Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   I need your help... (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/i-need-your-help-91878/)

White Chocoloate 03-16-2017 11:23 AM

I need your help...

So I have a 2005 Volvo S80 2.5T AWD with 138,000 miles.

About a month ago, I was driving. When I came to a stop, I felt a shudder and the car threw a code, the infamous P0101 Mass or Volume Airflow Performance Problem.

I replaced the Mass Airflow Sensor and all seemed well for about a month.

Yesterday, I was driving and all the sudden the car started vibrating and stalling and the check engine light came on with the display message Engine Service Required. I pulled over and pulled the codes. It was the same P0101.

I was only about a mile from home so I restarted the car and tried to drive. Now it was out of control. It was really vibrating and bucking and the triangle turned red and the message changed to Reduced Engine Performance.

Reduced my ass. It wouldn't even go above 3 - 5 miles an hour. And it would stall out completeley. Only stopping and restarting would get it to go another few hundred feet. Needless to say, it was a pain getting home into the driveway.

I reset the codes so I could start it again today to see if the same codes triggered.

When I did a cold start, I know something is wrong because instead of starting with a higher RPM (it was 32F this morning) it started at 600 - 700 RPM and stayed there.

Anyway, here are the codes I pulled this morning:

P0101 Mass or Volume Airflow Circuit Range / Performance Problem

P0100 Mass or Volume Airflow Circuit

P2402 Evaporative Emission System Leak Detect Pump Control Circuit High

Any ideas, guys, on what I should look at next? As I said, the Mass Airflow Sensor is new. What should be my next step?

I don't know anyone with VIDA and if I take it to the closest Volvo dealer (which is an hour away) I know I will be looking at $$$$. If there is anyone around the Pittsburgh / Monongahela / Belle Vernon area with VIDA/DICE I'd be grateful for any help.

Any ideas on what my next troubleshooting step should be? I'm scared to even drive it for fear of it stalling out in traffic.

The P0101 is the most recurring code it throws. The P2402 is new as of this morning.

Thanks,

Matt

Smith Volvo 03-16-2017 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by White Chocoloate (Post 444813)
So I have a 2005 Volvo S80 2.5T AWD with 138,000 miles.

About a month ago, I was driving. When I came to a stop, I felt a shudder and the car threw a code, the infamous P0101 Mass or Volume Airflow Performance Problem.

I replaced the Mass Airflow Sensor and all seemed well for about a month.

Yesterday, I was driving and all the sudden the car started vibrating and stalling and the check engine light came on with the display message Engine Service Required. I pulled over and pulled the codes. It was the same P0101.

I was only about a mile from home so I restarted the car and tried to drive. Now it was out of control. It was really vibrating and bucking and the triangle turned red and the message changed to Reduced Engine Performance.

Reduced my ass. It wouldn't even go above 3 - 5 miles an hour. And it would stall out completeley. Only stopping and restarting would get it to go another few hundred feet. Needless to say, it was a pain getting home into the driveway.

I reset the codes so I could start it again today to see if the same codes triggered.

When I did a cold start, I know something is wrong because instead of starting with a higher RPM (it was 32F this morning) it started at 600 - 700 RPM and stayed there.

Anyway, here are the codes I pulled this morning:

P0101 Mass or Volume Airflow Circuit Range / Performance Problem

P0100 Mass or Volume Airflow Circuit

P2402 Evaporative Emission System Leak Detect Pump Control Circuit High

Any ideas, guys, on what I should look at next? As I said, the Mass Airflow Sensor is new. What should be my next step?

I don't know anyone with VIDA and if I take it to the closest Volvo dealer (which is an hour away) I know I will be looking at $$$$. If there is anyone around the Pittsburgh / Monongahela / Belle Vernon area with VIDA/DICE I'd be grateful for any help.

Any ideas on what my next troubleshooting step should be? I'm scared to even drive it for fear of it stalling out in traffic.

The P0101 is the most recurring code it throws. The P2402 is new as of this morning.

Thanks,

Matt

sounds like an air mass meter would be a cheap try to me

ES6T 03-17-2017 05:54 AM

Dealer diagnosis is free.

Check for vacuum leaks or a dirty throttle. What brand MAF did you use?