Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Just bought 215k mile S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/just-bought-215k-mile-s80-21592/)

zspeed78 07-16-2008 06:07 PM

Just bought 215k mile S80

Hi everyone,

I just picked up my parents 2000 Volvo S80 with 215k miles. They bought the car two years ago with 200k miles.

I wanted to write to let people see that these cars can make it to high miles and be in great condition still.

We did have the steering rack seal go out at 213k and I ended up installing a new rack myself for them. But other than that the car has been great, still gets us about 25 mpg highway. No oil leaks on the drive way. Passed california smog and now nevada smog. Everything holding up great, except the seats are starting to have small hairline dryness cracks, but no rips anywhere. Paint looks great.

Now that its my car I hope I can learn a lot of detailed info from this site and keep the car for a long time. Im not sure what Ill do with it when it reaches 250k+.. because I doubt anyone will buy it then, so it may just be mine forever.

See you guys around.
Paul

Eric J 07-16-2008 07:34 PM

RE: Just bought 215k mile S80

Welcome to the forum Zspeed78.

Thanks for giving me more confidence in mine.

jks2 07-17-2008 09:21 AM

Welcome.

air force rascal 07-18-2008 02:37 AM

WHEW !!! I needed that...LOL[sm=chattypair.gif]

catalistt 07-18-2008 01:53 PM

hello very impressive milage you got there a real teastement to the strenth of volvos!!

patrickh 07-19-2008 10:06 AM

well that makes me feel better about my 04 S80 with 54K. Hopefully I'll go to 250k actually getting tinted as i type!

catalistt 07-19-2008 04:17 PM

tinted nice!!1 post some pics !!

zspeed78 03-02-2010 11:21 PM

247,000 miles as of 2/1/2010.

Nothing has been done since ~215k other than change the oil about 3 times.

andrei3333 03-03-2010 05:28 PM

One of the few positive threads around here, but then again, people go to sleep when there are no problems, but once the problems arise they start cursing and posting

thanks i needed that, me and the wife were just discussing our future plans for the S80, i got over 209.000 KM on mine and spent big money on fixing things up within the last year and a half that i have owned it (steering rack rebuilt including so i know how you feel)...

decided to keep it and see where that goes, but i think the next big break down will be it for us...

i guess i inherited a lot of the previous owner's problems but here is a list of thing i have done to it whether it be by choice or out of necessity:

-steering rack rebuild (lost all fluid in a parking lot)[obviously with new fluid in there now]
-2 outed tie rods
-1 inner tie rod
-did alignment 3 times (within a year and a half because of the work done)
-4 new all season tires (falken 912's)
-brake fluid flush
-tranny filter replaced and fluid drained and refilled
-coolant drain and refill
-air filter
-synthetic engine oil
-spark plugs
-fuel filter
-2 of 4 oxygen sensors replaced
-(timing belt and all brake pads and discs were done by the dealer before i bought it)
-viscous transmission coupling (a 5 dollar part that required lots of work to replace)
-2 ignition coils
-Turbo boost sensor
-battery
-headlight bulbs
-licence plate bulbs
-fixed washer fluid pump
-replaced the stupid headlight wiper blades and windshield wiper blades
-fixed stupid pop up cup holder that holds almost nothing but a cell phone
-sprayed the underbody with Loctite Maxi Coat for rust protection
-and a few other little things like lubricating sunroof and putting a few stainless screws to hold the bumpers in place properly

getting about 550-600 KM on a tank of Shell 91 so im happy for now,

good luck

jlewisinsyr 03-04-2010 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by andrei3333 (Post 208039)
i guess i inherited a lot of the previous owner's problems but here is a list of thing i have done to it whether it be by choice or out of necessity:

-steering rack rebuild (lost all fluid in a parking lot)[obviously with new fluid in there now]
-2 outed tie rods
-1 inner tie rod
-did alignment 3 times (within a year and a half because of the work done)
-4 new all season tires (falken 912's)
-brake fluid flush
-tranny filter replaced and fluid drained and refilled
-coolant drain and refill
-air filter
-synthetic engine oil
-spark plugs
-fuel filter
-2 of 4 oxygen sensors replaced
-(timing belt and all brake pads and discs were done by the dealer before i bought it)
-viscous transmission coupling (a 5 dollar part that required lots of work to replace)
-2 ignition coils
-Turbo boost sensor
-battery
-headlight bulbs
-licence plate bulbs
-fixed washer fluid pump
-replaced the stupid headlight wiper blades and windshield wiper blades
-fixed stupid pop up cup holder that holds almost nothing but a cell phone
-sprayed the underbody with Loctite Maxi Coat for rust protection
-and a few other little things like lubricating sunroof and putting a few stainless screws to hold the bumpers in place properly

getting about 550-600 KM on a tank of Shell 91 so im happy for now,

good luck

I looked over that list, and I don't really see much that wouldn't be normal for most cars over 100,000 miles. The only exception I think would be the rack, but even that isn't completely uncommon in other cars over 100,000 miles.

andrei3333 03-04-2010 05:44 PM

yes i know, but its the fact that these things went wrong like one after another ( ie me needing to do alignment 3 different times)

for a period of about 2 months straight i basically got a check engine light, fixed it, next week got a new check engine light, fixed it and next week a new one...i almost snapped

that and the prices for parts that are mostly out of wack (except the coils were reasonable)

i dunno, im keeping it for now just cause i cant afford the car that i really want yet and because its running perfect right now,, so we'll see how long this lasts...

jlewisinsyr 03-04-2010 08:24 PM

If you know where to get parts, even OEM can be a lot cheaper then going to the local dealership.

andrei3333 03-04-2010 09:25 PM

sometimes i used local retailers, other times i used autopartsway.ca and a few times i used the dealer,

web sites have this 75 dollar shipping minimum, otherwise you pay for shipping...

blackluxury 03-05-2010 12:07 AM

I also have the dreaded 99 s80 (N/A), Have had it almost 2yrs with absolutly no problems at all. currently has 175xxx miles on it & drives better than most brand new cars! Super smooth & super quiet. Altho i do have some type of oil that has just started leakin up front closer to the passenger side. Any ideas? Havent had a chance to check it out, i jus drive it on pretty days on weekends as its all black.(new paint) Could that possibly be a rack in pinion problem? Oil color is dark lookin not like power steering fluid.

NoLifeTilBoost 03-05-2010 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by blackluxury (Post 208324)
I also have the dreaded 99 s80 (N/A), Have had it almost 2yrs with absolutly no problems at all. currently has 175xxx miles on it & drives better than most brand new cars! Super smooth & super quiet. Altho i do have some type of oil that has just started leakin up front closer to the passenger side. Any ideas? Havent had a chance to check it out, i jus drive it on pretty days on weekends as its all black.(new paint) Could that possibly be a rack in pinion problem? Oil color is dark lookin not like power steering fluid.

Its likely leaking from the PCV Oil trap. Cheap part to replace, but time consuming. I was losing over 1qt/30miles through mine!!! In most cases the trap gets blocked from what Iv'e read. In my case, the hose clamp on the bottom of the Oil trap was loose!

blackluxury 03-07-2010 07:12 PM

Thanx for the heads up!! Ill try to look at it tomorrow