Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Cleaning throttle body myself (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/cleaning-throttle-body-myself-2490/)

go2sharks 08-26-2005 09:41 PM

Cleaning throttle body myself

Is there anything to watch out for when cleaning the throttle body?
What kind of cleaning solution should I use? Carborator cleaner or something?
How sensitive is the sensor(s) on the unit? Use a brush or Q-tip?
Any parts I should buy for replacement before taking the unit out?

tech 08-26-2005 10:51 PM

RE: Cleaning throttle body myself

Make sure you buy a new throttle body gasket.It will be a metal gasket.

Also remove the bracket from the starter to the block.This will allow the wiring for the throttle body to come out so you can remove the throttle body all the way.

I use either carb cleaner or brake cleaner.They are both fine to use.If you buy a good quality cleaner you will not need to use a brush or anything like that.

Is your car turbo or non-turbo?

will/bill 08-27-2005 04:17 PM

do not use carb cleaner this will force the chemical pass the seals on the shaft and damageing tha throttle module this damage may not happen right away. cleaner h is the only aproved cleaner. use an acid brush and some non lint rags

tech 08-27-2005 05:27 PM

At the dealers Carb cleaner has been used for years with no problems at all!!!

With the Prices of the cleaner H at about $30.00 to $35.00 for the entire can I don't think many people will buy it.

go2sharks 08-29-2005 01:21 PM

My car is non-turbo.

I'll buy the gasket and carb cleaner. Thx.

tech 08-29-2005 08:40 PM

It will be easy to get to.

PieceKeeper 01-21-2009 09:49 PM

Tech, Specifically what needs to be cleaned on the throttle body? I'm wondering if I can just point and spray carb cleaner at the butterfly valve. I'm not opposed to pulling the ETM off if that's what's needed, just need to know what to focus on.

My '01 S80 decided it didn't want to start after sitting out for a few nights in sub-zero temperatures. I had it towed to a shop where it sat inside overnight and started on first try the next morning. A couple of fault codes were pulled that pointed to the ETM (codes: 91B7 and 130A). For the past two days the idle has been somewhat rough and the exhaust smells rich, but the more i drive it the smoother the idle becomes and the rich smell is going away. So I'm wondering if the failure to start may be connected to dirty ETM.
________
Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

andrei3333 01-21-2009 10:24 PM

software update maybe the cause ?
i dont think a dirty TB will cause this, a dirty and partially clogged fuel filter may cause this in really cold weather, but the problem goes away after you manage to start the car...

whoever does this TB cleaning please take some pictures... proper walkthroughs are so hard to come by for these cars ...