Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   fan running, engine isn't, battery dead (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/fan-running-engine-isnt-battery-dead-20781/)

retailguy 06-14-2008 10:30 PM

fan running, engine isn't, battery dead

2000 S80, T6, shut off car, removed key, left vehicle. returned to vehicle found AC/Heater fan running. Car wouldn't start. Had to jump start. I has done this before, but has been a long time.

Is this a common problem?

NOTE - It is NOT the engine fan, but the AC/Heater fan inside vehicle... blows warm air of course.

bigern45 06-15-2008 12:03 AM

RE: fan running, engine isn't, battery dead

lol... i noticed mine does the same thing sometimes.. i am just in the habit of turning everything off when i get out of the car... hrm. a relay must be staying on or a ground on the switch side stays grounded..not sure..these volvos and their quirks....

tech 06-15-2008 07:52 AM

The inside fan is supposed to come on after the car is shut off if the A/C was on. It dries the evaperator so it won't get mold on it. Maybe battery bad and thats why it killed the battery.

retailguy 06-15-2008 09:08 AM

ORIGINAL: tech

The inside fan is supposed to come on after the car is shut off if the A/C was on. It dries the evaperator so it won't get mold on it. Maybe battery bad and thats why it killed the battery.
Sorry, forgot to mention that battery is new. I replaced it last summer. I suspect the fan ran for 4 hours yesterday. Can't prove that because I wasn't at the car, but it was runnin' when I got back to it after 4 hours had passed.

Can I turn this feature off?

tech 06-15-2008 09:46 AM

The Dealer can disable the feature it will cost $30.00 for the software and .5 to 1.0 labor.

retailguy 06-20-2008 04:37 PM

OK, latest saga with this ongoing problem.

Battery has drained every two days since last weekend. (Battery was replaced last summer) No battery light on the dash. Had no check engine light until the past two days.

Hooked my little cheapy code reader to it last weekend (prior to check engine light). Only two codes, neither of which appear related to my problem. They were P0102, and P1283.

When the check engine light came on (On Wednesday), I ran the codes again. Same two, plus one more P0455.

So, I made an appointment with the dealer, to get the software turned off, they "ran out of time" diagnosing today (no bill yet), but we've made another appointment for Tuesday of next week. What they've "discovered" so far is that there is a drain on the battery, and they think it'll take an hour or hour and half to find the problem, they are pretty sure that the airbag light is related to the low battery charge, and they're pretty sure that the MAF is fine (it's new, less than 3 months old).

The only electrical things ever done to the car is an aftermarket Alpine stereo was installed, and it's been in for about 10 months. About a month and a half they put some kind of "resistor" in it, to slowly power up the factory amp, we had been getting an electrical "pop" from the speakers when the radio was on and the car was started. That's the only thing we've ever done to the electrical system on the car.

Does this course of action sound reasonable? Is an hour & half diagnosis time at $115/hour sound reasonable? I'm not a big fan, or user of the dealership, but when you need software, there are no other options...

Anyone got any theories or experience with this type of problem? Perhaps at this point, it MAY NOT be the cooling fan? But something else. If not it, then what? All help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Retailguy

bigern45 06-21-2008 01:14 AM

RE: fan running, engine isn't, batter

i dont see how an airbag light could lead to your battery drain... and a battery drain should be easy to fix or find. just need a fluke and access to all of the fuses.. hour and a half is much time.. you should be able to watch the millivolts and see which fuse when pulled drops the most voltage..then find a wiring diagram to that circuit and start unhooking items to batt. positive on that fuse or circuit.. and theres your problem... usually...lol

retailguy 06-26-2008 09:55 AM

Ok, after replacing a leaking battery, we have a diagnosis. The anti theft siren is drawing the battery. Can this be disconnected? It's over $500 to fix, and we don't need it. Quite honestly, it would be a blessing if someont stole it. If they had any brains, they would just bring it back, though...

It is literally self destructing with less than 80k on it...

Additionally, dealer wants to change plugs ($290), and change the fuel filter ($177).... Can I do this myself? Worried about the plugs on the backside. Also the turbo has leaking seals... Don't remember how much. Is this difficult?

<sigh>

tech 06-26-2008 07:18 PM

Sorry siren is tied into the network of the computers in the car. cannot be removed.

Plugs not to bad. Fuel filter pretty easy as well.
Turbo return line o-ring?

retailguy 06-26-2008 11:00 PM

yes, that's it the o-ring. I thought he said two, could there be one for each turbo? (is that a d'oh statement?)

tech 06-26-2008 11:07 PM

The S80 is twin turbo and yes has 2 of them.
They are a pita to replace.