Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   How much will an 2001 s80 t6 cost a year to keep up (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/how-much-will-2001-s80-t6-cost-year-keep-up-43548/)

oldgun31 07-17-2010 11:15 AM

How much will an 2001 s80 t6 cost a year to keep up

I have an 2001 s80 t6 with 100k.I have owned for 2 weeks and the sun roof rattles the bulbs go out and the trans a (japco ???) just died . I love the car but im out of money will more things pop up? What is the cost per year to keep up an car like mine ??? If you have an car like it let me know. would i be happy with an 60 0r 70 class?

jlewisinsyr 07-17-2010 12:18 PM

Unfortunately it's too broad of an answer to give. It varies on how well the car was maintained prior. The transmission is one of, if not the weakest part of the pre-2002 S80's in part to the GM design.

Bulbs are just wear and tear item, Volvo's do tend to burn through a few more bulbs but that is because of the daytime running lights (Volvo's DRLs also run parking lights). You can have the DRLs disabled that will save on the light replacement, but IMO, it's not worth it (you can get bulbs cheap if you stay away from the Autozone's of the world to buy them).

The sunroof rattle could just be a loose screw or it could be an indication that the car was in an accident before and things are not aligned well.

In the end, you're driving a car with 100,000 miles on it, things are going to go bad, things are going to need to be replaced.

gordon368 07-18-2010 03:09 AM

I would say 3000-4000$ per year if you have it done at the dealership and/or are not that good with cars.

mustang 07-19-2010 08:27 AM

Have these been repaired yet?

ABS, spend $1500 at the dealer
O2, Spend $900 at the dealer
ETM, Spend $1000 or so
Timing belt? Another $800

Since i've owned my 01 S80, i hit one per year. I do some of this myself, but expect 1-2K per year on average.

Not good cars, keep looking.

mikebrooks 07-21-2010 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by mustang (Post 226777)
Have these been repaired yet?

ABS, spend $1500 at the dealer
O2, Spend $900 at the dealer
ETM, Spend $1000 or so
Timing belt? Another $800

Since i've owned my 01 S80, i hit one per year. I do some of this myself, but expect 1-2K per year on average.

Not good cars, keep looking.

I hate when people say this, last time i checked every other car on the road has at least a 1k maint. a year also or you waste money on making honda's look ricey, but i would rather keep my volvo running for the same price it costs from a new front bumper on a P.O.S. riced out honda.

edit-i have owned 2 bmw's they have atleast $1-1.5k a year maint, mustang about $800, expidition $1k, honda $300 but money wasted to make it look decent over 3k, f-150 v8 probably over $600 extra just due to gas, 3000gt $1k

...so learn to replace your own crap and save over 2/3 of that like i do, but if that was done at dealer that's about how much it would cost per all cars types I have owned, so please STFU people about these cars costing a lot, what is this your 2nd car you ever owned?

vikingpwr 07-23-2010 11:53 PM

s80

Hi there
I own a 2003,s80,2.9non-turbo,59000 miles on it.To tell you the truth,I don't think I've spend more than $2000 in 7 years,maybe I'm just lucky or the car is great.Just put new tires-$750,had the motor mounts replaced,synthetic oil change,coolant flush/replaced $540,rear rotors/pads replaced $330,a few light bulbs and anything else was warranty..like the O2 sensors,trunk lock,recall on the fuel pump..can't think of anything else..Like I said maybe just lucky,also as you can see I don't drive much..less than 9k per year.So go figure,some people hate it,some love it,as I do:D
Hope this helps...good luck ;)

Magnum PI 07-24-2010 02:34 AM

While many forums say that the S80 is an unreliable beast, our 2000 S80 has been in the family for 10 years, with most repairs only coming in the past 2 years. Steering rack replaced, front bushings, upper spring caps, front struts, brake pads, and seems like every other month you have to replace a bulb or two. Also the two front turning lamps have fallen off due to the plastic cracking (easily replaced by rockautoparts.com $35 replacements), and the mouse fur A pillars had to be reglued. So for the first 8 years and 55,000 miles, no problems, it must be a 9-10 year cycle. The car runs great now and feels like it could last another 10 years. Repairs and parts are not cheap. But that is the price you pay for having a volvo... I've had a Porsche and several BMWs, so comparatively speaking, Volvo is reasonable. But compared to Honda and Toyota, it is higher. Any older high mileage car is going to cost you. That is a normal trade off. Make sure you find a good local mechanic/shop and enjoy.

DaWitchDocta69 07-24-2010 01:46 PM

I am also wondering if the people who bash these cars the same ones that try to turn luxury into a sports car. I have a 99 S80 & so far all I have done is replace the ABS module did the brakes replacing rotors & pads & did the timing belt but the mechanic says it was still new I added rims just because I didnt like the bottle cap looking rims, I replaced the Coolant reservoir because replacing the return line I pushed too hard & cracked the outlet but the bottle must have been on the car since it was born in 99. I am now looking into struts & shocks because NYC streets are the equivalent of maybe Afghanistan & Iraqi streets after road side bombing so the car suffers. I have driven to Massachusetts NJ & Pennsylvania like every other week & continue to feel safe & confident with the car. I have had a Mercury Sable piece of crap a Ford Taurus another piece of crap the handling on turns is just garbage & I had a Toyota Camry which was a great car but far from the creature comforts of my S80 so the S80 is a good car & all cars have flaws some more than others it's up to you to maintain it properly & drive it like a car not a race car & you will have longevity on maintenance. I am far from a slow driver & do drive my S80 hard I come from running RX7's & I know that the S80 is no RX so I don't drive it like one

brentvolvo 07-27-2010 01:08 AM

Maybe low yearly miles can help

Just reading the previous post about lower maintenance costs and driving less than 9K miles a year - I have only owned my 2002 S80 for a couple short months, no problems. With my current 1999 Dodge Ram Van, repairs decreased when a bought a 3rd car and only drive the Dodge 8K a year. When I drove it 12-15K a year everything was breaking. And that's when it had 50k miles on it!!!!!! Its the opposite of what you would think. Maybe high miles in a short time has a bad affect on cars. Well, lets hope so, I love the S80, handles well, comfortable, but if I start spending 2K a year on maintenance, well, the love could fade>>>>>>>>