Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   CHECK ENGINE LIGHT (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/check-engine-light-18088/)

Capo Cam 03-04-2008 12:54 PM

CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

MY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT STAYS ON ALL THE TIME. I ASSUME WITH 230K MILES THIS WOULD BE EXPECTED OR SHOULD I BE WORRIED?

65mustang 03-04-2008 01:29 PM

RE: CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

I believe you should get the codes pulled and see what is wrong. It shouldn't be on all the time.

Capo Cam 03-04-2008 01:40 PM

ORIGINAL: 65mustang

I believe you should get the codes pulled and see what is wrong. It shouldn't be on all the time.
I WILL PROBABLY HAVE TO TAKE IT INTO THE DEALERSHIP TO HAVE THE CODES PULLED, IS THAT CORRECT? THERE IS ALSO A COUPLE SMALLER FOREIGN CAR SHOPS AROUND HERE THAT MAY BE ABLE TO DO IT? CAN YOU GIVE ME AN IDEA OF WHAT A FAIR PRICE TO PULL CODES IS? THE LOCAL DEALERSHIP IS OUTRAGES ON PARTS PRICING! ARE THERE ANY HANDHELD UNITS AVAILABLE THAT YOU ARE AWARE OF THAT I COULD PLUG DIRECTLY INTO THE DIAGNOSTIC PORT OR IS THERE ANY SOFTWARE THAT I CAN LOAD ONTO MY LAPTOP THAT YOU KNOW OF? IF SO COULD YOU PLEASE PROVIDE A LINK.

THANK YOU,

CAMERON

EDIT: THE DEALER IS SAYING $80.00 TO PULL CODES. CAN AUTOZONE DO THE SAME THING? I KNOW THEY USUALLY DON'T CHARGE TO PULL CODES AROUND HERE.

65mustang 03-04-2008 02:23 PM

Autozone can do the same. Here in PA they do not charge for it, but I believe they won't clear emissions related codes. Don't quote me on that. I bought my handheld scanner on ebay for $30. It gives the codes and can clear them also. It saved me a ton of time and money. Just search for OBD II scanner.

Capo Cam 03-04-2008 02:34 PM

Autozone can do the same. Here in PA they do not charge for it, but I believe they won't clear emissions related codes. Don't quote me on that. I bought my handheld scanner on ebay for $30. It gives the codes and can clear them also. It saved me a ton of time and money. Just search for OBD II scanner.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH! YEAH, I KNOW THEY WILL READ THE CODES HERE BUT WASN'T SURE ABOUT ON A VOLVO. A CO-WORKER HERE JUST LET ME KNOW THAT HIS DAD WORKS AT AUTOZONE AND WILL CLEAR THE CODES FOR ME FOR FREE IF I WANTED HIM TO.

THANKS AGAIN,

CAMERON

Capo Cam 03-04-2008 02:36 PM

OBD II scanner.
ANY SCANNER IN SPECIFIC OR SHOULD MOST ANY WORK? DO YOU REMEMBER THE SELLER YOU BOUGHT YOURS FROM SO THAT I CAN MAKE SURE TO GET IT FROM A RELIABLE SOURCE.

THANKS AGAIN

65mustang 03-05-2008 06:38 AM

No I don't. All I can tell you is the feedback rating was higher than 99%. I don't buy from less than that. The scanner is orange. Just make sure it says in the writeup that it can read and clear. Some don't.

Capo Cam 03-05-2008 09:26 AM

No I don't. All I can tell you is the feedback rating was higher than 99%. I don't buy from less than that. The scanner is orange. Just make sure it says in the writeup that it can read and clear. Some don't.
Will do, thanks again!

magak2572 03-05-2008 09:15 PM

I believe that the newer Volvo's use the "CAN BUS" protocol for the OBDII so make sure that you get one that can. I just got one ($100 on ebay) and it works just fine - does real time as well. Prices range from about $30 to a couple hundred depending on features.

Capo Cam 03-07-2008 12:38 PM

WENT TO AUTOZONE TODAY AND IT PULLED 3 CODES, 1 WAS ABOUT THE EVROPATIVE EMISSIONS. I AM GOING TO TRY A NEW FUEL CAP FIRST. (FUNNY THAT MY MUSTANG WAS PULLING THAT SAME CODE AND A NEW CAP CLEARED IT UP). THE OTHER TWO WERE ABOUT THE CATILITIC COVERTER AND WHAT WE ASSUME WAS PROBABLY THE O2 SENSORS. I HAD THE FELLA CLEAR THEM AND THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS GONE FOR NOW :D. ONLY TIME WILL TELL WHEN IT POPS BACK UP. DO YOU SUGGEST THAT I TRY REPLACING OR CLEANING OUT THE "CATS"? NEW O2 SENSOR? DOES THIS EFFECT ANYTHING MAJOR? I ASSUME IT MAY RESTRICT THE EXHAUST SOME BUT I AM NOT USING THIS AS A PERFORMANCE CAR SO THAT IS NOT A HUGE CONCERN I HAVE UNLESS IT EATS UP THE GAS MILAGE OR ANYTHING?

tech 03-07-2008 10:02 PM

If they come back try getting the codes so I k now what they are.

Capo Cam 03-08-2008 02:26 AM

ORIGINAL: tech

If they come back try getting the codes so I k now what they are.
You're right. They came back already. I will take it to "the zone" tomorrow and write them down this time. Thanks for all your help!

Capo Cam 03-15-2008 10:02 AM

TECH: Sorry for the late reply, been busy at work and such. But got a chance to run to the zone today. Pulled 2 codes, listed below:

P0422 : Definition - Catalyst efficiency low-bank 1

P0432 : Definition - Catalyst efficiency low-bank 2

Thanks in advance,

Cameron

tech 03-15-2008 11:25 AM

Any misfiring felt?
There should have been other codes with it.
Did they clear the codes?

Capo Cam 03-15-2008 04:30 PM

No misfiring felt that I know of? No, I didn't have them clear the codes this time.

tech 03-15-2008 04:59 PM

I would see if they could clear them.
Then see how long till they come back.