Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Help! Cleaning the ETM and need to replace little hose (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/help-cleaning-etm-need-replace-little-hose-77691/)

fiat128 04-12-2014 05:23 PM

Help! Cleaning the ETM and need to replace little hose

I was cleaning the ETM like it shows in the video in an attempt to get the car to quit stalling and I need to replace both the big plastic blow molded intake tube and the little hose assembly off the side that feeds in the oil vapors that gunked it up in the first place so it can get all stick again in a few years (what is this thing called?????)

There is a small fitting on the larger tube that looks like it was sonic welded to the bigger tube (very poorly in typical Ford fashion) and that broke off. As I was trying to take the split rubber hose off the side I broke the connector going to the small vaccumn line going to the bottom of the manifold. I need both of these parts but I can't find anyone online selling the correct larger part and I can't figure out what to search on for the smaller one.

Any sort of help is appreciated. I don't know if Volvo people dismantle and hoard up parts like Fiat guys do but if any of you have these pieces, I'll happily put money in your pocket for them.

fiat128 04-12-2014 05:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are the two hoses I need. The yellow circles show where they broke (I stuck them together for the photo but they can't be repaired). The small hose assembly is normally covered with a rubber sleeve, which I removed to inspect it.

Attachment 16279

Attachment 16280

majorcode 04-12-2014 06:28 PM

Hi fiat128

I broke these two items year ago as well while cleaning ETM. Apparently they are available at FCP but quit expense as compare to their made material. Therefore I decided to go old fashioned way.

For the Big hose, I simply took stove gas pipe (Not water) and cut the pipe in a length as required to meet other end...and inserted the pipe into the hose and welded it with epoxy and some other stuff. And it was success.

Regarding the small pipe for the manifold, I went to junk yard and looked but did not find...then found similar pipes..and guess what different types of such pipes scattered around junk yard owner. I took which I thought to be fit....and he happily gave me for no charge. I got back and fitted it but remember (Cover it with some plastic shield cover). Done. It was success either.

fiat128 04-14-2014 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by majorcode (Post 386144)
Hi fiat128

I broke these two items year ago as well while cleaning ETM. Apparently they are available at FCP but quit expense as compare to their made material. Therefore I decided to go old fashioned way.

For the Big hose, I simply took stove gas pipe (Not water) and cut the pipe in a length as required to meet other end...and inserted the pipe into the hose and welded it with epoxy and some other stuff. And it was success.

Regarding the small pipe for the manifold, I went to junk yard and looked but did not find...then found similar pipes..and guess what different types of such pipes scattered around junk yard owner. I took which I thought to be fit....and he happily gave me for no charge. I got back and fitted it but remember (Cover it with some plastic shield cover). Done. It was success either.

I did finally manage to find the little one for sale, it's about $60. For the big one I was thinking maybe I can fabricate a copper sleeve and flare it on the inside and then use JB weld to hold the nipple on (since JB weld doesn't stick to polyethyene too well I may drill some small holes through both the plastic and copper to make the expoy flow through to make a mechanical plastic "rivet" out of it)