Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   How to Remove Front Bumper Cover on 2002 S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/how-remove-front-bumper-cover-2002-s80-47903/)

jhkoziol 11-29-2010 11:35 PM

How to Remove Front Bumper Cover on 2002 S80

:DI need to remove the front bumper cover on my 2002 S80 in order to replace the left headlight assembly. Anyone know the tricks to get it off??

aok404 12-02-2010 11:43 AM

Here is the procedure:

Cover strip
Removal:
- Remove the side turn signal lamp;
- Remove the headlamp wiper (if there is one);
- Carefully detach the cover strip clips. Start at the short end at the wheel arch and work towards the grille.
Installation:
In reverse order

Front bumper casing
Removal
- Remove 6 screws (3 on either side -- 2 between the grille and the headlamp wiper, 1 beneath them under protecting cover);
- Drill out 8 rivets (4 in each wheel arch);
- Remove 11 clips above the grille by pressing down the center;
- Pull the bumper casing forward;
- Disconnect the connector on the left-hand side;
- Remove the casing.
Installation:
In reverse order. Be sure to position the casing in the guide channels.

jhkoziol 12-03-2010 12:18 PM

Thanx, aok404. This seems like a lot of work to replace a headlight assy! I believe I only have to remove the left side bumper cover far enough to get the headlight assy out. To remove that cover strip, do i just pry out the strip ? Do I have to drill out those rivets or can I pull the bumper casing back far enough to get the headlight out?

aok404 12-03-2010 01:28 PM

Sorry to disappoint you, but you will have to remove the entire bumper casing in order to replace a headlight assembly, which is being held in place by four screws. Removing and putting back the entire casing is not a big deal at all, except for the need to put new rivets in. So, just buy/borrow a riveting tool and purchase the rivets – they are a dollar a piece at Volvo dealers (cheaper at IPDUSA, FCPGroton, etc, but you will have to pay for shipping). Regarding the cover strip – remove the side turn signal lamp and start pulling the strip by the edges of the hole; you will see.

Kram 06-21-2019 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by jhkoziol (Post 246723)
Thanx, aok404. This seems like a lot of work to replace a headlight assy! I believe I only have to remove the left side bumper cover far enough to get the headlight assy out. To remove that cover strip, do i just pry out the strip ? Do I have to drill out those rivets or can I pull the bumper casing back far enough to get the headlight out?

You can just remove one side. I have just completed a headlight removal. It is a serious design flaw with these vehicles.
1) Remove the 7 push clips holding the front grill to the metal bracket across the front of the engine bay. (Push the pin down to release the clip, then lift the clip out of the hole)
2) Remove the bumper trim on the side you need access to (with the indicator repeater). Start at the side and work your way to the front. Remove connector to indicator repeater.
3) Drill out the 4 rivets holding the inner wheel lining to the bumper on the side you need access to. 4mm drill or 4.5mm.
4) Undo the 2 12mm (13mm?) bolts securing the bumper to the front of the chassis (one is accessed though the removed trim. The other is lower down accessed through the lower grill opening.)
5) Bumper can now be eased forward on this side to give enough clearance to access the hidden headlight bolts.
6) The headlight is retained with 4 smaller bolts, 10mm heads. One on the side, two on the top, one in by the radiator accessed through the front. I used a flexi-drive to access this one. It is a little tricky.
Replacement is reverse. Replace the 4 rivets in the inner wheel arch with plastic fasteners of some sort. You are supposed to buy new rivets from Volvo.