Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Missfiring? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/missfiring-28738/)

andrei3333 03-22-2009 01:15 PM

Missfiring?

1999 S80 T6 with 192.000 KM

Ok so i turn the car on in the morning and it starts shaking,,,start driving and the check engine light comes on and starts flashing, "emisison service required" also lit up, if im standing check engine light is on, but while im driving its flashing

idle needle is steady, but car is shaking, needle may dip but still stays steady not playing up and down

what causes a missfire ? bad injector, bad coil ? what else ?

i just put in fuel injector cleaner but that was like over 100 KM ago on a fresh tank ,, always premium gas, car burns oil, but its above the min level right now

Please help, this car is always breaking down, first it was two o2 sensors, then the check engine light would not go away, not its this

Johnny Mullet 03-22-2009 01:28 PM

If the check engine light is flashing, then that means there is a missfire and possible cat damage can occur if you keep driving it like that. Start with the basics and inspect.........

Spark plugs
Wires
Cap
Rotor

andrei3333 03-22-2009 01:35 PM

what cap and rotor are you referring to ?
this car has coils and coils dont have a distributor cap

erndawg 03-22-2009 10:38 PM

I had a plug fail and it had those symptoms. Like JM said, the flashing means the cat converter could be damaged. When the ECM thinks a cylinder is misfiring bad enough to get unburned fuel into the cat, then it flashes obnoxiously. Of course, a failed coil will do the same thing. Go to AutoZone, borrow a loaner OBDII reader, get the code, and see what it reads. My guess is it will identify the misfiring cylinder.

abflip567 03-23-2009 06:51 AM

if it is infact misfiring, check plugs and coils. then if that does not fix it, wires, and injectors.

gordo 03-23-2009 07:01 AM

I had a section of bare wire (about 1/4 inch) to one of my coils that must have been arcing. A bit of electrical tape seems to have done the trick, no more misfires.

andrei3333 03-23-2009 03:54 PM

missfire cylinder 2, 3 detected, both coils replaced and all 6 plugs replaced. plugs looked nasty, some had oil on them, not significat, except one. coils were fractured under the rubber grommet, possibly from heat. cant imagine 2 coils failing at the same time

could have gone through the coils and switched them for testing, but had no time, had to fix the car right away...

The car burns more oil than it should though, on synthetic 5w-30 castrol syntec, and premium fuel...

topherwv 09-17-2009 10:55 AM

got the same problem with my 05' s40 2.4i...

i've replaced my spark plugs and found oil on plug 2.

getting ready to replace two coil packs.. did you every find your "smokin' gun"

thanks,

andrei3333 09-17-2009 10:24 PM

yeah it was coils # 2, 3 at the same time, , they were cracked under the rubber grommet, i changd the plugs at that time while everything was taken apart and seemd that coild # 4, 5 was aftermarket as well, while coild # 1, #6 looked original, cant belive how broken these cars can get, but then again other cars have their problem areas too...good luck

topherwv 09-18-2009 03:51 PM

great,

thanks for the reply... I ordered two coil packs today... hopefully this should take care of it... i agree about the issues... it seems when Ford bought Volvo they put their hand in the engineering mix and over-engineered...

thanks again.