timing belt side and initially found that Camshaft seals are leak. I have ordered the new seals except for the oil pump.

I am not driving the car because I see the pulleys are seems moist with oil.

Before leaks can be seen only after a drive but once I put as a matter of first aid Eagle Gold Engine Stop oil leak but now I can see continue drops from last 2 days and I understand why it happens might be because of over swelled seals.

As per visual inspection I think my oil pump is also leaking but cannot be sure unless the whole things will be out (Though there is no problem in drive and no low oil pressure message)

I have few main questions now

1.Though the Timing belt is seems dry but pulleys are seems moist, is it safe to drive till I receive new seal and get it replaced.

2. Once all things opened and if we found that Oil pump is also leaking, Can we use any gasket maker instead of putting new gasket?

3. While changing Water pump gasket do we have to drain the whole coolant?

Since all this work will be done by professional mechanic, so I just need to be informed so that he works as per Volvo instructions.

Regards

BigV592 11-04-2013 05:21 PM

I did a similar repair on my S80 recently and will offer a few thoughts:

1. I wouldn't drive it. My car lost over 4 qts of oil very quickly through a camshaft seal. Yours might not be that bad, but it could easily get there on the road.

2. The oil pump gasket is only a few dollars. Volvo recommends replacing it if you are replacing the oil pump.

3. I would recommend draining the coolant before you take off the water pump, otherwise you are going to have coolant go everywhere. Even after draining it a fair amount will come out when you remove the water pump.

Camshaft seal leaks are almost always caused by positive crankcase pressure. You might want to check out your crankcase ventilation system so it doesn't happen again.

majorcode 11-04-2013 06:02 PM

BigV592
Thanks for the info, seems very informative.

Coming to the question 2, Since I have already ordered the items therefore I may not able to get oil pump seal. Can my mechanic use Gasket maker to reseal it? does it work? I might not change oil pump since it seems working (No error code and engine is running fine) and car has just 168K KM.

Regarding crankcase ventilation, Just week ago I replaced new PCV oil trap which is working fine now but got this problem.

Right now I am worried about oil pump gasket because I do not want to change get to that place again.

BigV592 11-04-2013 06:18 PM

Majorcode,

I don't have any experience with Gasket maker. I will leave it to someone who has used it chime in. Good luck.

difflock54 11-04-2013 06:41 PM

The oil pump is a very critical engine component.
There is no way I would personally ever entertain the idea of using gasketmaker in lieu of a properly manuf' gasket to suit the pumps profile precisely.
Just isn't worth the risk !
Surely a gasket comes with a new pump unit ?

Sounds like you might need to service your PCV system too.
Camshaft, crankshaft and rear main seals can blow quickly if the PCV is at positive pressure.
Do a glove test over your oil filler opening with engine idling. Should be a noticeable vacuum.