Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Gas leak in the engine bay - Leak found (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/gas-leak-engine-bay-leak-found-14302/)

1999S80T6 10-11-2007 12:01 AM

Gas leak in the engine bay - Leak found

I had a flat tire today and took my S80 T6 to a local Midas auto workshop. Though I didn't notice, they smelled gasoline as soon as they started the engine and figured that the smell is coming from the engine bay. They suspect something wrong with one of the fuel injectors and said they have toremove the engine cover (or what is it?) I circledGREEN in the picture and inspect the fuel injector. I smelled most of the engine bay for gas and found out the the smell is very strong at the circle in RED.

1. Does anybody have an idea of what might be the problem? Is it the fuel injector or something else?
2. Midas guys asked $50-$100 to inspect what is leaking the gas. I didn't inquire about the cost to fix the fuel injector if there really is a problem withit; how much should it cost to fix the fuel injector (just a rough guesstimate so not to get raped by Midas)?
3. How serious is the problem?

Thanks guys.
1999 S80 T6

[IMG]local://upfiles/12401/05AC3A6B6CBE425C9A7A8BCA028F54F1.jpg[/IMG]

tech 10-11-2007 06:01 PM

RE: Gas leak in the engine bay

Look under the car on the passenger side rear and see if it is wet with gas.
Also after it sits for a while does it crank for a while before starting?

1999S80T6 10-11-2007 06:41 PM

Tech -

Crank.. u mean like choking? It does choke for a second or two before I start the car every morning. After that it doesn't when I go to lunch or come back home for work. But it chokes when I try to start it in the morning to go to work.

Regarding under the passenger side, I am sure there are lot of oils mixed in there, I recently had a busted steering pressure hose, so there is steering fluid, suspention fluid, trans fluid. But all of those are fixed now and it is still dirty with the oil mess.

I will check the area to see if it is wet with gas too and reply back after I go home from work in an hour.

Thanksso muchTech.
1999S80T6

tech 10-11-2007 07:01 PM

OK because the pump assemblys are known to crank where the fuel line attaches.
That gives the fuel leak. And when the car sits the pressure drops when the car is off making it hard to start in the morning.

1999S80T6 10-11-2007 08:11 PM

ORIGINAL: tech

Look under the car on the passenger side rear and see if it is wet with gas.
Also after it sits for a while does it crank for a while before starting?
Tech -

I looked under the front and rear passenger side, theres not gas wetness. But as i said, theres other oils that leaked before under the engine bay on the right side of the car. I am not able to make out if ther is gas wetness there; I don't think there is gas wetness because the leaked oil is viscous and doesn't look fresh.

I just called the local Volvo dealership and they quoted $285 just to check if the fuel injector o-rings are ok or are they causing the leak. I want to do this myself and check the o-rings. I would appreciate any advice on DIY fuel injector O-ring.

And where is the gas pump you were talking about located? I will check if there is a leak up there.

Finally, what should I do now? Let the Volvo guys fix it or can I do it myself?

Thank you.

Flip 10-11-2007 09:34 PM

According to your picture, the area that you circled red looks like your fuel rail(notpositive though!), which is where your injectors are also located. So it may just be an injector or your fuel rail. As far as doing the injectors yourself it shouldn't be to hard if you have a repair manual and the proper tools. Good luck and let us know what the problem was.

1999S80T6 10-11-2007 10:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Flip

According to your picture, the area that you circled red looks like your fuel rail(notpositive though!), which is where your injectors are also located. So it may just be an injector or your fuel rail. As far as doing the injectors yourself it shouldn't be to hard if you have a repair manual and the proper tools. Good luck and let us know what the problem was.
I just updated the pic. The smell's strongest near the bigger red circle, may be its coming from the end of the rail - if the fuel injector is leaking. I don't have a repair manual, that is why I am hesitating to check for leaks, but have all the tools to work on it.

