Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Emission service required? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/emission-service-required-26428/)

Skywatcher 01-11-2009 04:40 PM

Emission service required?

Hey,

I took my 1999 S80 2.9 non turbo for a skiing trip to french (im a dutchy myself).5 persons, big skibox and no cm of space left in the trunk. It was a(total)2300km trip and the car behaved like a charm, we did 160km/h the whole way too french, didnt lose speed on the hills at all except offcourse on the final road to the skiing resort with all its tight turns where we did 30km/h due to busses. It really had to work going up the hill there and the car feels even fitter than it did before. The skiing resort (val thorens) is car free, you have to park your car in special parking garages. So I parked my car in the garage and didnt touch it for a week. Some details about the parkinggarage, the in and exit are the lowest parts of the garage and the air circulation is very bad, which means there is alot of smog in there. After a week of much skiing pleasure I started the car and it didnt run very well (true it had been very cold), the lambasont light came on and it gave a message: emission service required. Now i took the car out of the garage, parked it on some clean white snow and let it idle for a bit (sometimes reving the engine up abit). The white snow became black under the exhaust and the car started running smoothly again. Drove it on some morefreshwhite snowand it stayedwhite. Backhome at about 140km/h, enjoying every minute of it. But thelambasont light and the emission service required stayed on. What might be the problem? I personally think alot of smog came in the exhaust system which screwed the sensor (remember we have alot of diesels here with there exhaust fumes) and everything is alright now except the system error. Does anybody else have an idea?

Thanks in advance!

andrei3333 01-11-2009 04:45 PM

RE: Emission service required?

dude youre from europe ? niiice the driving must be amazing, we dont have those kind sof roads here in cananda (where i am now)

umm it could be anything, maybe an o2 sensor, take it to a shop and have the car scanned, no point in guessng, it is impossible to tell for sure

now tell me more, whats the speed limit there on the highways ?

Skywatcher 01-11-2009 04:56 PM

haha the speedlimit is 130, but 160 on the speedometer is about 148 km/h on gps. It was a lovely and beautyfull drive. We left at 12 in the evening, let my brother drive the first 5 hours and we arrived around 10.30. These trips are why volvo's are made!I stepped out of the car feeling quite alright even after 5.5 hours of driving and sitting in the car a total of 10.5 hours. Ill try to post a vid sometime this week!

PS, the car has done 271.000km now, its amazing

andrei3333 01-11-2009 07:30 PM

niice, this past November, in my last car (nissan maxima 1997 with 240KM on her) i drove with my fiance from toronto canada, to columbus, ohio, Usa, we did not switch i drove all the 7.5-8 hours, ONE tank of gas, the light was coming on when i was just getting there, but the car handled beautifully, i coult not stand up out of the car once there because we did nto even make one stop and my back would not bend back into a straight position - thats one thing i gotta admit, the volvo has AMAZINGLY comfortable front seats. it was a boring drive - the eastern united states is nothing but flat land and trees. on the way back we hit a HUUUGE snow storn just around pittsburgh, pennsylvania, which added about 2 hours to the trip, i saw two monster accidents where two 18 wheeler trucks had overturned - luckily we were able to just squeeze by on the right side.

in canada the limit is 100 Km/h (sucks) and in the states its the equivalent in Mph - european roads must be made better