Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   How do I press in a new balljoint? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/how-do-i-press-new-balljoint-38780/)

poor_red_neck 02-05-2010 01:54 AM

How do I press in a new balljoint?

So I'm replacing my control arm and bushings as well as ball joints.

I got the old ball joint out with nothing but a small hammer and a flat head screwdriver. However I'm having a hard time getting the new balljoints in. I didn't take the hub off and only have the car on jack stands. Not much room to swing a hammer.

Any tips?

tech 02-05-2010 09:38 PM

I use the screws and try to keep the balljoint level. But I use a punch and tap it in some then screw the screw in a little at a time till it is seated.
I just did one today at work.

Magnum PI 03-06-2010 02:15 AM

Shop quoted me over $500 to do the front. Thinking about trying this myself as the front end sounds like a bucket of bolts. Is it do-able in the home garage without special tools?

tech 03-06-2010 09:27 PM

Yes it is.

trebuchet5684 04-27-2010 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by tech (Post 204343)
I use the screws and try to keep the balljoint level. But I use a punch and tap it in some then screw the screw in a little at a time till it is seated.
I just did one today at work.

I'm ready to start throwing hammers here, Tech. I think I damaged that tiny little seal on the inside "flange" if you can even call it that. This job is frickin' impossible. Any idea where to get the &%&*{$ recommended tools?:mad:

tech 04-27-2010 07:43 PM

DO you mean the boot on the balljoint?
How bad is it?
Another thing you can try is find a metal pipe that will just go around the boot and hammer on the pipe to tap it in.

trebuchet5684 04-27-2010 07:44 PM

Not the boot, the little tiny gasket around the base. Appears to be a seperate piece but hard to tell.

There's nothing for the pipe to rest against on the inside.

tech 04-27-2010 07:47 PM

You slide the pipe right over the balljoint shaft and it rests where the bolts go through the balljoint into the hub.

trebuchet5684 04-27-2010 07:51 PM

I rented a traditional ball joint press that has parts similar to what you're talking about. Problem is that when you tap it, the ball joint goes in leaning to the outside because there's no lip on the inside of the part so all the pressure goes on the outside, front and back where there is a place to push against.

I'm trying to upload a photo ... let's see how this goes.

trebuchet5684 04-27-2010 08:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
the near side is the side that I cannot seem to get to go in.

tech 04-27-2010 08:07 PM

As long as it presses on the balljoint you can hit the opposite end of the pipe to straighten it.
Or do like I said originally said. Use the screws to put pressure on the balljoint and tap the balljoint in and keep tightening the screws at the same time. Hit the balljoint towards the inside like right next to the screws.

trebuchet5684 04-27-2010 08:12 PM

I'll keep at it. Thanks.

tech 04-27-2010 08:14 PM

I wish I had an easier way for you. But I do not. If the pipe rests just inside the bolt holes and you hit it straight it should go.

KeithS60&V70T5 04-28-2010 12:29 AM

I used a blow torch

I hope I am not out of line and of course you will want to wait for a reply from the techs. At the recommend of Senior Member "Typhoon" I used a propane blow torch to heat up the metal and the ball joint squeezed right in as I gradually tightened the bolts down. Be careful not to heat up the rubber. I too went through all the same frustrations as was explained here and I even damaged the rubber with the sleeve I had been hammering with. I too had rented a special tool to no avail.

Don

Beachbum 04-28-2010 10:49 AM

Ball Joint replacement - S80

For what it's worth...

I went to Home Depot and bought a 2" (ID) x 3" long pipe nipple. This fits perfectly around the ball joint. I just lined up the bolt holes by eye, tapped it in a little to get it started straight, and used the pipe nipple and a hammer to seat it all the way (with the steering knuckle resting on a block of wood).

I did remove the steering knuckle from the car, however. I agree it would be hard to do this with the knuckle still on the car.

Hope this helps.

trebuchet5684 04-28-2010 09:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks all. I did the same on Tech's recommendation. $7.50 at Lowe's and they both went in slick as snot. (That's 2" ID x 3" long plus a cap to beat on.) A good dose of axle grease helped too. I did not have to remove either knuckle from the car. In case this helps anyone else, pics are below.:cool:

rohde1 02-10-2016 07:47 PM

How are you guys getting the old ball joint out? Is there access on the hub to drive the ball joint down?

strelnik 02-11-2016 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by tech (Post 215597)
As long as it presses on the balljoint you can hit the opposite end of the pipe to straighten it.
Or do like I said originally said. Use the screws to put pressure on the balljoint and tap the balljoint in and keep tightening the screws at the same time. Hit the balljoint towards the inside like right next to the screws.

Great advice!

Does anyone know if this will work on the Volvo 960, in case I have to do ball joints?

Thanks!

cgerrells 04-21-2019 07:14 PM

Old thread, but I'll have to give this a shot tomorrow, I have spent the last 2 days trying to seat my drivers ball joint. Even tried driving it around to see if it would pop in, these things are a pita.

Originally Posted by trebuchet5684 (Post 215744)
Thanks all. I did the same on Tech's recommendation. $7.50 at Lowe's and they both went in slick as snot. (That's 2" ID x 3" long plus a cap to beat on.) A good dose of axle grease helped too. I did not have to remove either knuckle from the car. In case this helps anyone else, pics are below.:cool:

1967 Tempest 04-22-2019 04:50 AM

I have tried all kinds of things on ball joints. I bought this

to do the ball joins on this.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/volvofo...3806a1f172.jpg

Super easy. Just use a lot of WD-40 on the threads of the tool. You almost dont need an impact gun!!

0.02$$ Hope that helps.