Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Fitting S80 T6 - 2004 headlights/rearlights to pre facelift 2000 T6 - how? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/fitting-s80-t6-2004-headlights-rearlights-pre-facelift-2000-t6-how-70178/)

Nilfisk2000 04-07-2013 04:08 PM

Fitting S80 T6 - 2004 headlights/rearlights to pre facelift 2000 T6 - how?

Hello Volvo owners! - Im new at this site, and english is not my native language , so there might be a few mispelled words :)

I have a 2000 S80 T6 ( love it! ) and i have found some cheap 2004 xenon headlights ( the one with the dark background) and the LED-rearlights, But... Does i fit?:confused:

My T6 do not have oem xenon. And wonīt the LEDīs in the rearlight interfere with the can-bus system and show up in the dashboard ?

Thank you :)

Theis Denmark

Nilfisk2000 04-10-2013 03:14 PM

Anyone?:confused:

akabond 04-10-2013 11:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hmm well i think the HID should work and fit BUT the rear LEDs will not. Because the holes where the lights on will not match with the LEDs ones. You could give it a try but i highly doubt it will work.
This is the back of LED tail lights. Yours have different holes where each bulbs goes in which is different that LEDs.

The only way this would work is to change the entire tail lamp. If that is what you are asking then i think ya replacing the entire tail lamp with the LED ones should work.

i was thinking that maybe you are referring just the changing the middle piece

Nilfisk2000 04-11-2013 01:24 PM

akabond : Thank you for the answer! I found a cheap rearlight set ( <120 dollars or so ) . After that i found out, they SHOULD fit directly in the "slot", but the old pre-facelift rearlight uses to small sockets/pins, and the ned led one, only use one big socket/pin, ( as seen on your pic) so the old ones have to be cut and welded on the new adapter/socket. That should work, but dont know if the ledīs gonna disturd the can-bus or not.

As for the HID headlights, sounds good, if they gonna fit within the original slot and the adaptors, only problem i see is, that about the "automated leveling system" the HIDīs use? Mine comes with the manuel one to be controlled from inside the the car.

akabond 04-11-2013 09:28 PM

ya i would love to see the rear taillights swap and i too wonder if any error would show up. i will have to say no. lets see if that is true :)

automated level eh? this feature is not available in North America, but after seeing you are from Copenhagen i was like thats why you have manual leveling. Well if you have leveling then with HID or not, it should not be affected. Just have to be careful while installing. i remember when i was in europe long time back and i had a Saab with manual leveling. i really liked the feature. i wished it was also standard in US.

Also dont forget to post pics here:
https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...duction-63710/

Nilfisk2000 04-14-2013 05:57 AM

http://s1.postimg.org/4stxvczhb/8966...59214875_o.jpg

They fit PERFECT! only problem is how to assembly the ****. The old rearlight uses 2 sockets, the new only 1 big, so i had to solder the old wires with the new, and some of the colours arenīt the same, but i figured it out ( I am an Electrician ) :)

But.. everytime i hit the brake the dashboard says "check brakelight" so i have to buy some resistors and put in, but how big?

In Denmark, to use HID/Xenon, they need to have: Washer/wiper, automated leveling, and the headlight glass has to be approved to HID. And only 4300K is legal.

akabond 04-14-2013 08:22 AM

wow that looks good and fits perfectly. As per the resistor not sure which one you need. I guess you will have to find out mathematically :). like i think its in parallel so V=IR. voltage you know is 12V find the current i guess by a instrument and so you will find the R. No i am not engineering but i did take physics in undergrade longgggggg time back so i remember some basic stuff.
Would this be best way to find R??

Not sure why the rules for HID. it doesnt make sense. There are OEM HIDs here in USA and they are not auto leveling and the glass is same as halogen bulbs and both HID and halogen both have headlight wipers..so not sure who told you that.

miealder 04-14-2013 09:16 AM

To do this correctly you should measure the current drawn by the LEDs and subtract that value from the 1,521A that a 21W stop light will draw when powered from 13,8V (Alternator nominal value).

Lets assume for now that your LED Brake light pulls 0,3A you need to calculate the resistor to draw 1,521 - 0,3 = 1,221A

R = V / I so 13,8 / 1,221 = 11.3 OHMS but resistors are only supplied in preferred values so get the one as close to 11 Ohms as you can find, you will need to do this for both sides.

We haven't finished with the maths lesson yet though as you also need to work out the power rating of the new resistor W = I x V so 1,221 x 13,8 = 16,8Watts, again resistors are supplied in different values for power for these I would go up in size to a 25W resistor as it won't affect the resistance value just the thermal loading, so putting a higher Wattage resistor in circuit than is really needed usually means it runs cooler and lasts longer.

As I said earlier you really need to measure the value your rear LED Stop lights are pulling and re-calculate the resistance and wattage figures to get the value as close as possible to that required for your car - Mike

Nilfisk2000 04-14-2013 09:25 AM

Gonna talk my local dealer, thew have some I can try, but mine logic, says the same as you, find R. But maybe i need the R for the old rearlight, and then find the new R, and.. Rī= Rold-Rnew) - Just a thought :)

And in the past 5-8 years, there have been a LOT of confusion in Denmark, regarding HIDīs some Policemen, gives you a fine no mather what, and others donīt. The info i have is from all the "Lawmen" i have spoken to, and all the info on the internet; people in Denmark have been discussing. In fact. My old 850R with aftermarket xenon, and HID approved aftermarket headlights, got be a big fine some years back :(

Nilfisk2000 04-14-2013 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by miealder (Post 349534)
To do this correctly you should measure the current drawn by the LEDs and subtract that value from the 1,521A that a 21W stop light will draw when powered from 13,8V (Alternator nominal value).

Lets assume for now that your LED Brake light pulls 0,3A you need to calculate the resistor to draw 1,521 - 0,3 = 1,221A

R = V / I so 13,8 / 1,221 = 11.3 OHMS but resistors are only supplied in preferred values so get the one as close to 11 Ohms as you can find, you will need to do this for both sides.

We haven't finished with the maths lesson yet though as you also need to work out the power rating of the new resistor W = I x V so 1,221 x 13,8 = 16,8Watts, again resistors are supplied in different values for power for these I would go up in size to a 25W resistor as it won't affect the resistance value just the thermal loading, so putting a higher Wattage resistor in circuit than is really needed usually means it runs cooler and lasts longer.

As I said earlier you really need to measure the value your rear LED Stop lights are pulling and re-calculate the resistance and wattage figures to get the value as close as possible to that required for your car - Mike

THANK YOU!:) Iīm gonna give it a try, and write back with the results.