Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Engine/Transmission Noise During Start-up (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/engine-transmission-noise-during-start-up-18599/)

brainymas 03-22-2008 10:26 PM

Engine/Transmission Noise During Start-up

Dear Forumers,

I have a2001 year 2.9L S80 car. Recently when I tried to start the car, the car jerked forward when I cranked the engine even though the transmission was positioned at 'P'. When the engine started to run, the car remained stationery as it should. However I could hear loud 'metal abrassion'sound from the engine compartment. I stopped my engine quickly to avoid further damage. What would be the possible cause of this problem? A technician informed me that this could be due to the failure of lub oil getting to the top cylinder. I don't understand how this could cause the car to jerk forward when I crank the engine. If so, should I drive the car to the workshop. Thank you for your help and advise.

tech 03-22-2008 10:52 PM

RE: Engine/Transmission Noise During Start-up

Sounds funny.
Does it make the noise now if you start it?

brainymas 03-23-2008 07:56 PM

Dear Tech,

I started the car again after receiving your reply. The car did not jerk forward but I am getting a fairly loud but inconsistent/irregular sound of something striking inside the engine compartment. The 'metal screeching sound is softer now. Kindly assist.

Thanks

tech 03-23-2008 08:43 PM

With it running try to see if it is coming from the passeger side of the car.
If so have the timing belt and pulleys inspected ASAP.

brainymas 03-24-2008 06:19 AM

Dear Tech,

Thank you for your prompt reply. My car was towed to the workshop for inspection today because no one wanted to risk further damage without knowing where the sound came from. It was found that the noise came from the transmission gear box. The technician found that the level of gear oil in the gear box was very low. He had to top up 2 litre of gear oil. He was unable to find any oil stains around the gear box and neither could he find any oil in the coolant.As a resultthe gear boxmay bedamaged andmay require a new replacement or overhaul. The noise disappeared after the oil top up but we had problem in engaging the reverse gear. We had to depress the accelerator slowly until it engaged (quite suddenly). After that we had no problem driving forward or reverse and no more noise. We checked the engine and transmission diagnostic and could not see any error code. How do I know that the gear box is damaged for sure or the difficulty in engaging the reverse gear (only one incident) is just an unusual hiccup? Looking forward to your kind advise.

tech 03-24-2008 09:32 PM

I would just drive it and see what happens it might have just been a hicup.
If it shifts ok and drives fine you should be ok for a while.