Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Cig Lighter Blows Everytime (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/cig-lighter-blows-everytime-17387/)

Capo Cam 02-08-2008 01:22 PM

Cig Lighter Blows Everytime

Everytime I use the cigarette lighter for my cellphone charger or a cigarette lighter the fuse blows within 10-15 minutes? Any suggestions? I tried using one size larger fuse (not sure if that was a good idea or not) but it still blows out.

Thanks,

Cameron

tech 02-09-2008 09:58 AM

RE: Cig Lighter Blows Everytime

Maybe the charger is bad?
Volvo's are very touchy about cell phone chargers.

Capo Cam 02-09-2008 12:25 PM

It seems to work in my other two vehicles without any problems? This happens when I use either of two different chargers and also just when wusing a standard cigarette lighter too?

tech 02-09-2008 12:39 PM

Did the lighter come with the car?
Volvo is very picky about the chargers like I said I see atleast 1 to 2 a week that a charger will blow the fuse but I replace the fuse and test with other things abd everything works fine.

Capo Cam 02-09-2008 02:13 PM

ORIGINAL: tech

Did the lighter come with the car?
Volvo is very picky about the chargers like I said I see atleast 1 to 2 a week that a charger will blow the fuse but I replace the fuse and test with other things abd everything works fine.
No sir it did not. The previous owner was a non-smoker. So possibly that is the cause?

tech 02-09-2008 05:34 PM

It might be I think the Volvo ones are pretty unique.

Worthitall 02-18-2008 12:48 PM

[align=left]I just bought an '05 S60. Neither charger was working, so I asked the service department about it. I was told that the Volvo 12V chargers are a "European size" that doesn't work reliably with American-size chargers. They suggested having the charger plugged in before the car is started to avoid blowing the fuse. That seems really inconvenient to me, because I use the charger for my phone when it's dying. I don't want to have to pull over, turn the car off, jack in the charger, etc. just to continue a call. I am hoping there is some adjustment or adapter for a phone charger that will solve this issue.
[/align]

Capo Cam 02-19-2008 11:15 AM

I have the stock size fuse back in there but now it doesn't work at all? Doesn't blow the fuse or anything?

tech 02-19-2008 06:23 PM

HMMM maybe you have codes in the climate module and it is shutting it off.

The lighter is also powered/ running through the climate module.

Capo Cam 02-20-2008 10:42 PM

Dunno what happened, but now it has been working fine the last day?