Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Just bought a 2003 S80 T6... problems abound (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/just-bought-2003-s80-t6-problems-abound-66237/)

jhebert 10-11-2012 09:11 PM

Just bought a 2003 S80 T6... problems abound

OK so I got a screaming deal on a 2003 S80 T6 w/ 90,000 miles for $1200, knowing at least turbo needed a rebuild, as it had a bad seal and was dumping white smoke. Father in law volunteered to do the rebuilds and help me remove/replace them.

I admittedly focused on the mechanical when I was inspecting it and didn't inspect the exterior well enough, I knew it had been in an accident with no airbag deployment leading to salvage title (carfax+DMV lined up with owners description) but the owner said it was completely rebuilt. Not quite. It's probably the shoddiest job I've ever seen, there are 2 plugs I can't identify dangling near the lights, but both side markers, blinkers, and hi/low beams work, fogs don't but are connected. On top of that, the Pax side side markers were not installed properly, both the running light and the blinker. First time I drove it today the running light cover fell off and is gone, the blinker was not installed properly AND the paint looks much more faded than the rest of the car, leading me to believe the shop used salvage yard parts to put it together.

so on to a series of questions-

#1- My sunroof doesn't respond to input, all fuses are intact, I understand that it can be related to the siren module, however my lights do flash when i lock/unlock, and panic button does set the car off. I do not have an alarm system requires maintenance notification. Could it still be siren module causing me problems? I've tried locking and relocking the car multiple times, the battery was flat dead when I got the car, installed a new battery this morning.

#2- I looked at the technician page someone posted (I believe here) on removing the Turbo, but it said you need to remove the right drive shaft. Can anyone explain this? I can reach back and touch the pax side turbo easily and my father in law after looking said he believes he can access the drivers side turbo without removing it.

#3 I know the trannies on the T6 in this year range were problematic, but this one checked out fine, are there any early warning symptoms I should watch for that will warn me something is about to go wrong and I can get ahead of it?

#4- are there any cheap places to get small body parts like the side markers?

#5- Fog lights- foglights appear to be connected, when i press the button on the dash it lights green and no error message pops up but no lights come on. Rear fog says dead bulb....except I can't find the rear foglight to replace the bulb...

#6- my car has fuses for heated seats, but I have no dash buttons to turn them on, is this typical? I live in southern California so heated seats aren't exactly important to me but I'd like to know.

#7- I've got the On-Call system with phone and whatnot, is there any way to change it from the craptastic onboard phone to bluetooth? I love having the keypad on the dash, steering wheel controls, and speaker behind my head, but have no use for yet another phone number. If I could continue all of the on board controls with a paired bluetooth cell phone it would be amazing. I'm fairly tech oriented (I'm much more tech inclined than mechanically) so i'm not afraid of doing custom wiring but I'd love a nice kit to do it with.

#8- Anything else I should know?

bobmac010 11-10-2012 01:06 PM

Having only been a Volvo owner for 1.5 years, I can only advise on items #3 and #6.
#3- First thing you may notice on the T6 tranny is that is delays shift into 2nd gear. You may also notice that, when using the manual shift, downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. The tranny will "freewheel" instead of engaging 2nd. This behavior will eventually progress to other gears. When this happens, don't drive it any further than you want to walk...
#6- Heated Seats are activated by pressing the buttons, one for driver and one for passenger, on the right side of the center console in front of the shift lever.
You may still have places for the fuses, (and fuses may be installed), even without this option. It IS an option. See link below:
VOLVO S80 T6 (1998 - 2003) Technical Specifications & Features
Hope this helps...
Bob