Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   LED Modification (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/led-modification-47464/)

537playing 11-14-2010 08:12 PM

LED Modification

3 Attachment(s)
I had too much time on my hands and decided to add these blue LEDs to my interior. The radio was the hardest to perform as I needed to remove the old bulbs and create a series of three LEDs per side with a resistor on each and then do some soldering. The other lights were removed and replaced each bulb to a LED. The buttons on the lower part of the Climate control was tricky as well only because of popping out the switch housing from the rear. I still want to switch out the remaining lights and am looking for suggestions and ideas.

tech 11-14-2010 08:45 PM

I like it! I am hoping to do the 850 soon.

SACS80 11-15-2010 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by 537playing (Post 244387)
I had too much time on my hands and decided to add these blue LEDs to my interior. The radio was the hardest to perform as I needed to remove the old bulbs and create a series of three LEDs per side with a resistor on each and then do some soldering. The other lights were removed and replaced each bulb to a LED. The buttons on the lower part of the Climate control was tricky as well only because of popping out the switch housing from the rear. I still want to switch out the remaining lights and am looking for suggestions and ideas.

Looks great. I'm trying to do the same thing on my car. Do you mind posting the items you used and a short bit of instructions? Thanks.. :)

jlewisinsyr 11-15-2010 11:30 AM

Will say it looks nice, but seems like a lot of work just for a different color.

matt199x 11-19-2010 09:51 PM

looks badass!

poopbunny 11-20-2010 06:41 AM

Good job. I have also replaced my dash with blue LED's but left the trip indicator and clock green. I found the LED's made the center brighter than the edges and was not evenly lit throughout. The message display on the left is not so easily changed. The front of the LED sits a lot closer to the front than the bulb. I have bought nearly every LED out there to experiment.

537playing 11-20-2010 07:25 AM

agreed

volvos8087 11-21-2010 06:52 PM

what kind of leds did you use for the gauge cluster? i am very impressed with your job and it looks very nice.

537playing 11-21-2010 07:15 PM

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...s%2F24-xHP.htm

I used these for the gauge cluster. You pull out the old bulbs from their bases and insert the new ones. I kept refering back to superbrightleds as they have diagrams with measurements in case you are not sure which ones to order.

elmo_allen 11-23-2010 02:20 PM

I started a post a long time ago about this and it has some instructions about it. Hope this helps. Never got around to doing this but it is on my to do list.

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/instrument-cluster-lights-26355/

537playing 11-23-2010 08:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I changed some additional lighting with a touch of red. Looks better with this combination.

elmo_allen 11-24-2010 11:54 AM

I like that a lot. Is the blue harsh, or is it comfortable to look at. It looks like it would be easy on the eyes, but I was just wondering because I am sensitive to harsh lighting.

537playing 11-24-2010 03:10 PM

The blue is very soft. The pictures show them as if theyare veryverybright, but they aren't that over powering.

rsxer63 11-24-2010 07:54 PM

Are they still dimmable?

537playing 11-24-2010 08:06 PM

yes they are!

andrei3333 11-25-2010 08:22 PM

ummm instructions please ?!!?

537playing 11-25-2010 08:41 PM

I started this project with little knowledge. After reading about other LED instructions, I did the same steps as theirs and kept on experimenting. Everything is simple if you keep it simple. Most LED replacements were just standard lights. I took the old bulbs and compared its dimensions on this website: www.superbrightleds.com. Twist them out, twist the new ones in.
You are dealing with electronics and plastics so be careful!
The hardest mod was the radio. I couldn't just replace the bulbs. I had to run two series of three LEDS with a resistor and some soldering. The red light on the radio is just removing a filter and changing its color.

rsxer63 11-26-2010 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by 537playing (Post 245783)
I started this project with little knowledge. After reading about other LED instructions, I did the same steps as theirs and kept on experimenting. Everything is simple if you keep it simple. Most LED replacements were just standard lights. I took the old bulbs and compared its dimensions on this website: www.superbrightleds.com. Twist them out, twist the new ones in.
You are dealing with electronics and plastics so be careful!
The hardest mod was the radio. I couldn't just replace the bulbs. I had to run two series of three LEDS with a resistor and some soldering. The red light on the radio is just removing a filter and changing its color.

Do you have a list of bulb part numbers and quantities needed to do what you did?