I am wondering if I can take off the fuel rail, start the engine without the rail and check visually and by smell if any of the injectors are leaking. I can see orange injectors under the rails but can I run the engine with out the rail to check for a leak??

Do you know where the fuel pump is located?

Thanks.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12401/A1296301AFBD476997766FDF414DADE4.jpg[/IMG]

tech 10-13-2007 10:18 AM

Injectors are not common to leak at all unless someone had them out and torn a seal going back in.
I would clean everything in that area really good with brake cleaner and let it dry.
If you can smell gas you should be able to find the leak and see if leaking.

The fuel pump and sending units are located under the rear seat. The pump unit is on the passenger side the second unit is under the drivers side.

This car has 2 units.

1999S80T6 10-13-2007 12:55 PM

ORIGINAL: tech

Injectors are not common to leak at all unless someone had them out and torn a seal going back in.
I would clean everything in that area really good with brake cleaner and let it dry.
If you can smell gas you should be able to find the leak and see if leaking.

The fuel pump and sending units are located under the rear seat. The pump unit is on the passenger side the second unit is under the drivers side.

This car has 2 units.
There is no wetness under the rear seats on both sides. It is completely dry. I think this rules out the problems with fuel pump.

I did not smell gas in the engine bay today morning before starting the car. I smelled gas as soon as I started the engine at the same red circles I indicated in the pic.

As you said, I am going to detach the pvc pipes and remove the railing and clean the place where the fuel injectors are with brake cleaner and let you know.

Question - Where else can the gas leak other than the fuel injector O-rings and fuel pumps? If the fuel injector O-ringsare good, where should I search for the leak next?

Thanks Tech.
1999S80T6

tech 10-13-2007 01:05 PM

Not really anywhere else.
Fuel leak is not common on these cars either.

1999S80T6 10-13-2007 04:43 PM

Latest Update:

I took the car to an amateur mechanic (but certified) and he said he doesn't smell any gas leak in the engine bay or near the fuel injectors when the engine is running. We test drove the car and he still didn't find the smell. The smell I am getting - he says - is the regular used car engine fumes that are coming from leaked fluids or oils in the engine bay (I had quite a few leaks earlier). Other than that he doesn't smell any gas or doesn't want to fix the fuel injector O-rings blindly without knowing if there is a problem.

So, for now I am going to go on a long drive on the highway and see if I can smell any obvious gas leaks.

Thanks guys. I'll update.

1999S80T6

1999S80T6 10-14-2007 11:18 PM

Guys, I think I figured out where the gas leak is. I am not sure what the nozzle/nipple is called, please see PIC 1, I marked it with an arrow. I think thats where the gas is leaking but it is not visible, I can only smell it, must be a minor leak. I removed the outer rail today - not the one with the fuel injectors attached - and found that there is a lot of black soot on the rail and also on the inside area near the injectors, not sure what it is or where it is coming from.

Btw, as you can see, the cap for the nozzle is missing. And a lot ofbrownresidue is visible on the engine - PIC 2, where is this coming from? Is it the gas?

Anyway, if that is where it is leaking, I have some questions:

1. What is the nozzle called?
2. What is the rail which has the fuel injectors and the nozzleattached called?

3. How do I fix this nozzle leak?
4. Any tips or cautions while working on this?
5. If I replace the whole rail while keeping the old fuel injectors, do I need to do any reprogramming of the computer or anything related to the computer.
6. What about the pressure regulator which is attached to the rail?Can I still use the old one?

I will be able to replace the rail thing if I need to, but I am very concerned about the computer, if it gives me messages in future...

Help me out guys...

Thank you very much in advance.
1999S80T6

[IMG]local://upfiles/12401/6698F53D6A4C4B3BABFB2C580D83D3B0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/12401/626AE5E053BD42E7AC2C86734A31C6D8.jpg[/IMG]

tech 10-15-2007 06:14 PM

The residue is a sealer from the factory.
Try capping the nozzle with just a Valve stem cap from a tire.
That is the fuel pressure test port.
I would do that first and see if the smell goes away.

