Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Many problems-$$ (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/many-problems-%24%24-7410/)

taker94 08-25-2006 05:53 PM

Many problems-$$

Hey

Just did a 108 000 km maintenance today on my 2002 S80 T6 with Volvo. Here`s the list of problems:

Cracked top plates (2) and top mount (1)
cracked timing belt
1 loose front/ inner tie rod & 1 loose front outer tie rod
2 worn front stoppers
2 front and 2 rear cracked table bushings

What are top plates and table bushings? Should the timing belt be cracked at this low kilometres? Any of these repairs simple enough to do myself?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

tech 08-25-2006 10:02 PM

RE: Many problems-$$

What is your Backround Knowledge? (With cars that is?)

The top plates are most likely the upper spring seats.
Top mount most likely the upper engine mount.

Have no idea on the Table bushings.
If my Math is correct the milage should be about 70,000 miles.
The timing belt wil show signs or wear/cracks then. Volvo reccomends 105,000 MILES for the belt but I have seen them break at 60,000 miles. Also make sure if you have it done you have the Tensioner and Idler replaced as well. It will be like $180.00 US extra for the Parts but no labor.
If the Belt Breaks or the tensioner or Idler breaks then it will cost about $3500.00 US tp get it fixed.

taker94 08-26-2006 10:55 AM

Hey tech

I'm pretty green with cars but being a structural engineer, technical tasks don't frighten me too much!

Does a cracked belt always correlate into a bad pulley and tensioner? Also, I can't find ANY info on these damn table bushings! What/where the heck are they?

I'm willing to give some repairs (not the belt) a try so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

tech 08-26-2006 12:25 PM

I still can't figure out what TABLE bushings are. Did they tell you where they are?

If you have done suspension work before like struts then the spring seats should be pretty easy.
The tie rods are pretty simple but the car needs an alignment afterwords.

Worn stoppers I assume they are talking about the steering stop mounted on the control arms. Which is also easy to do 2 screws per side.

The timing belt leave to the Pro's.

taker94 08-26-2006 09:11 PM

I have never done suspension work. Any tips or pointers would be great!

Thx

tech 08-27-2006 11:55 AM

It might be a pain then. You would have to get a Spring compressor for thr springs and it is a pretty dangerous job for first timers.

The springs are under alot of pressure.

taker94 08-28-2006 02:20 PM

Thanks for the advice.
Do you think that I could do the tie-rods and stoppers? Any special tools required for those jobs?

tech 08-28-2006 09:22 PM

You should be able to manage.
They are a pain to reach but you should be able to do them.
The stoppers if they are what I think they are yes 2 screws each one.

taker94 08-30-2006 01:42 PM

Ok

Here is the Volvo techs response to Table Bushings:

On your 2002 S80 T6, your table bushing are located at the bottom of the vehicule. Basically it is where your ball joint and wheel bearing are located. The table bushings job is to take the pressure and beatings of our roads pivoting up and down rather than making the shocks do all the work the bushings will ease the ride and save the work on the shocks.

Does this clear it up because I'm still uncertain.

tech 08-30-2006 09:17 PM

Im still confused as well but maybe the Control Arm bushings is what he means?

stein1535 12-28-2010 10:27 PM

I have to also replace both outer tie rods... any tips? I've never done this before either.