Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   HID lights and dipped beam warning??? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/hid-lights-dipped-beam-warning-35453/)

solarman 10-15-2009 06:40 PM

HID lights and dipped beam warning???

I have just installed a HID kit and now I get a Dipped beam failure on my 99 S80 T6. The lights work awsome and I would recomend them to all.
But this new warning needs to go and the bulbs stay. Any thoughts? I have used the search funtion and found little cures

jlewisinsyr 10-16-2009 06:10 AM

Did you install Bulb Out Cancellers and where did you buy them from? I'd highly recommend talking to John and SharpHID, he stands behinds what he sells and will help you along the way in resolving issues.

The failure you mention is not uncommon.

4g63 10-16-2009 08:27 AM

I tried to add the proper resistors to make the car see 55w instead of 35w (which is what my HIDs pull) and had no luck. I have noticed though that I get the warning a lot less frequently when the headlights are in the on position, instead of just DTL. I wonder if it pulls more current in that position.

ITS ME DAVID 02-12-2010 03:14 AM

if you were to install a 55watt his kit will this dipped beam warning light not occur ?

jlewisinsyr 02-12-2010 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by ITS ME DAVID (Post 205259)
if you were to install a 55watt his kit will this dipped beam warning light not occur ?

My car wouldn't work even with the 55W kit and BOW Cancellers. John at Sharp HID and myself worked for a long time on the issue and short of seeing if Volvo would flash the software and disable the warning system, we were at a loss on how to fix the issue.

bihsoccer14 02-16-2010 10:52 AM

yeah i have same probalem but when my car warms up it goes away any ecplanation ?

twistab4pudd 03-31-2010 07:39 AM

Ok, I went out and bought the 55W kit. As soon as I got home, I uninstalled the 35W kit and then installed the 55W kit. As soon as I was finished I went to test it out and bam, the same "bulb dip failure" error appeared on the message screen, and the orange triangle in the middle of the dash was once again glowing. The 55W kit did not solve my problem. How do you have yours hooked up? I also have a relay harness hooked up, do you? I even tried with both 35W and 55W kit, those "HID error cancelers" and that did nothing for either kit. I was about to undo the relay harness, but I wanted some other opinions on what else it could be, or that I'm doing wrong. Do i have to go to the dealership with the 55W hid's installed and have them make the cars computer recognize them? I'm lost...Any help will be greatly appreciated!

jlewisinsyr 03-31-2010 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by twistab4pudd (Post 212104)
Do i have to go to the dealership with the 55W hid's installed and have them make the cars computer recognize them? I'm lost...Any help will be greatly appreciated!

That was the last solution I was presented with basically, I'd have to take it to the dealership and have them flash the car's computer to recognize the lights, but they are not required to do this (even with a fee). I didn't feel like dealing with it, so I gave up.

twistab4pudd 04-01-2010 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by jlewisinsyr (Post 212134)
That was the last solution I was presented with basically, I'd have to take it to the dealership and have them flash the car's computer to recognize the lights, but they are not required to do this (even with a fee). I didn't feel like dealing with it, so I gave up.

OK, I FIGURED THE PROBLEM OUT!!! I have tried for a year now and finally found a way that WILL GET RID OF THE GLOWING TRIANGLE AND GET RID OF THE MESSAGE "BULB FAILURE DIPPED BEAM." I had a 35w kit, a relay harness and "HID error cancelers" originally. I heard all the talk about getting the 55W kit to get rid of the errors, so this is exactly what I did... I went on this site http://www.manyadeal.com/ and bought the single beam 55W 8000k HID kit.
When I received them (they use DHL express) I hooked them up and still had the same errors. When I took off my relay harness, I just hooked up the HID kit like normal, but also hooked them up with "HID error cancelers" here http://adf.ly/1eQo So all in all....

55W HID kit + HID error cancelers= No bulb failure dipped beam & no orange glowing triangle!!!

jlewisinsyr 04-02-2010 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by twistab4pudd (Post 212244)
OK, I FIGURED THE PROBLEM OUT!!! I have tried for a year now and finally found a way that WILL GET RID OF THE GLOWING TRIANGLE AND GET RID OF THE MESSAGE "BULB FAILURE DIPPED BEAM." I had a 35w kit, a relay harness and "HID error cancelers" originally. I heard all the talk about getting the 55W kit to get rid of the errors, so this is exactly what I did... I went on this site http://www.manyadeal.com/ and bought the single beam 55W 8000k HID kit.
When I received them (they use DHL express) I hooked them up and still had the same errors. When I took off my relay harness, I just hooked up the HID kit like normal, but also hooked them up with "HID error cancelers" here http://adf.ly/1eQo So all in all....

