Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Intermittant Instrument Cluster Problem (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/intermittant-instrument-cluster-problem-21348/)

nicks 07-06-2008 12:04 PM

Intermittant Instrument Cluster Problem

Hi,

I have a 03 S80 D5 and just recently I've had an intermittant problem with the instrument cluster keep on resetting. If I start the car after a long wait, say overnight, everything is fine. But if I run the car for a while and stop then start it again I will sometimes see the problem. The problem is that the instrument cluster completely dies for about a second then comes back on for about 5 seconds then dies again and so on for about 10 - 15 minutes then it seems to be ok until I stop and start again. I think it is a reset issue as the odometer will go back to the mileage it was at when the problem started, I've recently done a 40 mile trip and only added 17 miles to the car, nice but not ideal from a service point of view. I do not get any error or warning messages at all. Any ideas or help greatly appreciated.

Nick

tech 07-06-2008 09:51 PM

RE: Intermittant Instrument Cluster Problem

Is the ABS light on at all?

mncx 07-06-2008 11:25 PM

03 uses newer styleBCM (brake control module)unit instead of an ABS module (2001 and below)... Rarely dies.... Could be a network issue. Is there any other function of the car not working??? windows, seat, climate control, sunroof???

nicks 07-07-2008 05:39 AM

Hi Tech,

Thanks for the quick response, No I have no warning or error lights or messages at all, not even when it's doing it's reset thing. Every thing seems normal except for the loss of instrumentation for the second or so.

Nick

nicks 07-07-2008 05:46 AM

Hi mncx,

Thanks for the quick response, all functions seem to be working ok it's just the instrument cluster that's showing any problems, and only when all systems have warmed up. As I said in the original post there are no problems from a cold start, no matter how long I drive for. I only seem to get this issue from a warm start. Is there any way to test the network? or is that a trip to the dealer? I do have access at work to CAN monitoring devices but not the volvo command database.

Nick

tech 07-07-2008 06:02 PM

ORIGINAL: mncx

03 uses newer styleBCM (brake control module)unit instead of an ABS module (2001 and below)... Rarely dies.... Could be a network issue. Is there any other function of the car not working??? windows, seat, climate control, sunroof???
Just FYI I have done atleast 5 2003 or newer modules already this year. It still must have something to do with the Hot climate.

mncx 07-08-2008 09:27 PM

Taking it back to dealer to reload module??? I guess Canada is not that hot... so I guess I've only seen 1.... A lot of stuff happend up in Canada other area don't either...

ORIGINAL: tech

ORIGINAL: mncx

Just FYI I have done atleast 5 2003 or newer modules already this year. It still must have something to do with the Hot climate.

mncx 07-08-2008 09:33 PM

it's really hard to see what problem it is without knowing fault tracing code... The only other thing that u can do (BUT NOT RECOMMENDEDIF U DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO ERASING CODES FROM CAN NETWORK) is to unplug the module that is last in the line until the instrument cluster comes back up.. but can generate more codes that can lead to mis-diagnosis if u taking it into the dealer.

ORIGINAL: nicks

Hi mncx,

Thanks for the quick response, all functions seem to be working ok it's just the instrument cluster that's showing any problems, and only when all systems have warmed up. As I said in the original post there are no problems from a cold start, no matter how long I drive for. I only seem to get this issue from a warm start. Is there any way to test the network? or is that a trip to the dealer? I do have access at work to CAN monitoring devices but not the volvo command database.

Nick