Volvocars 10-19-2007 10:53 PM

DONT try to run the car with the injector rail removed! It wont run but it will crank and besides it wont help spot the problem.

The fuel is under 55 psi of pressure,is highly flammable and hurt like heck if yo get itinyour eyes. Always wear safety glasses.
A leak in any of the hoses should be easy to spot but remember fuel evaporates quickly. Like tech said it isnt the residue on your engine. Fuel leaves at best a thin whitish stain that doesn't show up on most materials

The metal fuel line runs up underneath yourlarger red circlebehind the alternator/ ps pumpbracketand then cuts over to enter the fuel rail. But I doubt thats the problem.

Needmore info?

I'm interested to see what happens.

1999S80T6 10-19-2007 11:09 PM

I went to the dealer today. He said he can run a 'Smoke Test' on the fuel system and find the leak - smoke is pumped/run thru the fuel system and see where it comes out from. Its a one hour job, so $110 to run the test. He said what Tech said - fuel leaks are uncommon on these cars.

Here's what I decided, I bought 6 new fuel injector O-rings. I will replace the O-rings and check if it still leaks and loses pressure. If that fixes the problem then happy ending... if not, I will have to take it to the dealer and run a smoke test.

The nozzle I pointed at is called the 'Connector' on the this dealer's parts dept. computer diagram, it looks a little different than my nozzle but he says that is it. Also, the dealer did not have a cap for that in stock, so ordered it, will be here on Monday. (It costs $1.00). And a volvo dismantler is selling the whole fuel injector rail for $66 - just inquired.

So, the bottom line is I will replace the O-rings and put a cap on the fuel pressure test port/connector. Will keep you guys updated once after O-rings and once after the cap.

Thanks everybody for your input.
1999S80T6

1999S80T6 10-21-2007 01:27 PM

Guys, replacing the fuel injector O-rings soon. I would be greatful if somebody can throw in some warnings, cautions, procedures, instructions, tips and tricks.

Thanks.
1999S80T6

tech 10-21-2007 08:39 PM

Bleed off the fuel pressure before removing the fuel rail.
Other than that it should be pretty straight foward.

ron1 10-22-2007 07:31 AM

RE: Gas leak in the engine bay - Leak found

i don't think it up there at all. iwas smelling gas on my s80 what looks like grease under your rear pass. side wheel is dried gas leaking out from the return line down to top of tank which pools and mixs with road grit makeing it look like dried oil. i took up my rear seat and took out the passenger side back. and theres a 5- 5 1/2in black plate under it is the fuel get someone to start the car and you'll see it aswhile here the air leak then gas.
When you start your car from a cold start does it takelonger to to catch then before? But if you make a quick stop and turn it off . when you start it again it starts faster if yes then the crack let air in the line causing the delay. don't know how to add pictures. will send to your email

1999S80T6 10-22-2007 01:32 PM

ron1-

The grease I was talking about is under my FRONT passenger side. Yes, it does take longer to catch than before from a cold start. Please email the pics to me. I'm going to replace the fuel injector O-rings and if the smell still exists, then I will as what you suggested with the rear passenger seat.

Thanks for your input.

Ricardo12 10-22-2007 09:37 PM

I have a 1999 Volvo S80 2.9 with 90,000 + miles and lately I have noticed gas fumes from time to time with in the last year. I have looked various places but have not been able to find any fuel leaks. I have not removed the rear seat and looked under it. The odder seems to be strongest near the right rear side on the car after it is parked in our enclosedgarage. I have not noticed the odder when the car is moving,parked out in the open or when I am inside the car. I looked up under the right rear wheel well and there is a canister of sort with what appears to have a pipe coming out of one endwith nothing attachedto it.
I recently changed the spark plus and Ihave noticed that in the morning it takes a little longer to start. If I turn on the ignition switch and wait a second or two it will start faster than trying to start it immediately.
I am interested in knowing what you find and where I can look. Thenhow to fix the problem.