Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   How to Change Oil and Reset Service Light (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/how-change-oil-reset-service-light-9604/)

go2sharks 01-16-2007 04:27 PM

How to Change Oil and Reset Service Light

I've benefited much from this site, so I'm now giving back. Of course, all these information can be found on here but scatter in many threads. I hope people will likeit and stick it on top. Thanks to Tech for helping many!

Oil filter and service light

I going to skip the basics like buy filters and oil, hehehe,and get to the important technical information.

1) Make sure you have the special oil filter wrench. Mine actually broke because the previous tech over tighten the filter housing. If this happen to you, drill 4 holes through the 2 pieces and use small screws and nuts to put them back together. I used rivets at first, but that also broke, then I used screws and nuts. You will understand what I'm talking about here when the tool actually breaks on yours.

2) Have the ability to get your car much higher off the ground. "You need to remove the big plastic cover under the engine. There is I think 7 12mm screws holding it on."

3) Important for first timer: this is an insert type of oil filter, not the regular which my local auto part store sold me. arhh Also, make sure you have a large enough oil collection pan, the engine holds almost 6 qts.

4) Put the filter inside the housing and add oil to soak it before you install it. This helps it from sucking up the oil later and you will run low. Here's a neat tip. I used an empty oil bottle and cut the bottom of it to use it as a funnel (given you must empty the 1st bottle).

Service light: This works for me. 2000 S80 2.9L non-turbo

1. Put the key in the first ignition position
2. Press & hold the odometer buttom
3. Move the key to the second position position (all the lights should come on)
4. The service light should start blinking within 10 seconds.
5. Release the buttom then turn off ignition key.

freshy 07-02-2007 03:37 PM

RE: How to Change Oil and Reset Service Light

How did you end up getting your oil filter off? My cap wrench broke as well because the idiot that did it previously(Quick Lube shop) wayyyyy overtightened it. can one of the strap filter wrenches be used?

Good tip about repairing with small bolts. I am going to have to do that so that the $15 bucks I paid for it doesn't go down the drain after the first use.

go2sharks 07-02-2007 04:58 PM

RE: How to Change Oil and Reset Service Light

I couldn't use anything else to open the housing as there wasn't room for anything else. I was about to put a flat screw driver through it , but I thought of the repair solution to the "cap wrench" and that worked.

FYI, I ordered a new cap wrench with my next part purchase (eEuroparts free shipping over $35). I will re-enforce it before use.