Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Central Door Lock Problem (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/central-door-lock-problem-17311/)

magak2572 02-05-2008 01:56 PM

Central Door Lock Problem

Problem: The central door lock button on driver's door only locks all doors but not unlocks. At first it did this itermittently (not unlock) but now it never unlocks - only locks. If it is a switch problem the replacement of the entire switch cluster is quite expensive. Can the contacts in the switch be accessed to clean? If it isn't a switch problem what is it? Any help would be appreciated. The car is an '02 S80 T6.

Thanks

magak2572 02-05-2008 04:10 PM

RE: Central Door Lock Problem

Thinking about it some more: I imagine the system senses ifone or moredoorsare unlocked then locks all doors when the button is pushed. Only if all doors are locked will it unlock when the central lock button is pushed.Therefore could it be also possible that one of the door sensors is not working properly making the system think that one door is still unlocked and thus continuing to try and lock it?

Eric J 02-05-2008 06:52 PM

Pull the switch and do a continuity check on the terminals to look for malfunction. If so, then you can determine if it's worth dissecting or possible to repair.

tech 02-05-2008 07:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Eric J

Pull the switch and do a continuity check on the terminals to look for malfunction. If so, then you can determine if it's worth dissecting or possible to repair.
That won't work on his car.
The window/lock switch is a computer. It isn't just a simple switch.

They are really wacky.(Door lock system)
I see cars like that all the time.

Eric J 02-05-2008 08:22 PM

I thought as much, Next thing you know, they will be putting computers in to monitor other computers that monitor other computers, to make sure they are computing computations correctly. This will ensure that the engine will shut down safely without damage, next time your cigarette lighter fails !

nicolaselias 02-06-2008 12:47 AM

I have a similar problem, in that my back leftside door doesnt tend to lock when using the driver or remote controls... However it unlocks with the remote... The functioning of the button on the drivers door depends on the mood of the back left door, if its in a good mood, that button will work fine for opening, but if the back left door is in its bad mood, the rest of the doors are not going to open when i press the button on the driver door.... while strangely, the doors will open when I use the remote..
I know it sounds really complicated but i guess the back left door is overriding the rest of the system in a way..
I would love to fix it as I have to check the back left door everytime i get out the car, but i have no idea how much this would cost or what kind of hassle il be faced with

magak2572 02-17-2008 12:01 AM

I've been trying to zero in on the source of my central locks temperment and guess what? It seems to behave at the mercy of the rear left door also! Maybe changing the lock will fix it.

tech 02-17-2008 07:37 AM

Sounds like you might have found the problem.

nicolaselias 02-17-2008 07:50 PM

I suspect il have to accept it as it is now, because the sheer cost of fixing something like that, i dont think its worth it considering the minor inconvenience.. I dont have any children or anything like that for me to have to worry about the locks to such an extent... il see how it is, its been working slightly better ltely but still its subject to the feelings of the left back door

PB 08-15-2008 03:22 AM

Hi

Did you sort the door locking problem please? My V50 has just startedthis intermittent fault with left rear door after a spell of wet weather. Any ideas?

Thanks
Paul

t5ftw 06-12-2010 02:11 PM

My door locks are failing. The front diver side one does not work well. I sometimes see the pin moves only half on its way. So, I have turn the key twice to make it fully lock or unlock.
Today, I slammed the rear driver side door to close, and it bounced right back to me. It would not close but magically started working again after 20 minutes or so. While it was not closing, I still saw the door pin moves up and down as I unlocked and locked from the master switch on the front driver door. Has any one tried cheaper alternative than OEM latch part?