Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   How to replace left front headlight assembly? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/how-replace-left-front-headlight-assembly-47638/)

jhkoziol 11-19-2010 11:06 PM

How to replace left front headlight assembly?

Headlight assembly has a corroded off pin on the connector to the assembly. It appears that tha bumper cover needs to be removed. needs instructions to do this.

vikingpwr 11-20-2010 04:38 PM

Hi there.Replaced mine last year and don't remember exactly what i did but you don't need to remove the bumper cover.It's a little tricky ,you have to unscrew the black plastic part,as i remember ,it's only a cover,than when i tried to remove the connector,totally crumbled in my hands,so be careful there..if the same thing happens to you..the part is not expansive but you need to order it from the dealer.Here is the part# 30655965..it's called wiring harness.The prod.# is 9774519-001.This is only the wiring to the bulb,not the complete headlight removal!!!!!
Good luck and hope this helped..take care

jhkoziol 11-21-2010 11:54 AM

2002 Volvo S80 headlight assembly replacement

Originally Posted by vikingpwr (Post 245194)
Hi there.Replaced mine last year and don't remember exactly what i did but you don't need to remove the bumper cover.It's a little tricky ,you have to unscrew the black plastic part,as i remember ,it's only a cover,than when i tried to remove the connector,totally crumbled in my hands,so be careful there..if the same thing happens to you..the part is not expansive but you need to order it from the dealer.Here is the part# 30655965..it's called wiring harness.The prod.# is 9774519-001.This is only the wiring to the bulb,not the complete headlight removal!!!!!
Good luck and hope this helped..take care

Thanx for the info. I need to replace the complete headlight assembly as one of the pins on the assembly connector (located on the side lamp end) is rusted off. The bulb connector is also broken, like yours was. Any help on complete headlamp removal??

vikingpwr 11-21-2010 09:20 PM

Wish I knew and been able to help but I have no idea on the whole headlamp assembly,sorry and good luck..hope it's not going to make a big dent on the wallet.
good luck

orswitz 09-22-2014 11:02 AM

Headlamp Wire Harness?

1 Attachment(s)
To revive an old topic, what is required if you buy an aftermarket wire harness?

For example, I found one online but it's considerably cheaper than the $20-21 Volvo part.
What's the difference and do you have to splice the wires if there is no connector?

EEssary 01-31-2015 02:56 PM

Smarter headlight bulb replacement

This forum has been very helpful to me; my turn to give back.

Just replaced both low beam bulbs in my '02 V70 XC. Only driver's side burned out but have always been told to replace both and thought, other than greed, must be some reason they're sold in packs of two.

First read everything I could find in owners manual on it. Started with driver's side, had trouble getting cover off, getting connector loose, getting clip released, getting bulb out, etc. Don't think there's any easy way, but it would have been much easier if I had done the passenger side first.

It's the same process but there's much less in the way of your hands AND your eyes so you can see how things relate and respond to what you're trying to do. Once you've conquered that one, the driver's side will be less mysterious and frustrating, if not less difficult.:D

BTW, they'll have to pry my cold, dead hands off the steering wheel to take this car from me. Had lots of cars, some great but still at 110k miles, I've had none better!