Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Help with service codes (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/help-service-codes-1242/)

patg 04-02-2005 02:11 PM

Help with service codes

I am looking at buying a 1999 S80 with 31,000 miles that appears to be in very good condition. One problem though it had a check engine light and the owner said that it just came on a couple of days ago. Of course, I took it to my mechanic and he checked out the car but when he hooked it up to his computer the system showed two codes 1171 and 1181, but his software does not tell him what they mean. I would like to avoid taking it to a Volvo dealer and paying a couple hundred dollars just to find out if I should buy the car.

tech 04-02-2005 11:21 PM

RE: Help with service codes

Another thing you can try is if you have an Auto Zone or Advanced Auto Parts near you they pull codes for free.They will give you an Idea of what is wrong.Those are generic codes and I don't have my book anymore to look them up.

patg 04-03-2005 09:42 PM

Tried that but when Auto Zone used their computer it did not register any codes. Thanks for the suggestion though.

tech 04-04-2005 01:37 AM

Are you sure it was 1171, and 1181 and not 117,118 if it was 117,118 that is for the coolant temp sensor.

patg 04-04-2005 09:50 AM

1171 and 1181 were the codes my mechanic had given me. I will mention the 117 and 118 codes to him.

Thanks

tech 04-04-2005 09:36 PM

Ok let me know what happens.

Carl 04-21-2005 02:53 PM

Just had the same problem with my 2001 2.9 S80. The codes are the equivalent to 0271a and 0261a (Upper limit value for the fuel balancing ) from Volvo vadis. Possible causes for that are : bad fuel cap (or unscrewed), bad O2 sensor, leak in the air admission or vacuum hose and finnally (if nothing else is found) mass air flow defective (or dirty).

I changed the air filter that was very dirty (they didn't change it when they did the last tune up on it) and clean the air mass sensor at the same time with non-chlorinated brake cleaner and everything is fixed.

I have Vadis installed on my laptop and i got all the equivalent for the codes OBDII.

The service message will dissapear after 5 or 6 cycles of key , but the codes will remain in the computer if you don't have a OBDII scanner to erase it (that is what i used).

Hope it helps !

oconnomo 05-10-2005 09:33 PM

I'd recommend getting a good prebuy inspection on the car at the dealership (Running the codes cost 60 bucks max...). I just purchased an S80 a month ago that has been a money pit. I have spent over $2000 getting this car back into shape. I am mechanically inclined and have done all the repairs myself. I would hate to see my repair bill if I couldn't install these new parts myself.
The problem with these newer cars is the computerized parts. The dealer has to install these due to the fact that they have to run the software to activate the part. It looks like a ploy to make it necessary for the dealer to be involved in ones maintenance. I will never buy another volvo without a dealer prebuy. It is worth the price......