55W HID kit + HID error cancelers= No bulb failure dipped beam & no orange glowing triangle!!!

For me:
Relay Harness, HID Cancelers and 55W Kit = No Work
HID Cancelers and 55W Kit = No Work
Relay Harness and 55W Kit = No Work

I wish there was a one size fits all scenario, but these cars are very sensitive, with some being more so then others.

justinkcyu 11-13-2011 07:59 PM

I drilled a 2mm hole in the shunt to remove the warning message (low beam 35W HID) for my 99 s80. The warning canceler doesn't work to remove the warning for lo beam.

:: XENONVALOT.COM :: Xenon hid fix Volvo S60 V70 S80 lampfel warning manufacturer HID

I also use 35W HID for my hi beam (no warning message).

williamjames262 03-02-2012 07:19 PM

hello, you need or to buy a canbus ballast 55w hid kit or to buy some pair of warning cancellers on ebay for 10$ the pair. it should fix the error on the dash. The warning canceller do fix some dash error issue but not all. canbus ballast can fix almost all issue.

youmeill 03-15-2012 10:12 PM

OK, I FIGURED THE PROBLEM OUT!!! I have tried for a year now and finally found a way that WILL GET RID OF THE GLOWING TRIANGLE AND GET RID OF THE MESSAGE "BULB FAILURE DIPPED BEAM." I had a 35w kit, a relay harness and "HID error cancelers" originally. I heard all the talk about getting the 55W kit to get rid of the errors, so this is exactly what I did... I went on this site Xenon Hid Kit: Hid Headlight, Hid Fog Light, Xenon Conversion Kits and Hid Kit Accessories and bought the single beam 55W 8000k HID kit.
When I received them (they use DHL express) I hooked them up and still had the same errors. When I took off my relay harness, I just hooked up the HID kit like normal, but also hooked them up with "HID error cancelers" here AdF.ly - shrink your URLs and get paid! So all in all....

manyadeal.com is a good online store. i support it !:cool:

youmeill 04-01-2012 04:44 AM

OK, I FIGURED THE PROBLEM OUT!!! I have tried for a year now and finally found a way that WILL GET RID OF THE GLOWING TRIANGLE AND GET RID OF THE MESSAGE "BULB FAILURE DIPPED BEAM." I had a 35w kit, a relay harness and "HID error cancelers" originally. I heard all the talk about getting the 55W kit to get rid of the errors, so this is exactly what I did... I went on this site Xenon Hid Kit: Hid Headlight, Hid Fog Light, Xenon Conversion Kits and Hid Kit Accessories and bought the single beam 55W 8000k HID kit.
When I received them (they use DHL express) I hooked them up and still had the same errors. When I took off my relay harness, I just hooked up the HID kit like normal, but also hooked them up with "HID error cancelers" here AdF.ly - shrink your URLs and get paid! So all in all....

:cool:

j_m74 12-31-2013 08:47 AM

I can confirm that justinkcyu's method (located here) DOES indeed work. I'm using a 35W HID Kit (Kensun 8000K H7 HID Kit, purchased from Amazon for about $50 a pair), along with the Kensun HID Relay Harness/Error Cancelling dongles (about $10 a pair on Amazon) on my 2000 S80 T6. The vehicle normally calls for 55w of lighting power from the relay to the CEM (Central Electronic Module, located on the left footwell of the driver side under dash). Removing the shunt and drilling a hole the size of 2 mm (roughly 1/8 of an inch diameter drill bit) will cause the shunt to "pull" or simulate more power (in this case, resistance in the measure of mOhms) from the headlight to the CEM, and thus back out to your dashboard indication lights (red triangle and status message indicating "Dipped Beam-Bulb Failure").

THANKS FOR THE STEP IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION, justinkcyu! THIS FIXES THE DIPPED BEAM-BULB FAILURE ERROR MESSAGE, and my new HID light kit works great!