Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Code P0102 2001 S80 question (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/code-p0102-2001-s80-question-83920/)

bronco78 05-19-2015 12:49 PM

Code P0102 2001 S80 question

Hello to the forum , I'm Nathan and I'm a brand new volvo owner by virtue of an S80 I picked up Saturday . Normally I'm a Ford guy and I buy 2 or 3 Ford trucks on craigslist every month or so to fix up and sell or part out . The pickings have been slim of late so I decided to do some scrapping and set my search to hit on cars under $600.

I've had expirience with volvos before so when a 2001 S80 came up at the $500 level came up I called the owner and found he was entertaining offers for the car and the highest so far had been $290 :eek:

I hooked up my trailer and flew to the address and wound up getting the car for $340.

When I got there the car would not start although the owner swore it had run 2 days earlier. We never got it to run there so I winched it up and hauled it away.

While poking around the next day in the underhood fusebox I discovered that the relay to power the ECU was missing and there was a relay in the glowplug spot so I pulled it and put it in the right spot and the car fired up and ran rough. It seems one of the other potential buyers had tried the old relay switcheroo but hadn't followed through in time.

I pulled codes , got a 102 and went to google . Doing a lot of reading here and other places I decided to pull the throttle body and clean it because that was the first thing I could do that would possibly help and yet cost nothing. I didn't want to begin with buying a mass air sensor without trying that first.

The throttlebody or ETM was dirty but cleaning it didn't help but I found a lot of oil in the plastic intake pipe so I removed the airbox and pipe and decided to clean that all out.

I discovered the hot air flap valve was stuck in the hot air position and googling leads me to believe that constant hot air is bad for the MAF so I was thinking of going to find a used one in a junkyard.

Before I do , can I electrically test my own to see if it is bad?

If so can I test a junkyard unit before I bring it home without a functioning electrical system in the donor car?

I can obviously look at the wires themselves and check for busted hot air flap valves if the car still has one.

There are a lot of volvos in 2 different junkyards near me so I'd like to mine that resource if possible.

I like this car , it was a great pickup for me and if I can get it running well I think I'm going to give it to my mom to drive .

A few minor dents from this past winter but interior is great it has brand new tires , with a little work she could drive it for a decade.

The AC even works.:)

mt6127 05-20-2015 03:50 PM

Sometimes the solenoid can get stuck and not be able to push the flap, or it may be the airbox thermostat is not giving the signal to close. Also check the vacuum lines going into the airbox - its possible that may be part of the problem (can't say as I don't have an S80 to refer to...)

I doubt if a yard would charge very much for the airbox with flapper and sensor - that's not a high resale part to them...so it may be worth searching car-part.com for a yard near you that has some S80s for picking. There's nothing to say you can't make your own cold air intake as a temp fix while you shop for new parts by forcing the door to stay in the cold position - the intake preheat is designed to aid winter cold starts.

bronco78 05-21-2015 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by mt6127 (Post 412047)
Sometimes the solenoid can get stuck and not be able to push the flap, or it may be the airbox thermostat is not giving the signal to close. Also check the vacuum lines going into the airbox - its possible that may be part of the problem (can't say as I don't have an S80 to refer to...)

I doubt if a yard would charge very much for the airbox with flapper and sensor - that's not a high resale part to them...so it may be worth searching car-part.com for a yard near you that has some S80s for picking. There's nothing to say you can't make your own cold air intake as a temp fix while you shop for new parts by forcing the door to stay in the cold position - the intake preheat is designed to aid winter cold starts.

I found a local junkyard with nearly 50 volvos :D

There are a lot that are missing air box flappers , a lot of them are missing the ETM's and mass air sensors also. One other item I need looks like a popular thing as well , the sunroof motor and switch panel .

They said mass air sensors are $20 so I'm going to take a shot at that I just need to match up the numbers to be sure because some are 5 cylinder cars and I'm not positive that its the same part.

mt6127 05-21-2015 10:15 AM

yep. One trick I've learned is to use some of the web sites to find the OEM part number and interchange models. Car-part.com is a good resource like that (say you want an alternator - it will show a choice of models) Other good sites are tascaparts.com and volvopartswarehouse.com to find the OEM diagram and part numbers. For buying replacement parts I like FCPEURO.COM and EEUROPARTS.COM (both are here in CT so I get my parts next day jejeje) - but there's some other good web sites where you can research by part number and model. You didn't note your engine but a quick look suggests the non turbo S80s shares the MAF with S70 and S60 models of 99 to 01 but the S80 turbo has its own part number for those years.

bronco78 05-21-2015 12:45 PM

The engine is a non turbo six cylinder.

I have to say I find junkyard browsing volvos a little bewildering.

All the series are numbered and I don't have a mental roadmap yet of how they overlap .

I see that many of the volvos have a sticker on the drivers door with the build date but some don't and without the sticker I can't really tell the years apart unless I find an old registration or an owners manual in the car somewhere.

mt6127 05-22-2015 07:56 PM

you can also go by engine codes - there should be a sticker on the firewall or under the hood somewhere which lists the engine code - for example your 2001 NA 6 will be either a B6294S or B6294S2. So if you see the 94S its either a 2000 or 2001, if you see B6294S2, its a 2001-2006. If you see B6304S3 its a 98-99. Once you can find that sticker then you can tell if that car model is on the interchange list for your par.

spunkymonky 05-27-2015 11:07 AM

[QUOTE=bronco78;412079]I found a local junkyard with nearly 50 volvos :D

There are a lot that are missing air box flappers , a lot of them are missing the ETM's and mass air sensors also. One other item I need looks like a popular thing as well , the sunroof motor and switch panel .

You sure you need a sunroof motor and switch panel? Has it just been disabled? Have you tried locking and unlocking the car with the key 3 times to re enable it?

bronco78 05-28-2015 10:55 AM

[QUOTE=spunkymonky;412475]

Originally Posted by bronco78 (Post 412079)
I found a local junkyard with nearly 50 volvos :D

You sure you need a sunroof motor and switch panel? Has it just been disabled? Have you tried locking and unlocking the car with the key 3 times to re enable it?

No I didn't realize it could be disabled:eek: . I'm not well steeped in the volvo lore and it's going to take some time to get myself up to speed I can see.

Thanks for the tip I'll try that out :D

Unfortunately beyond my junkyard scout trip I haven't touched the car recently I have had to set the car aside for a week or so while I fix my work truck . Yearly inspection is due and I need to sort out some issues on it to get my sticker.

bronco78 06-01-2015 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by spunkymonky (Post 412475)

This worked for me thanks for the tip , the sunroof works now.

I found what I thought was a decent parts car for $250 on craigslist and bought it. It starts and runs okay but had no brakes . It's a 2000 V70 , I was excited because I plugged my scanner in and no MAF sensor codes and it looked the same so I thought i could take the MAF and some other small items but when I went to pull the MAF off I noticed the air hose went behind the engine . I asked the guy on the phone if it was a turbo and he said no so I didn't think to check when I picked it up . I'm guessing from mt6127's post about MAF interchangeability that the turbo MAF won't work.

I guess I'll have to harvest one from the junkyard after all:cool:

bronco78 06-02-2015 10:38 AM

$20 mass air sensor from a 2000 at the junkyard fixed that problem.

now I have a misfire in cylinder 2 to sort out and a clunk from the drivers side front area :)