Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Multiple Engine Misfire....computer is pulling up code but the car drives ok??? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/multiple-engine-misfire-computer-pulling-up-code-but-car-drives-ok-9514/)

HelgaTheS80 01-09-2007 09:28 PM

Multiple Engine Misfire....computer is pulling up code but the car drives ok???

Well, another problem arose today. It wasn't anything that prevented me from driving the car, but the check engine light has been on for awhile and I decided to try and figure out what was going on.

I borrowed a friend's autozone diagnostic OBDII reader to check it out, one code came up saying that the engine was having multiple misfires. Now, me being mechanically inclined, I suspected either the coil packs or the spark plugs. I figured I'd try the cheaper fix first (the coil packs are like 63.00 from the dealer each) and see if the spark plugs were the cause of the problem.

I'm glad I pulled them, because this car has 133,000 miles on it and I know without a doubt these were the ones original to the car. They were WELL BEYOND worn out. Somewhat relieved, I replaced them myself with new denso plugs and put them back on, also reinstalling the coil packs and refastening them down. I thought it was problem solved.

...Apparently not. After putting them in and letting the car run for about 5 minutes with the new ones installed, I cleared out the code with the diagnostic tool and the check engine light comes back on again. Plug back in the diagnostic reader yet again, the computer is sending out the same code....multiple engine misfire.

I don't get it. The car isn't driving funny and I'm assuming that if the plugs are getting spark that the coil packs should be alright. What could be causing the problem?

I want to see if I can fix this problem myslelf. I try to avoid taking my car to the dealer at all costs because I don't have the money for the insane service charges they ring up, especially because I'm comfortable doing my own repairs. I'm also a broke college student, so I really don't have the money to pay someone to fix it. That's why I've forced myself to learn how to fix my car when it breaks so I don't have to fork out money on labor I don't have to spare right now. However, I've tried to take it to several local shops here where I live and they won't try to diagnose it for me because they say that Volvos are not worth their time (too costly and complicated I guess) so if I have to take it into the dealer to have it cleared out, I guess I'll have to.

The other reason why I've avoided the dealer is because there isn't one locally where I live. The nearest dealer is nearly an hour away and if my car is down it makes it almost impossible to have it serviced at an official dealer.

P.S. This STILL isn't the only code popping up! After I put on the new 18" Voxx wheels I'm getting "DRIVE SLOWLY, SERVICE URGENT" and I put on a new custom sport dual exhaust and even though it's only from the cats on back it's pulling "EMISSION SYSTEM SERVICE REQUIRED." Oh and still the same STC, ABS and SRS AIRbag ones too [:'(]

Ugh

tech 01-09-2007 09:38 PM

RE: Multiple Engine Misfire....computer is pulling up code but the car drives ok???

Is only one code coming up?
Or does any specify a cylinder?

If so swap the coils around and see if the cylinder # changes.

HelgaTheS80 01-09-2007 09:41 PM

RE: Multiple Engine Misfire....computer is pulling up code but the car drives ok???

No, that's the problem with the cheapie autozone code readers. All it's telling me is that the engine is misfiring in more than one cylinder, but that's all. Nothing else.

I actually have a mechanic friend who has one of the HIGH END 5,000 dollar diagnostic portable handhelds that has all the bells and whistles, and even it couldn't reset OR troubleshoot any of the codes on my Helga.

Oh, and I tried that already....it did nothing.

And this is only one of several codes the computer is showing. Unfortunately, I've found out with my car (and from local mechanics) that almost all code readers cannot read/interpret the specific Volvo trouble codes. That's entitled to the dealership only. About all they can do is check the check engine light and the MAS. Generic stuff. So what's triggering the others, I have no honest idea. It's almost like once I am able to clear one off the computer, yet another one shows up [:@]

And seriously, my S80 HATES modifications! The 18" Voxx wheels and tires I put on and the exhaust system I got for christmas have set off another 2 lights/notices already.

I really do love my car, but I am really starting to see how unusually often these cars seem to act up and break down :/. And trust me, I'm not liking it at all. I've found out being only 19 years old, not having a job and going to University as a student full time AND owning a Volvo S80 don't mix at all.

studd34000 01-09-2007 10:08 PM

well i had to replace my coil packs on my t6. i dont know if its the same coil packs but i think i have two or three i will sell to you for cheaper than volvo will and they are from volvo brand new alsoi paid seventy for each one.

HelgaTheS80 01-09-2007 10:17 PM

ORIGINAL: studd34000

well i had to replace my coil packs on my t6. i dont know if its the same coil packs but i think i have two or three i will sell to you for cheaper than volvo will and they are from volvo brand new also i paid seventy for each one.
I'm very interested, but first I want to rule everything else out and mabye let tech do some more thinking before I buy them.

HelgaTheS80 01-10-2007 11:53 PM

Just an update: I tracked down the bad coil pack by trial and error swapping the coil packs around again for an hour in my garage (it was almost like playing musical chairs, quite annoying) and I FINALLY got the computer to tell me what cylinder was misfiring. It's the #4 one. Thank goodness I only need to buy one instead of more.

stud, by the time you'll have read this...check your pm's.