Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   HID Lights (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/hid-lights-25517/)

SACS80 12-13-2008 06:14 AM

HID Lights

Anyone here install SharpHID's 35W lights in a 04' S80?

tower101 12-13-2008 05:53 PM

RE: HID Lights

Installed them on a 99.

SACS80 12-13-2008 06:06 PM

Any tips?

tower101 12-16-2008 07:45 AM

Get the battery kit, other then that it's very simple.

gordon368 12-16-2008 10:57 AM

At times people will high beam you b/c they can be blinding in that type of housing.

nicolaselias 12-16-2008 03:19 PM

i just bought the exact same brand from www.ddmtuning.com for about 40% less... id suggest you look into it...
I expect sharphid to have a quicker turnover time on shipping, but the price difference for the same product justifys it..

does the 04 s80 have projector lights or just reflectors?

tech 12-16-2008 04:52 PM

In my 850 I adjusted them down a hair more and still till this day haven't been flashed and it has been months now.
Also had the wife sit in her car and drove head on to have her see if they were blinding and they werent.

SACS80 12-17-2008 05:00 PM

Thanks guys...

tower101: John at SharpHID assured me that I did not need the HID Battery Wiring Harness. Depending on how installation goes I may order one after.

gordon368: I am fully aware of those types of drivers. Most of the time I'm the one that is being blinded due to all of the SUV's in my city.

nicolaselias: I checked out your previous posts about them. I finally settled on SharpHID.
I just have the reflectors.

tech: How can I adjust my headlights without going to the dealership?

tech 12-17-2008 05:15 PM

There is adjustments on the headlight itself to adjust it up and down and side to side.
You will need like a 5 or 6MM socket on your to adjust it. One should be in the middle of the headlight on the back side of it. The other one I believe is on the side.

tower101 12-17-2008 07:59 PM

ORIGINAL: SACS80

Thanks guys...

tower101: John at SharpHID assured me that I did not need the HID Battery Wiring Harness. Depending on how installation goes I may order one after.

gordon368: I am fully aware of those types of drivers. Most of the time I'm the one that is being blinded due to all of the SUV's in my city.

nicolaselias: I checked out your previous posts about them. I finally settled on SharpHID.
I just have the reflectors.

tech: How can I adjust my headlights without going to the dealership?

Let us know how it goes. On mine I would have to turn the lights off and then back on after starting the car but others did not have the problem. Also the checked dipped beam would not go away even with the cancelers the John sells.

SACS80 12-17-2008 08:35 PM

Will do.

nicolaselias 12-18-2008 12:17 AM

I should put my DDM HID kit on my accord tomorrow.. I think the Volvo has sufficient light not to require the HID's...
Anyway il let you know how it works out..

nicolaselias 12-20-2008 12:18 AM

Put the slimline DDM in today and I have to say, I am EXTREMELY impressed and satisfied.. The installation was not particularly challenging and the quality of light is superb! I dont think I am blinding anyone because my reflectors on the accord are aimed properly..

SO, I WOULD recommend this kit for Volvo people either from www.ddmtuning.com or www.sharphid.com (DDM being 40% cheaper) ...
It was easier for me though as my accord doesnt provide lighting error messages..
once again, im satisfied and i think the lifetime warranty gives me a little more peace of mind..

SACS80 12-20-2008 01:42 AM

Still waiting fro Sharp to ship my kit. Been a week. lol John says "Monday"...

nicolaselias 12-20-2008 03:06 AM

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } Style Definitions table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:"; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} may a well have gone with DDM then, I assumed the advantage of sharp was that they would get it to you faster...$100 vs $60, il stick with DDM I think....
Only problem is, now that I have driven with HID's, I don’t know how I can go back to anything else... I just bought some PIAA W5W 168 5w parking light bulbs with a supposed temp of 5000k to match my HID's .. I don’t really like how the 3500k light looks right next to my 5000's.... I’m even considering getting a high beam HID kit even though its probably completely unnecessary

So far I’ve upgraded lighting on 2 of the 5 cars at home... The Accord and the Maxima (Sylvania ultra's (not impressed) and Toshiba HIR's (very impressed but almost as expensive as HID kit)) and the Nissan Cefiro needs no upgrades... I think next in line is a hi/low beam HID kit from DDM for the Pajero (Montero).. The stock lighting is pretty poor.. switch to high beams and you lose nearly all near-lighting

RE: My s80.. I think I will leave it stock because to buy 3 kits to keep my colour matching.. I don’t think its worth it..

SACS80 12-20-2008 03:40 PM

I think the next time I choose HID I will go with DDM. I ordered some stuff direct from Japan at the same time and it got here faster than SharpHID. Sacramento-Oakland. 5 days? lol I understand it's X-mas but......[:@][8D]:(:(:(:eek:

nicolaselias 12-20-2008 04:07 PM

well DDM is based in San Diego so it not THAT much further... The turnover time was a bit poor due to low stock, but they got it to me on time thankfully..

so, good luck with it, the install isnt too challenging, and my accord didnt even need the battery harness

nicolaselias 12-23-2008 01:28 PM

What colour temperature did you order on the ddm 35w?

I ordered 5k but when I got the box it said 4500k, and when I called them they told me to check the colour on the ceramic strip under the light, and they said the black was 5k, somehow, I just suspect i got stuck with 4500k (which is fine, just was wondering)

what temp did you order because I could do with a comparison..

Thanks

PS. got em yet?

gordon368 12-23-2008 03:41 PM

I ordered 8000k and that was saweeet! it was a ocean blue snowish color... it looked hot against my white s80 :)

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2188838

those were what mine look like (towards the bottom of the link)

nicolaselias 12-23-2008 04:24 PM

site down for maintainance, il check it back soon...
I deliberately went with 5000k, i wanted a pure white with no blue or yellow... it isnt for my s80 though, but i can vouch for the kit... the s80 has a much better reflector lens and housing than the accord and even driving behind my friend, he said my HID's didnt blind him at all..

good news for if I decide to put them on the s80... how do the cops react to HID's in reflector housing, assuming i put a "normal" colour like 4500 or 5000k