Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Front suspension (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/front-suspension-5096/)

ghostriderT6 03-27-2006 11:21 PM

Front suspension

I think my front suspension in my 2000 s80 may be due for replacement. They do not dampen when going over even slight bumps in the road. if I go over a little bump in the road, it feels like I am driving without suspension...kinda goes "thud" really hard and sounds pretty loud inside the car. I know the rear suspension test involves pushing down on the trunk/bumper and counting oscillations...but does that work for the front suspension check? Also, the front doesn't really have shocks does it...it's more of a strut assembly, right? [sm=smiley25.gif]

tech 03-28-2006 12:23 AM

RE: Front suspension

Yes the front is struts. If you hear clunking check the upper spring seats and swaybar links.
Yes that also works for the front.

ghostriderT6 03-29-2006 11:24 PM

Think I need to have a tech do this instead of attempting it myself? I heard front shocks are tough...

tech 03-30-2006 12:12 AM

If you push hard and it just comes up and stops they are good. If it comes up and goes back down again then they are bad.

ghostriderT6 03-30-2006 10:57 PM

sorry, I meant should I have a mechanic replace the parts on the front suspension instead of attempting to do it myself. I heard it's tough changing out front struts.

rhgibson 03-31-2006 12:50 PM

had the same trouble on my (piece of junk) S80... a banging sound was coming from the right side when i would hit a bump....
as tech said,, it was the strut upper spring seat ($35 part) ... if you know of a reputable tire/suspension shop,, or even better a local independant volvo shop
they should be able to check it for you..... (labor will be a lot more than the part).

rhgibson 03-31-2006 12:53 PM

if you haven't done struts b4,, you definitely need to get a shop to do the job,,,, rebuilding a strut is not an amatuer job.... good luck.

tech 03-31-2006 10:17 PM

Agreed if you have never messed with them before let someone else do it.

Unless you want to live dangerously and learn how to do it.

auburnvolvo 04-01-2006 01:26 PM

I have an '01 2.9 that still has factory warranty. My car has always crashed over small dips or bridges. I thought it was normal but now maybe not. Has anyone had problems on lower mileage cars? Mine has 45K and I believe the shocks had been replaced before I purchase the car.

tech 04-01-2006 04:38 PM

Have it checked out.It can happen with only 45k on it.

ghostriderT6 04-07-2006 12:10 AM

Yea, i replaced the rears already, but that was at about 90k. Mine has about 100k on it now. It's funny...but i've driven cars before all the way up to 200,000 miles and never needed the shocks replaced...how come the S80 shocks/struts go out so fast? Is it because of the 3600 lb. weight factor? it is a heavy car, but 45k seems awfully low. volvos are usually gauranteed though at least 250k...which would be about 5 replacements of the shocks. Unbelievable.