Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   I'm gonna do an s80 head rebuild cause broken belt (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/im-gonna-do-s80-head-rebuild-cause-broken-belt-34542/)

comrade904 09-21-2009 10:10 PM

I'm gonna do an s80 head rebuild cause broken belt

Ok. this is my first post so, hello everyone and thanks for putting this forum together. For my actual question skip to the part that says "my question"

"How I got into this mess"

A friend, his mechanic and I were going to rent this garage to repair and flip cars. He is much older and experienced in doing this, or at least he was like 15 years ago. He worked out the details, for a three bay with lift and told me to move my tools in. I did and then set out find my fixer upper. I bought an S80 only to find that the lease WASN'T confirmed and now the owner only wants to rent two bays to us cause he want to store his smart car in the third. So now my "friend" and his mechanic decide, that because they brokered the deal they get the bays and I get my money back. I move my tools home, and now I have to clear my garage and do the work in my garage.

"The Mess"

I got a beautiful S80 t6 from a local college cutie (with rich parents aparently) with a belt that had broke. She said the car just stopped running in the drive way one day after she got home from school. She had the car taken to a dealer for a new belt which they put on, but then checked compression. #2 is low but I expect they stopped the test there cause thats all they wrote. (I have tons of reciepts for this work). The way I see it, the valves are only bent or they could not run the compression test long enough to get to cylinder #2. (there are no plugs in the head right now) The body is great, the driver seat in the only one with wear and even then with 150,000 miles it is miles better than this 98 BMW 528 with 120,000, and it is almost as good as my 99 Miata with 80k. All the windows work, sunroof, 4 disc changer, fans (can't test the ac). The power locks don't work but the battery was 100% dead when I got the car and I hear it has have the remote to re-activate them, which I have not gone to the dealer to get yet cause the car didn't come with one.

All this became mine for the low price of $800.

"The Question"

I've done a head gasket before on a watercooled Porsche, and I have done timing belts on DOHC engines with dual cam gears, without too much trouble. I intend to basically do a head gasket swap, except while the head is off I'll it to my "head guy" to be rebuilt. I have Vadis and it is telling me I need all these special tools. What I want to know is which of these Volvo tools are absolutely, mission critical. I have gear pullers and punches, breakers, and an engine hoist, but I am talking about the different crazy $450 each tools that Vadis talks about. I don't mind buy a tool or 2 if it is something I might need on other cars (non brand specific) or if it is like 100 bucks. However, if I can get this thing back on the road without too much more investment I might keep it for a while. It seems like a fun car that is right up my alley. (I'm not really a fan of mainstream cars like BMWs)

Oh well thanks and have agood night

tech 09-21-2009 10:25 PM

All you will need is the tool that locks the back of the cams.
The rest of them are not needed.

If you have not pulled the head yet let me know when you are ready to pull it with the cams locked.

This will make it alot easier.

comrade904 09-21-2009 11:24 PM

Big thanks, and when I get my somewhere that could be considered together, I will absolutely check in when I do it. I thought I had read that, then when I tried to find that post again the search crapped out on me.

on a side note you think some one might buy that tool used after I'm done with it?

tech 09-22-2009 07:11 PM

Someone might buy it you never know.

comrade904 09-24-2009 12:19 AM

I hate to let my ignorance show, but I would've thought that might be one of the easier tools to get away without. I the past I just set the crank at TDC, pull the head, and reinstall the head with the cams in tdc. Any chance of a universal tool working? I'm doing a MB I6 headgasket too.

S8ET6 09-24-2009 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by comrade904 (Post 182377)
Big thanks, and when I get my somewhere that could be considered together, I will absolutely check in when I do it. I thought I had read that, then when I tried to find that post again the search crapped out on me.

on a side note you think some one might buy that tool used after I'm done with it?

IPD has one that is reasonably priced:

http://www.ipdusa.com/product.asp?st...hStartRecord=1

And sure, I'll buy it from you after your finished with it. Just PM me.

edit: Oops, I just noticed that it's not for CVVT

tech 09-24-2009 07:08 PM

The tool in the link will not work.
If you do not remove the VVT pulley you can do it without the tool. But if you are removing the pulley you will need it. The pulley is not keyed or anything like that. So if you loosen the center screw it will spin on the cam all day long.

That is also why I said to contact me before pulling things apart. Because I will explain how to mark the pulley and stuff so you can remove the VVT pulley and get it back on properly without any other tools.

Some people have made the tool out of wood and had it work fine.

comrade904 09-26-2009 01:34 AM

Ahhhh. I guess I don't have much choice then cause the head will need to be rebuilt, and unless this thing is magic, the cams will have to be pulled to get the valves out.

wow though I can't believe the pulleys arn't keyed, it doesn't even sound like they are swedged. CRAZY.

I'm gonna see if I can find pictures or something of the wood tool.

tech 09-26-2009 08:30 AM

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc70-17/how-repair-timing-belt-head-gasket-bent-valves-18322/
Pics are in that post.