Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   ETM, TB or something else? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/etm-tb-something-else-25682/)

enjoyer 12-17-2008 03:12 PM

ETM, TB or something else?

First of all, i want to say hy. I'm new here. I'll introduce myself and my 99 S80 T6 in the new members area a bit later. I've done a lot of searching here regardind ETM and TB issues, but i'm not completly convinced that they are the same as the ones that i'm having rigth now. O.k. I'll start from the begining. Sometimes the car doesn't want to start. It happens very rarelly, but if it happens, the starter spins normal but it looks like there's no ignition. Just as i release the ignition key, bingo, it starts right up. That's one of the problems. It's very random and occurs very rarelly. So it doesn't bother me that much. The thing that bothers me the most is something else. When the engine is warm, on idle, i can hear that the revs are not even. I hear fluctuation. Also i can feel that through the steering wheel and the pedals. But the tacho stays still. No idle fluctuation. Also, when i'm driving, if i have to stop faster or to drop the revs very quickly, the revs drop down to somewhere around 400 rpm. For just a second and then go back to normal. The car shuters like it wants to stal. For that second the dash lights also go dull. Sometimes the car jerks a bit. Power delivery is normal. No hesitation when i floor the pedal. No codes or check engine lights. So, does these simptoms relate to TB or ETM? Or something else? Is it worth trying to clean them up? Thanks in advance for your answers.

TIPSP 12-17-2008 04:55 PM

RE: ETM, TB or something else?

I would start by cleaning the TB.
Also, when was the last tune up?

tech 12-17-2008 05:12 PM

I would start wiht cleaning it up and see from there.

enjoyer 12-18-2008 12:01 AM

O.k. I'll try to clean ir first. Only one question. Is TB under the intake manifold? Do i have to disconect cooling hoses? I've never done TB before.

tech 12-18-2008 07:53 AM

It is under the center of the intake manifold. You will need to remove the large plastic pipe going to it.

enjoyer 12-18-2008 08:17 AM

Yeah, i just pulled my car into my service. We found the TB just as you said, under the manifold. There's no way to get to it from under the car. I don't know fow to get to it from above also. There's too little space between radiator housing ant manifold. Do i have to remove the manifold also? Volvo dealership says that they have to remove the radiator and get it from under the car. They charge 400lt(about 160 USD) for it. That's not a lot. Maybe i shoud get my car there.

tech 12-18-2008 08:31 AM

It is a pain but nothing needs to be removed to get in there to remove the throttle body. The clamp on the hard pipe is hard to get to but once the clamp is loose and everything unplugged it should come right out.

enjoyer 12-18-2008 08:52 AM

O.k. I'll try it over the weekend. Thank's

enjoyer 12-19-2008 03:12 PM

So, tomorow i'll be trying to clean the TB. I have a few questions for tech. Since the TB is under the intake manifold, i'll be working blind. I wont be able to see all the bolts holding it in place or the wires(if there are any). So, can you give me a quick DIY? How many bolts? Where are they located? Are there any other precautions, so i don't damage the whole thing?

tech 12-19-2008 04:09 PM

There is 4 bolts. They are towards the middle like just to outside of the lip where you take the hard pipe off of.
There is a wire that runs down towards the starter. If it has never been removed you will need to remove the starter bracket to the block to be able to unplug and remove the harness.

enjoyer 12-20-2008 08:01 AM

No luck with the whole deal. Still couldn't figure out a way to get it of. I'm not very good at mechanical stuff.

tech 12-20-2008 08:26 AM

Yes it is a pain. What might make it a little easier is to remove the cooling fan which is 2 screws and moving some wires.

diehardgator1 12-20-2008 12:18 PM

My 17 year old Granddaughter just got a 2003 Honda Civic Ex the lens are all fogged up what can I replace them with in the way of better lights and lens?

enjoyer 12-21-2008 02:50 AM

To hell with it. I'll try to get one of my mechanics on the whole dreal. If not, i'll get her to the dealership.

enjoyer 01-04-2009 08:24 AM

So, i haven't cleaned the TB still, but..... Today, me and a few of my friends went to play a bit in the snow and ice. Drifting with the handbrake and so on. After that, the revs don't drop like they used to. Ewerything seems normal. The problem fixed itself? Somehow i doubt it.....

tech 01-04-2009 01:40 PM

I doubt it.