Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Error Code P1719 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/error-code-p1719-97942/)

csomberg 09-29-2018 12:48 PM

Error Code P1719

2009 S80 3.2

I am trying to help my senior neighbor with her car. The car cranks over with no issue but does not start. We replaced an old battery, just because ... and the car still will not start. Cranks fine.

Her friend said he saw a P1719 error code and thinks it is a relay/sensor that is out causing the car to not start.

Earlier, the car started and she put it in reverse. She got about 5 feet out and the car stopped and from that point would not start again.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Just trying to save her a few dollars ...

Thanks!

Craig

Kjack3410 03-16-2020 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by csomberg (Post 466078)
2009 S80 3.2

I am trying to help my senior neighbor with her car. The car cranks over with no issue but does not start. We replaced an old battery, just because ... and the car still will not start. Cranks fine.

Her friend said he saw a P1719 error code and thinks it is a relay/sensor that is out causing the car to not start.

Earlier, the car started and she put it in reverse. She got about 5 feet out and the car stopped and from that point would not start again.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Just trying to save her a few dollars ...

Thanks!

Craig

Did your neighbor ever find out what was the problem? I am facing the same issue now with the same vehicle as your friend.

mt6127 03-17-2020 11:23 AM

what model/year? what codes are being shown? The P1719 is not a standard Volvo code so you may need to have a dealer do the scan with their VIDA tool. What I'd do is rent a high quality OBD2 scanner (ie Autozone) read the codes, write them down, then clear. Try to start the car and see what if any codes reset. Some people also suggest disconnecting the battery, waiting for 30+ minutes then reconnect but note that won't clear any codes.

Generally speaking that OBD code range is for transmission codes and if you have a no-start condition, it may be the shifter. Try doing a shifter row (Park to Lo to Park 10-20X times fast) to see if you can clean the PNP sensor contacts. It also may be caused by a communications issue between the ECU and TCU - so that may warrant cleaning the contacts on the TCU.

Kjack3410 03-17-2020 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by mt6127 (Post 484147)
what model/year? what codes are being shown? The P1719 is not a standard Volvo code so you may need to have a dealer do the scan with their VIDA tool. What I'd do is rent a high quality OBD2 scanner (ie Autozone) read the codes, write them down, then clear. Try to start the car and see what if any codes reset. Some people also suggest disconnecting the battery, waiting for 30+ minutes then reconnect but note that won't clear any codes.

Generally speaking that OBD code range is for transmission codes and if you have a no-start condition, it may be the shifter. Try doing a shifter row (Park to Lo to Park 10-20X times fast) to see if you can clean the PNP sensor contacts. It also may be caused by a communications issue between the ECU and TCU - so that may warrant cleaning the contacts on the TCU.

well what started the drama with my 07' S80 3.2 was the idler pulley seized which caused a reduced engine performance issue and the Volvo shut off on the highway. Got the car towed home and when scanning the codes I got P2016 and P1719 which I don't understand how they relate to the idler pulley seizing. Any way, got the idler pulley and serpentine belt replaced (even though it didn't break) and the car starts but runs rough and is still showing the same 2 codes with the reduced engine performance warning. Cleared the codes but they still come back with the rough idle. Wondering if I need to change the throttle body because of the P2016 code but not sure why as the car was driving great before the idler pulley seized. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

​​

mt6127 03-17-2020 01:02 PM

Sounds like you need to get a dealer diagnostic scan as the generic definitions don't appear to apply to a Volvo. You may want to check some basics like fuses and relays if you haven't done so already.

Kjack3410 03-17-2020 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by mt6127 (Post 484153)
Sounds like you need to get a dealer diagnostic scan as the generic definitions don't appear to apply to a Volvo. You may want to check some basics like fuses and relays if you haven't done so already.

I will definitely look into the fuses and relays. Will also get it scanned by someone with proper volvo diagnostic software. Thanks for the info and stay safe with all this Coronavirus madness taking place.

mt6127 03-17-2020 06:37 PM

thanks. I was just thinking I should have kept one of my project cars. Laying under a car is a great way to practice social distancing.

Kjack3410 03-20-2020 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by mt6127 (Post 484173)
thanks. I was just thinking I should have kept one of my project cars. Laying under a car is a great way to practice social distancing.

Hey... I just wanted to thank you for your suggestion about checking the fuses because that was the problem. It was a 10 amp fuse for the ECU that was blown. I changed the fuse, started the car and for the first time in over a month (the time the s80 has been parked) the engine ran smooth and the reduced engine performance light went away. Now the only issue is the bird crap that has accumulated all over it since it's been parked. Unfortunately, NY has issued a shelter in place order so can't take it to get washed. Any way, I just wanna say thanks again for your helpful insight.