Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Collision sensors (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/collision-sensors-1973/)

vadim6519 07-07-2005 02:53 AM

Collision sensors

I own S80 2000. It had a little eccident. I had to replace air bags and SRS module. After that there is still SRS warning light. I heard that collision sensors might have to be raplced. I checked them. Both of them (front right and left) have 80 kOhm resistance in both directions. Does anybody know whether or not are they deffective?
Thanks

tech 07-07-2005 10:33 PM

RE: Collision sensors

Did you replace the seatbelts?

vadim6519 07-08-2005 03:08 AM

No, seat belts seem to be OK.

tech 07-08-2005 10:10 PM

99.9% of the time when the air bags blow the seat belts blow as well.
When the air bags blow it blows the seatbelts and lock then to prevent whiplash.

Have you had the codes pulled?
If you do I will bet it will be the seatbelts.

vadim6519 07-11-2005 01:48 AM

Thanks a lot. Left seatbelt was really exploded, but in use it looked normal. I'm going to replace it and will see what happend then.

tech 07-11-2005 03:03 AM

Cool that you found it keep me posted on the progress.

vadim6519 10-18-2005 01:40 AM

Just recently I replaced all seat belts (except front passenger's one, since it was good). The airbag indicator is still on. I wonder may collision sensors be the reason? I did not changed them. Are they responsible for proper operation of correspondent air bags or seatbelts? Will be very thankful for any ideas.

tech 10-18-2005 08:39 PM

If you didn't clear the code after replacing the parts thats why the light is still on.

vadim6519 10-18-2005 10:04 PM

I was advised to disconnect battery, to short plus and minus leads for 24 hours. So I did it. It didn't help. After that I went to familiar dealer (not Volvo). He used a simple portable devise to reset, as he said, error codes. And again no difference. Is there anything I missed?

tech 10-19-2005 12:33 AM

But if the light was still on it will show a code for something. You need to find out for what.

Why did you replace all the seatbelts?

Yes they are tied to the SRS system.

Also the SRS module has its own backup power source. So disconnecting the battery that won't help to clear the codes.

vadim6519 10-19-2005 01:30 AM

Thanks for your prompt reply. The seat belts were blown. And concerning SRS module, I replaced it with used one. What is the best way to reset it? May be it's better to address to Volvo dealer and retrieve error code first? But before I do it, which way can I find out that collision sensors are o'key? Other words are they related mainly to side air bags or seat belts operation? Thanks

tech 10-19-2005 01:48 AM

The SRS crash sensor is a module.It controls all SRS functions including the seatbelts.

Check with the dealer I forget but I think it may have to be downloaded with software as well.

But yes you need to have the codes pulled and see what they are before going any further.

vadim6519 10-19-2005 11:23 PM

Yes, I'm going to visit the nearest Volvo dealer. You mentioned SRS crash sensor. But I asked you about four side sensors located in door pillars. I heard from some people they also should be replaced. Could you tell me about their functions? I think they are good if side and roof air bags did not blow up.

tech 10-20-2005 12:41 AM

The seatbelts will go off anytime any of the air bags go off.

When the air bag goes off the seatbelt goes off as well and lock and pulls the seatbelt tight.

vadim6519 12-10-2005 07:48 PM

Recently I brought my car to the nearest Volvo dealer. A contact reel was the problem. I have another little problem. When I replaced SRS module I pulled out ground wire that went to parking brake handle. And now I don't see where it should be placed in order parking light on dash board turn on. Could you draw draft explaining where the wire has to be connected? Thanks

tech 12-11-2005 11:39 AM

I will have to try to locate it myself then draw a picture for you.

vadim6519 12-11-2005 03:25 PM

Thanks a lot.