Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Detailing & Maintenance Question (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/detailing-maintenance-question-14456/)

starladog@yahoo.com 10-18-2007 02:23 PM

Detailing & Maintenance Question

I am a new owner of a 2000 S80 T6 which I love despite the bad reviews I have heard on it. I have a couple of questions on the care of my car. I have read in the forum about "Forever Black" which I think I can use on my bumpers and along my door trim. Am I right about that? I don't want to put anything on the car which will mess it up but my bumpers and door trim are quite faded and I would like to bring back the black color to them. Also, I have purchased Pinnacle leather cleaner & conditioner after some research and wondered if anyone had tried that. I bought the leather cleaner & conditioner combined as I had already bought Master cleaner and seperate conditioner. Also, any recommendations on type of oil to use. The lady I purchased from said she always had it changed at a Volvo dealer or independent repair shop, but she wasn't sure what type of oil. She said she thought it was Valvoline. Should I just stick with that or any other suggestions. Also, for a bit of info. I had only had my car appx. 1 month when my teenage son hit a deer with it. Well 30-days and $4000.00 later I have my car back. Thank goodness I had insurance. It didn't appear to be that much damage, but they had a really hard time getting parts.
Just got it back yesterday and it sure is good to be back in it instead of the 2007 Ford Taurus rental I had.

S70driver 10-18-2007 02:26 PM

RE: Detailing & Maintenance Question

1. Forever Black can be used on your bumpers and trim.

2. That leather cleaner/conditioner should be fine. I use Mequiars I believe on mine and like it.

3. I would start using full synthetic. I like Mobil 1.

starladog@yahoo.com 10-18-2007 03:53 PM

Thanks for the info. I am going to detail it this weekend and have the oil changed next week.

starladog@yahoo.com 10-18-2007 03:57 PM

One more question. Do you have any recommendations for the wheels. They have a lot of brake dust and I would like to restore some of the shine to them.

1999S80T6 10-18-2007 08:41 PM

ORIGINAL: S70driver

1. Forever Black can be used on your bumpers and trim.

2. That leather cleaner/conditioner should be fine. I use Mequiars I believe on mine and like it.

3. I would start using full synthetic. I like Mobil 1.

I usedMother's Back-to-Black for my trim and it worked fine. Butthe blackness decreased a little bit aftersoaking in rain.Which one is better - ForeverBlack or Mother's Back-to-Black? Anything else better than these two?

Thanks guys.

starladog@yahoo.com 10-19-2007 12:42 PM

I can't say which is better since I have used neither, but somewhere on this forum there is a discussion about this and they seemed to favor Forever Black which is why I am going to try that. I will let you know how it turns out. I can't find the topic when I look through the forum now so I can't tell you where it is. Sorry.

1999S80T6 10-19-2007 03:43 PM

ORIGINAL: starladog@yahoo.com

I can't say which is better since I have used neither, but somewhere on this forum there is a discussion about this and they seemed to favor Forever Black which is why I am going to try that. I will let you know how it turns out. I can't find the topic when I look through the forum now so I can't tell you where it is. Sorry.
Sure, let us know your opinion after you try it.

Thanks.

starladog@yahoo.com 11-13-2007 06:39 PM

I have finally used the Forever Black and it worked great. Car looks brand new again. So far it has lasted through several washes and hasn't faded any.

1999S80T6 11-13-2007 08:38 PM

Mother's Back-to-Black is fading pretty good after 3-4 washes using car soap/foam and brush. I will switch to Forever Black and post the results in a couple of weeks.

As for the leather cleaner, Itested both Meguires Cleaner&Conditioner and Lexol Cleaner. I like Meg's better, I could visually see the dirt on the rag, but not when I used Lexol.

Thanks.

starladog@yahoo.com 11-14-2007 09:57 AM

I purchased the Meguires Cleaner & Conditioner Wipes to keep in my car and really like them. I also like the Pinnacle Cleaner & Conditioner. It seems to work really well and is so much easier than using a seperate cleaner and conditioner. I will still do the seperate cleaner and conditioner at least every 6 months, but the Pinnacle is great. The Forever Black is really great and no fading so far, I even bought the tire gel for my tires. I use the Meguiers Gold car wash and a microfiber mitt when washing and wash weekly. I did use 2 coats of Forever Black on my trim.

nicolaselias 01-26-2008 05:05 AM

The week after I got my used S80 I went out on a mission to get detailing and cleaning supplies..
After spending literally an hr and a half in napa unable to decide what to go with I eventually used price/what I had heard as my deciders.. I chose for the seats the meguiars gold class leather conditioner..
for the black I went tith meguiars mirrir glaze vinyl and rubber.. however im not sure if this is really the best bet as it seems to have faded within a month or 2 and im worried about stripping of the rubber. I may just be paranoid though..
For the washing i went with meguairs gold class shampoo and a load of microfiber cloths and mits...
however my best buy was the wax, 3m Perfect-it SHOW CAR paste wax... ultra high gloss finish.. I did it by hand, a tedious process but the end result made it all wortwhile..
I also keep a small pack of armor-all seat wipes in the trunk incase something spills on the seat and I need to get it off quickly.
I also bought some 3m Mag and aluminium polish, however I think i took the wrong one as its for non coated wheels, and I guess the volvos are coated... so I just have this sitting here for no reason. Any word on this?
Thanks