Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   keyless entry question and suspension questions (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/keyless-entry-question-suspension-questions-28542/)

wetgloves 03-16-2009 07:12 PM

keyless entry question and suspension questions

a few questions.
bought a 2001 s80 t6 for my wife a few months back. sadly, it only came with a valet key. with a new born the keyless remote would be a god send for her.
however, the local dealership want close to 180.00 just for the remote.
a local foriegn used auto parts/slavage business i deal with has just got in a 2002 s80 t6, with a a remote.
my question is can that remote be programed to my '01, if so is it a dealer only program? (i doubt its as simple as some american cars of a ground wire and setting the lock pattern)
i also have dibs on the whole ingnition system. would it be simplier to just swap it all out or is that a bigger p.i.a?

i also need to replace the rear struts. the local napa computer says there are two different types of suspesion for the model year. i didn't really feel like picking the counter guys brain, but what are the different types?
is it a base for the s80, and a different on for the t6? did the t6 come with mupile choices in suspension?
just at a glance with out tearing into it yet it seems to be a simple strut cartridge up through the spring kind of set up.
thanks in advance for the help.

Johnny Mullet 03-16-2009 08:23 PM

Sadly, you are going to have to get the correct remote for the car and have the dealer program it. You do not want to try and do an ignition swap! Trust Me!!!!

While you are calling the dealer, have your VIN# handy and they may also ask for a spring code. Maybe they can inform you what struts/springs are on the car.

spunkymonky 03-16-2009 08:26 PM

The remote is not programmable without the pin number that comes with it and only by the dealer. You can find dozens of remotes on ebay but they are all useless except for parts. A cheaper place to get it than the dealer is myswedishparts.com I believe they sell them for about $85 and then take it to your dealer to have it programmed, who will probably charge between $40 to $125.

The 2 different types of shocks have to do with self leveling. One type is self leveling the other is not. Not sure how exactly you can tell except I believe the original self levelers are black and the non self levelers are yellow but don't quote me on this.

wetgloves 03-16-2009 09:48 PM

i figured as much with the remote. as far as the pin goes, out of curiousity, where would one find it?

the shocks on the rear of the car are def black. however, they've may been changed at some point in the past 8 years. in regards to the self leveling: is it air, gas, hydrolic controled etc?