Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   changed time belt now wont start (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/changed-time-belt-now-wont-start-39016/)

silencecom 02-14-2010 10:16 AM

changed time belt now wont start

I'm installing the timing belt with out the special tools and without the engine in time. I know where the cam marks need to like up. What I don't know is A: where does the crank need to b when the cam timing marks are lined up with the ticks on the cover? Like do I put the crank with #1 @ TDC? Or is there another way? And B: do I need to preload the exgaust vvt? I'd so what method do I use? As of right now I got it together with #1 cyl at TDC and cam marks line up with NO load on vvt. Car won't start and sound like it has NO compression so I musta got it wrong. Thanks for any help.

tech 02-14-2010 10:22 AM

You should have marked everything good before you took it apart.
The crank has a mark that needs to be lined up. There will be some tension on the VVT pulley. But hopefully it is not already to late and you have bent valves.

silencecom 02-14-2010 10:51 AM

Tech. Can u please tell me where the crank mark is and what I alighn it with? Also I know there was a load on the vvt but when putting the belt back on do I need to load it first? Or is this done electronicly after the car is started? If I need to load it how do I do it? I would have marked everything but the reason I took it apart is because the belt skipped teeth on the crank so I'm starting from scratch. The car ran ok but u could hear the valves hitting. Didn't seem to be damaged though. I have been careful wheb rotating cams and crank as to not force anything hopefuly all is ok if I can just get the timing set. It seems as though the tensioner went bad cuz belt was loose. I changed the tensioner and belt. All other pullies seem good. Thanks

tech 02-14-2010 11:55 AM

I was trying to find the pic I had but cannot find it. On the crank there is a line on the outer edge. On the inner edge of the teeth there is small lines/notches. On the oil pump/block there is a line that you need to line the pulley up with to be in the proper position. If you line the cam timing marks up you should be fine. Since the cam may not be in the exact proper position the pulley might not load up right away. It should load once started by the oil pressure.

tech 02-14-2010 12:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you could look straight from the side it would look like this.
Attachment 21827

silencecom 02-15-2010 12:38 PM

Ok thanks, I guess the problem was I pulled the whole assy out instead of removing the harmonic balencer and accy pully. Got everythin in time and it runs good except at idle it lopes so I'm guessing I bent a valve. Prior to taking it apart it lacked power and sounded like a diesel but it ran smooth at adle so I musta did the damage while lining things up. Above 700 rpm the lope is un noticable and it runs quiet and accelerates normal so as long as I don't get a light it will have to stay that say till I can get a chance to pull the head. I have another motor here I can use as for parts. Is there anyway to know for sure I bent valves? Would a compression check tell me? How would I check it?

Jeff_Kepeli 02-17-2010 04:54 PM

The loping is caused by the camshafts not being timed properly. Check the timing marks again and you may find you are one tooth off on the exhaust cam...

tech 02-18-2010 10:12 PM

Just in case yes a compression test will tell you if there is a bent valve.