Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   interesting question about the Volvo 2.9 N/A engine. (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/interesting-question-about-volvo-2-9-n-engine-8902/)

HelgaTheS80 11-30-2006 05:36 AM

interesting question about the Volvo 2.9 N/A engine.

I have a guy who is working on my exhaust and rollcage fabrication on my 1967 Pontiac GTO, and I happened to roll up in the Volvo at his shoop the other day.

Now, this guy specializes SPECIFICALLY also in European and Import tuning, performance foreign engine builds, and also custom turbo setups for non turbo cars :). My GTO is the first domestic he's ever done fabrication work on, so he's really excited.

He seems EXTREMELY excited about when I showed up in my newly acquired S80, saying that basically the engine in the Volvo I have is a Toyota Supra engine turned sideways and set up for front wheel drive. He liked it also because he said since they were similar in design they both have really good high performance potential. Is this true? I mean, I know the parts are totally different and in no way related, but if he's right...technically the engines are identical. Not that I ever will, but Supra inline 6 engines can pump out 700 hp with one turbo, I think even just on the motor itself as a base.

His point made some logical sense, I actually have a friend who has a modified Supra and I heard his exhaust note. With the stock exhaust on right now, the sound is really muffled, but the pitch and tone sounded identical to the toyota engine.

I just wanted to see from some knowledgeable people if he is just giving me bad info or if he really can basically build this engine based off of the supra motors he builds and interpret it onto mine.

If I do anything with him, it's not going to be a whole lot. Mabye a cam and computer upgrade, and mabye a single turbo when funds permit, but who knows.

Thanks! :eek:

master_pre 11-30-2006 11:04 AM

RE: interesting question about the Volvo 2.9 N/A engine.

That's quite interesting!???!?? I look forward to hearing some feedback from the techies!

studd34000 11-30-2006 05:36 PM

wait so your saying you 67 GTO is a in line six or what??

studd34000 11-30-2006 05:39 PM

oh never mind your volvo dah sorry so i would have to say that an inline six motor dose put out a very distinct pitch. on the supras i think the turbo helps the pitch just from the extra piping. when we were putting my friends single setup on his supra we started it with and with out the turbo with no down pipe and it had a major(loud) pitches.

HelgaTheS80 11-30-2006 05:39 PM

ORIGINAL: studd34000

wait so your saying you 67 GTO is a in line six or what??
No. I'm talking about my S80 silly [8D]

My gto has a V8 461 Cubic inch EFI Pontiac engine with 300 cfm ported aluminum heads, hydraulic roller camshaft, custom made headers....and a custom aluminum intake manifold. I'm making 610 HP at the crankshaft on pump gas. :D

tech 11-30-2006 08:48 PM

I will have to try to look into that sounds lik esomething worth looking into.

master_pre 11-30-2006 11:59 PM

There we go, we've got the Uber-Techie looking into it! hahah

Let us know what you find out, I've never heard of a parallel being drawn between a Supra and a Volvo! That's awesome.

volvotechky 12-07-2006 09:10 PM

All volvo engines are built the same internally, all volvo engines in sweden are diesle, which diesel engines are stronger than gasoline engines, when i went to sweden for volvo, the cars they test, they test at 12,000 RPM, the engines are incrediably stout, the ONLY engine trouble we see at ALL is lack of oil changes, i have seen s80's roll in with the lifters pecking aand have about a quart of oil in em, and no metal in the filter..

the are stout engines and built as well as the supra