Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   fly wheel replacement 2000 s80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/fly-wheel-replacement-2000-s80-22314/)

bcon415 08-21-2008 11:11 AM

fly wheel replacement 2000 s80

Need some infomation. Can the fly wheel be replaced w/o taking the transmission completely out? Engine is good, transmission is good, but fly wheel is pretty worn down. New starter will turn it over until it hits the worst area, then I have to manually move a fanbelt to move the crank to find better teeth. Is it possible to just lower the cradle and slide the transmission back enough to replace the fly wheel? Also, I assume that this is a rare problem as I could not find any other posts concerning this, so what could have caused this problem? The starter has a dowel, and it fits very tightly. I would like to avoid having to dothe fly wheel replacementagain next year.
Thanks.
Bcon415

bigern45 08-21-2008 05:49 PM

RE: fly wheel replacement 2000 s80

just do it right and take it out. that seems too complicated. you may be able to get it out but you want to make sure it is properly reinstalled and fastened to proper torque specs. and you could have a bad starter cause it if it doesnt engage all the way or engages half assed then you could get some grinding. or you could have a bad ground or batt positive that partially closes the circuit and then when amps go up prematurely opens or engages improperly... i dont think itll be a once a year fix if you do it right and it starts properly. if you hear something funny after all is said and done then you have other issues youll want to address...

tech 08-21-2008 09:27 PM

I would do it right as well this way you can replace the rear main seal as well.

bcon415 08-22-2008 07:05 AM

Thanks for the replies. I will bite the bullet and pull the cradle w/ tran&engine. I was just hoping for a quick fix.

tech, thanks for the reminder for the rear main.

tech 08-22-2008 08:09 AM

It you have access to make tools then make a cradle that will hold the engine from the top. Then drop the subframe and tilt the motor some to slide the tranny out.

SkyWriter 08-22-2008 08:13 AM

i'm in the middle of pulling a tranny in the T6. i don't see anyway you can avoid all of the tough work. you still need to drop the sub frame, separate the bell housing and provide support for the engine from the top, and tranny from the bottom to get enough clearacnce to get at the fly wheel.

FWIW i had the same problem in my old V8 chevy malibu, i had to hand turn the crank past the chipped fly wheel.

cbb11411 06-25-2017 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by bcon415 (Post 114537)
Need some infomation. Can the fly wheel be replaced w/o taking the transmission completely out? Engine is good, transmission is good, but fly wheel is pretty worn down. New starter will turn it over until it hits the worst area, then I have to manually move a fanbelt to move the crank to find better teeth. Is it possible to just lower the cradle and slide the transmission back enough to replace the fly wheel? Also, I assume that this is a rare problem as I could not find any other posts concerning this, so what could have caused this problem? The starter has a dowel, and it fits very tightly. I would like to avoid having to dothe fly wheel replacementagain next year.
Thanks.
Bcon415

Hello
Just removed my starter today and found a flat spot on the flywheel. You mentioned in your post you could manually move flywheel by turning fan belt. Would you please give me a detail on how to do this. Car runs fine but just can't start when hits flat spot.
Thanks so much!