Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Going to do a brake job. (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/going-do-brake-job-78299/)

Mycophiles 05-20-2014 08:28 AM

Going to do a brake job.

For the first time I'm going to do a brake job on my mothers 2004 s80. Every time I hear she has gotten work done on the car it infuriates me how much they are charging her. Thus: I'm doing it.

I was wondering if any of you guys could point me toward a reputable parts place for volvo's here in Texas. I figure I'd buy online.

Appreciate everything (in advance)

placervillebob 05-20-2014 02:26 PM

Check out IPD (they are online). I replaced all 4 rotors and pads as well as fluid (using their power bleed system) about 6 months or so ago, on our 2004. The job was easy and they work great. Only minor complaint I have is the OEM pads generated a lot of dust and was told these new pads would not be as bad - wrong!! If I remember correctly the shipping was either reduced cost or free - due to the total cost of parts.
Good Luck
placervillebob

lonestar245 05-21-2014 10:23 AM

I have done this with my 2002 S80. I purchased rotors and pads at NAPA. I got the cheaper version they offered because I was in the throes of replacing a lot of parts at once, and was attempting to be economical. I did end up exchanging the two front rotors- one was bad right out of the box- likely a return that was placed back on the shelf, and another developed a problem (pulse) over time and was exchanged.

Moral of the story- they had a warranty so exchanging was not a big deal. Remove bad part, take to store, exchange, go home and replace with new part. Had I to do this over again, I would buy better quality rotors from the start.

As for pads, I like ceramic because they tend to dust less, stop quicker, and place less wear on the rotor. They also last a long time. Downside is they tend to be more expensive (but worth it IMO). I have used NAPA brand on my Volvo with success. AutoZone on my GMC truck and on an Audi A4 for a friend. I really like the Autozone pads better. I think they were Duralast Gold CMax. Zero Issues. QUIET!

Of course there are great foreign brands available mail order, and I have no issues going that way except when a critical part like a brake component fails and I need to do an exchange. That said, FCP has been good about selling me a new part (and charging for it) then crediting me after returning the defective part. its just more paperwork, and you have to watch for the credit, and you may get dinged 10% in the process. And you may have to pay return shipping.

Another source for parts I like is RockAuto.com

Mycophiles 05-23-2014 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by lonestar245 (Post 388626)
I have done this with my 2002 S80. I purchased rotors and pads at NAPA. I got the cheaper version they offered because I was in the throes of replacing a lot of parts at once, and was attempting to be economical. I did end up exchanging the two front rotors- one was bad right out of the box- likely a return that was placed back on the shelf, and another developed a problem (pulse) over time and was exchanged.

Moral of the story- they had a warranty so exchanging was not a big deal. Remove bad part, take to store, exchange, go home and replace with new part. Had I to do this over again, I would buy better quality rotors from the start.

As for pads, I like ceramic because they tend to dust less, stop quicker, and place less wear on the rotor. They also last a long time. Downside is they tend to be more expensive (but worth it IMO). I have used NAPA brand on my Volvo with success. AutoZone on my GMC truck and on an Audi A4 for a friend. I really like the Autozone pads better. I think they were Duralast Gold CMax. Zero Issues. QUIET!

Of course there are great foreign brands available mail order, and I have no issues going that way except when a critical part like a brake component fails and I need to do an exchange. That said, FCP has been good about selling me a new part (and charging for it) then crediting me after returning the defective part. its just more paperwork, and you have to watch for the credit, and you may get dinged 10% in the process. And you may have to pay return shipping.

Another source for parts I like is RockAuto.com

Thanks for the info. I'll stick with rockauto Have used them a lot and done returns with them. They are good folk. (for me at least)