Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Check engine light (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/check-engine-light-7499/)

fordguy 08-31-2006 10:40 PM

Check engine light

I started a thread in the intro area as well, but im a new member by the name of Marc. Im a ford technition so i know my way around a car but i dont have access to info on volvo's so i was hoping someone here may be able to give me a hand. My girlfriend drives a 99 S-80 T6 with the 2.8 twin turbo motor. Recently her CEL came on and i pulled the codes. P1332 and P0013. I cleared them and told her to pay close attention to the car if and when they came back on. They of course did come back, but she reports absolutely no drivability issues with the vehicle, even when the codes were set. From what i can gather these codes are timing related and could possibly be set by a bad VGT solonoid for the variable cam timing, but thats all the info i seem to be able to find. I would expect drivability problems and or a nose from a bad VGT if they are anything similar in function to fords variable timing systems. The oil in the car is moble 1 with about 2200 miles since the last change, and the car itself has about 90k on the odometer. I know its about time to do the timing belt and such, but would like to get down to the root cause of the CEL before doing anything in that area.

On a side note, not related to the problem....can anyone tell me if this is an interfearance or non interfearance motor??

tech 08-31-2006 11:35 PM

RE: Check engine light

Does she ever get a Low oil pressure stop safely message?
These engines are known to sludge if not serviced reguarly.
We reccomend 3,000 miles on turbo cars to change the oil and 5,000 on Non-turbo cars.
Not saying you aren't taking care of it. But if she bought it used it might be from Before.
Also the Actuator bolted to the top of the Cam cover is known to go bad from time to time.

I will try to remember Tomorrow to Look at work for the Codes. We can Crossrefrence P codes to Volvo codes and I can tell more from there.

Also it is an interfearance engine. Check the Belt and when you change it make sure you replace the Tensioner and Idler pulleys. They are known to come apart.

Also a slim Possibility that the belt jumped a Tooth.(but not real common)

fordguy 08-31-2006 11:42 PM

if the belt jumped a tooth, wouldnt i see some sort of drivability issue though?? I know any ford would show signs, i assumed this volvo would as well....

tech 08-31-2006 11:47 PM

I have seen some of these cars off One tooth on each Cam and not affect drivability much at all.

One more quiestion has the car had the Recall software for the ETM yet?

Also if you can get a Copy of this from the Link. It will pretty much give you all the Info on everything on the car.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VOLVO...spagenameZWDVW

fordguy 08-31-2006 11:52 PM

I dont know if any software upgrades have been done. This car was purchased with a salvage title at about 70k. The left front was smashed almost to the windshied and the dash was blown on the passanger side. My girlfriends dad is a body man, and bought an identical car that was flood damaged for the sheet metal. He fixed the body work, is swapped dashes, making sure NOT to use any of the flooded electronics, and here we sit. The only problem i the last 20k of ownership of the car was a bad fuel pump at about 79k

tech 09-01-2006 12:01 AM

If there is any Idle problems Like surging and a check engine light with codes for Gas Pedal and Man. Control. Then have her Take it to the Deale but try to make sure the throttle body is clean and they will do the Recall software for free.
The warranty is 10 Years 200,000 miles on the throttle body.

I will try to look tomorrow and see what the codes are in Volvo codes so I can give you more Info.
All the wiring to the solenoid is good?

If it was that bad maybe something is damaged in the wiring. Or maybe a Ground.

fordguy 09-01-2006 12:05 AM

i have already cleaned the trottle body, but unfortuantely since it is a salvage title vehicle, all warranty that isnt safety or emmisions related is void. I know the throttle body is getting weak, it does surge at idle, but doesnt have any of the other symptoms ive read about, like dying, dimming headlights, etc. It is only at idle that it acts up. i have bought ten gaskets and clean the trottle body every other oil change....(so every 6k)

tech 09-01-2006 12:08 AM

You might want to give the Recall a try it is Emissions related.
Thats why it is a Recall because the State of California Sewed Volvo about the throttle body. When it goes bad it is part of the emissions system.

Maybe have Volvo run the Vin# and see if anything comes back on it.

fordguy 09-01-2006 12:10 AM

ill definately check on that....

tech 09-01-2006 12:13 AM

Hopefully it will be covered Better than having to Pay $1200.00 for a new one.

BTW I edited the other post I fixed the link to your Forum.

fordguy 09-01-2006 12:18 AM

Yea, if its not covered, its getting run till other problems arise from it, ill just keep cleaning it till then!!!!! lol

And thanks for fixing the link....actually i messed up with the comma, it wasnt supposed to be part of the link, it was just supposed to be a comma and i guess i was typing so fast i didnt pay attention to the fact that i put it at the end of a link....lol

tech 09-01-2006 12:21 AM

LOL I hear you.

Hopefully I will have some more Info for you tomorrow night.

Also check into getting the Vadis program. It gives you alot of Info. You can also look up your own parts and get from the Dealer by part #.

gordon368 09-01-2006 02:46 AM

quetion for you, With VADIS, lets say i install it on my laptop, will I be able to hook my laptop up to the OBD II Reader and get the information from it?

tech 09-01-2006 08:55 PM

ORIGINAL: gordon368

quetion for you, With VADIS, lets say i install it on my laptop, will I be able to hook my laptop up to the OBD II Reader and get the information from it?
You would have to also Buy the Box Called VCT2000 in order to talk to the car.
It takes a little while to get it all hooked up as well.

Fordguy some Info I found out at work is like the codes say that you have.
P1332=ECM-6440 in Volvo code Fault in Signal Cable to Camshaft Reset Valve. (Most of the time the Valve is bad)
P0013=ECM-644A Camshaft out of Position.

I would look at the Valve. Before the Belt. Unless somehow the Belt jumped a Tooth.

fordguy 09-02-2006 12:12 AM

Cool, thanks for the info man!!! ill see what i can figure out. Im gonna try fresh oil and some engine cleaner and see if i can maybe clean some sludge out as you mentioned before froma prior owner, if not, ill look into that VGT (ford term) solenoid

tech 09-02-2006 12:50 AM

Keep me posted on Progress.

dcarlson12 07-14-2011 11:53 AM

ECM-6440 did you find solution?

Just wondering if you ever found a solution?