Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   headlights (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/headlights-26072/)

volvos8087 12-31-2008 02:16 PM

headlights

i seem to have moisture or condensation whatever you want to call it on the inside on my headlamp lens and i want to clear it out but what is the best way. any help would be great

tech 12-31-2008 02:20 PM

RE: headlights

It is a pain. The condensation is usually from an air leak somewhere.
You can try blowing with compressed air. Thats about it unless you want to pull the front bumper most of the way off and remove the headlights.

gordon368 12-31-2008 06:15 PM

also rainX worksfor me.

volvos8087 12-31-2008 07:47 PM

for the inside?

Crito 12-31-2008 10:07 PM

My passenger side headlight had sand in it - carfax says 30K miles ago was serviced at Maroon Volvo in Delray Beach, FL. I blew compressed air through bulb hole but the sand actually fused to reflector from the heat. So I polished outside of lens and that helped a little, but looks like Im gonna have to replace the whole assembly to make it look like the driver side's again. :( Think I saw OEM part on some website for ~$230. Not in my budget right now though.

Anywho, if sand particles can get through Im not surprised water is a problem. To be fair though, looks like some idjut might have busted mine putting in new bulbs (since other side is fine). Both my low beam bulb connectors were busted. I had to splice on new ones and replace bent bulb clips - well, I bought one and bent the others back into proper shape, actually. ;) I guess nobody told him you have to align and clip in the bulb before connecting the wires. So might not be because of a design flaw, could be mechanic error.

andrei3333 01-01-2009 02:12 AM

this seems to be a common issue on these cars, my has has one old and one new headlight assembly, and they both have water condensation on the inside, which is annoying...compressed air is not a permament solution... i will probly seal the headlights with silicone in the summer, too cold now to work on the car

SACS80 01-01-2009 04:20 AM

I have the same issue on my car. I removed the entire front bumper and removed both head light assemblies. The right side had a small crack at the top of the plastic where the seal was. Water was leaking in and hitting the bulb. The back of the reflector was really oxidized with mineral deposits. I tried blowing compressed air into the bulb holder when it was attached to the car. That only made the water hit the glass, and create more water spots on the reflector.

Just a word of advice. DO NOT TOUCH THE REFLECTORS! The finish rubs off even with water. Just use a clean microfiber towel to remove the water spots gently.

I ended up buying a replacement non-OEM headlight assembally for around $180. Damm thing even included bulbs. As soon as I looked at the left side glass. I purchased a replacement glass and clips, just to match.

I think even with the cap mods with gore-tex. We will still get water inside. They needs to be some type of drain so that water if accumilated can escape. I plan on posting a "artical" on my solution along with my HID upgrade.

gordon368 01-01-2009 03:57 PM

RainX on the outside, i rubbed mine in a good while for each headlight.